Essential Pedals. What's Yours?

'2204'

Reaction score
SLP 1959 / 2203 - Tuner - SD1 - BED - HOF. I use a Boss LS to separate the Prescription Electronics Yardbird, Wilson Wah & Fulltone DejaVibe.
I had a Prescription Electronics 'Yardbox' back in the 90`s--decent pedal for the LZ-1 tones.

Attachments

• IM002572.JPG
    IM002572.JPG
    793.8 KB · Views: 1

december

Reaction score
If I could only have one pedal, it would have to be delay. Source Audio Nemesis is great because it has every possible tap division and subdivision, stereo I/O, pitch shifting types, complex rhythmic multi-taps. And hi & low cut controls to fit it in the mix. I use it on guitar and bass a lot.
Revv G4 is my must-have distortion.
Horizon Devices Precision Drive makes the distortion perfect, with an Attack (tight) knob, bright knob, and built-in adjustable gate, there's no need for another pedal just for the gate.
Chorus is always on for clean tones. And a Friedman Buxom Boost. I know most people use clean boosts before dirt but this one really makes the clean tones more defined. It has EQ and a Tight knob, which I really wanted for cleans because I do a lot of clean palm-muting, and the Precision Drive can't do a clean boost. Tight tightens the low end but then you can boost the bass to make up for lost low end but it still stays tight.
For bass: a compressor is necessary. A real comp, with attack, release, threshold and ratio. I've got the Keeley Comp Pro, w/hard & soft knee. It's great, quieter than I thought a comp could be. Always on for bass and clean guitar.
Since I got the EHX Tri-Parallel Mixer I could not go without it now. I'm running 3 simultaneous distortions (G4, Pugilist, Nano Metal Muff) in parallel, with the Buxom Boost into the Precision Drive into the mixer. Such a huge, full, perfect distortion tone. I could never go back to just boost->OD->1 distortion.
And for cleans I'm running chorus/flanger/phaser simultaneously, into delay, reverb. So much dimension and depth.
With bass I'm using the mixer to run a preamp, a modeler, and either a distortion or flanger simultaneously.
It's very useful and always in use.
Chorus is always on for bass, too.
And I'd hate to go without the Sonic Stomp with bass. I need a really bright bass tone and the SS really brings that out, and really helps the definition on the .148 low A string.

deadman666

Reaction score
I'm looking to add other things but...

*Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. I'm not sure you can beat this pedal. It's kicked several more expensive pedals off the board. I've owned it at least 3x. Cheap on the used market as well. Most of the more expensive stuff isn't worth the premium over it. Been there, done that.

* Korg Pitchblack Tuner. A robust pedal that tracks very quickly. You can't see a tuner pedal from the back row, but if it aint there..you'll know it lol

*ISP Decimator. These are essential noise gates that work. Buy used for an even better deal. I've used more expensive gates. Waste of money. Much like the TS mini, I've owned the ISP Decimator at least 3x. Went back to it because I have never had any issue with one and it doesn't chop the high end off like lots of others do.

I'm looking to add other things but...

*Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. I'm not sure you can beat this pedal. It's kicked several more expensive pedals off the board. I've owned it at least 3x. Cheap on the used market as well. Most of the more expensive stuff isn't worth the premium over it. Been there, done that.

* Korg Pitchblack Tuner. A robust pedal that tracks very quickly. You can't see a tuner pedal from the back row, but if it aint there..you'll know it lol

*ISP Decimator. These are essential noise gates that work. Buy used for an even better deal. I've used more expensive gates. Waste of money. Much like the TS mini, I've owned the ISP Decimator at least 3x. Went back to it because I have never had any issue with one and it doesn't chop the high end off like lots of others do.
I never reply to anything and only read posts on this forum. But this... Had to reply. I could've wrote this one. These exact three boxes are on my board, have been for years, and will be forever.

Neptical

Reaction score
Update:

Boss SD-1 (always on) --> Wampler Tumnus ---> Boss OD-3-->ProCo FatRat.

Boss OD-3 - what a superb pedal. If you want extra glassiness under your tone, this is it. I'm pretty amazed that running in to the ( also newly purchased) Proco FatRat that it still retains glassiness while letting the FatRat do it's thing - FATTEN the tone in such a rich, harmonic way.

This duo ( in tandem with SD-1 always on) is simply fantastic with my Origin 50 heads and Fender combos. They stack great.

Maple neck HSS Strats to boot, it's easy to pass the time riffing for hours.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Organizing my board tonight for jams this weekend had me thinking what I ultimately COULDN'T do without.

Following pedals are exclusive for my board in to ANY of my amps:

1.) Boss SD-1 - the absolute best pedal to tighten any amp solo or perfectly drive any other pedal in to perfection. Desert island pedal - never leave home without one...in your pocket.

2.) Wampler Tumnus - the next best thing to an SD-1..and boy do they compliment each other when running in tandem. It's the FATTEST, SWEETEST tone in to a clean amp ( preferably a Fender clean channel).

3.) RAT II - What's to say? The RAT is dirty and absolutely as gnarly as you want it. Do you think it's flat and loose driving your amp? We all did too, but put a clean boost ( Boss SD-1) before it and tighten it up!! Hidden gem duo.

4.) ISP Decimator - when running ODs and boosts, this pedal does such a FANTASTIC job at keeping your rhythm tones tight and focused. I feel like this pedal is completely underrated. Added noises or hiss, this pedal will be your best friend. I've run my board on a OneSpot for years and don't have that problem but the Decimator adds a promising secondary backup.

5.) TC Spark Mini - THIS magical pixie dust of a unit will add the most SUGARY boost to your ODs. This pedal might even make you feel guilty the minute you turn it off. It has the notion to make you feel like you're missing something the minute your turn it off.

6.) TC Nova Repeater - all the years of delays, verbs and chorus units have come and gone but this pedal has given me EXACTLY what I've been looking for in ONE pedal. TC has always been on my radar since their rack days. This pedal has been on my board for a good 12+ years and continues to hold it's own through ALL the the "top" units produced today. It runs flawlessly still!

Welp, there's my pick. You can feel free to share yours. Don't feel shy if it's even one pedal - I've been there! We've all started off from somewhere and built to here.

Happy Sharing!
Hi everyone,

We're doing a show tomorrow night and since last posting my three pedals in a Boss BCB-30X pedal boar, I've added a few to a Boss BCB-90X. In addition to the tuner, blues driver, and delay, there's now chorus, synthesizer, and a foot switch. I play through an Origin 20C and the foot switch that comes with the amp has a very long non-detachable cord. My solution was to get the FS-7 and it works great for the Boost and Effects Loop functions; much cleaner on the board. On several songs I use this to boost solos.

The synth is for brief special effects on a few songs. Picked it up used a few weeks ago and really like it. The delay is to add some echo as the Origin does not have reverb. The chorus is used on several songs set to vibrato mode for that old-school feel. Generally, the blues driver works as a distortion, overdrive, and gain pedal and the delay goes off when that goes on.

The pedal board itself is powered so one cord to rule them all...

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Cal

Attachments

• Cal's Pedals 2.jpg
    Cal's Pedals 2.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 3

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My one essential, always on pedal is my Danelectro Fish + Chips EQ. $15 used. Shapes the tone nicely and it can give a little boost. Then the SD-1 and the Tumnus deluxe. Followed by my favorite fuzz at the moment - currently The Eisenhower Fuzz from Danelectro.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Organizing my board tonight for jams this weekend had me thinking what I ultimately COULDN'T do without.

Following pedals are exclusive for my board in to ANY of my amps:

1.) Boss SD-1 - the absolute best pedal to tighten any amp solo or perfectly drive any other pedal in to perfection. Desert island pedal - never leave home without one...in your pocket.

2.) Wampler Tumnus - the next best thing to an SD-1..and boy do they compliment each other when running in tandem. It's the FATTEST, SWEETEST tone in to a clean amp ( preferably a Fender clean channel).

3.) RAT II - What's to say? The RAT is dirty and absolutely as gnarly as you want it. Do you think it's flat and loose driving your amp? We all did too, but put a clean boost ( Boss SD-1) before it and tighten it up!! Hidden gem duo.

4.) ISP Decimator - when running ODs and boosts, this pedal does such a FANTASTIC job at keeping your rhythm tones tight and focused. I feel like this pedal is completely underrated. Added noises or hiss, this pedal will be your best friend. I've run my board on a OneSpot for years and don't have that problem but the Decimator adds a promising secondary backup.

5.) TC Spark Mini - THIS magical pixie dust of a unit will add the most SUGARY boost to your ODs. This pedal might even make you feel guilty the minute you turn it off. It has the notion to make you feel like you're missing something the minute your turn it off.

6.) TC Nova Repeater - all the years of delays, verbs and chorus units have come and gone but this pedal has given me EXACTLY what I've been looking for in ONE pedal. TC has always been on my radar since their rack days. This pedal has been on my board for a good 12+ years and continues to hold it's own through ALL the the "top" units produced today. It runs flawlessly still!

Welp, there's my pick. You can feel free to share yours. Don't feel shy if it's even one pedal - I've been there! We've all started off from somewhere and built to here.

Happy Sharing!
You have heard of Boss overdrive. What bout Boss overboard?!

Please see this photo of my newly rearranged pedalboard. The three new ones are the MO-2, FB-2, and DN-2. The MO-2 is very cool. Set very low in the mix, it adds a lovely shimmer to chords and fattens them up. Different from a chorus but a nice addition, as I am the only guitar player in the bad. The FB-2 is also very cool, but less so, as the feedback function doesn't really work properly. Still it's nice to have clean boost and it seems to enhance both the blues drive and the dyna drive. The DN-2 is very interesting. At lower volumes it tracks playing dynamics very well, so if you play soft, it's clean, and if you play hard, it's dirty. Works great in conjunction with the FB-2 to eliminate that jarring sound you get with distortion or even overdrive when playing dissonant chords and notes.

Generally clean sounds get light delay and MO-2, dirty sounds get FB-2 and or DN-2 or BD-2. The synth and chorus pedals (set to vibrato) are used on only a few songs. The FS-7 replaces the larger Marshall foot switch that comes with the Origin 20C; it has a long captured cord. This cleans up the pedalboard a bit.

So, please, fellow MFers, be honest...have I gone too high too fast?

;^)

JamminJeff

Reaction score
I cut wayyyyy back on pedals over the years, but here's my 2 cents worth of noise.

Lovepedal Provalve 2 - It's really a dual overdrive, not a distortion.

Option 5 Overdrive II - It's an overdrive. I would say "transparent" but that's a bogus term.

Catlinbread Talisman - Glorious Plate Reverb. It's not for everyone, thankfully.

Dunlop Rotovibe (earlier version) - Internal Trim Pots are your friend. Love this pedal !

Compressors come and go but they need to be quite and not "F' things up.

I have a love/hate with an MXR Script Phaser, the one with no light and no ext. power. Currently looking for a modern phase pedal that gets me into Mr. Page's wonderous phaser territory. It probably doesn't exist.

Gave up on boooooost pedals. The guitar volume is the original boost pedal.

Had some Uni-Vibe type pedals, tape echo type pedals, rotary sim pedals, etc. Got away from it but kind of getting back into some of these flavors again.

Still have a Guyatone Tube Echo (the blue and yellow one) and have changed out the tube a few times. Don't laugh, but I use it for vocals at home between a floor monitor and the mic. It's a unique tape echo type pedal. It's worth keeping.

I also have a real Clyde McCoy Wah pedal. It worked really well in some rock reggae type material. The potentiometer is now whacked and is scratchy beyond hope. Even Deoxit didn't help. It's not a rock wah, but it does do the trumpet and plunger thing fairly well.

The only oddball pedal leftover from way back when is the DOD FX22 VibroThang. It's a tone suck pedal (no surprise there) and I rarely hook it up, but it does something very unique. I actually had a full size Leslie and small rotary speaker cabinet thing so I know what the real doppler sound is. The VibroThang is NOT the real sound, but it is kind of cool sounding.

Honorable mention goes to a Swirl Vibe that I sold. Great sound, but not enough pulse for stage use. Should have kept it.

Last edited:

rando

Reaction score
Bogner Wessex Overdrive always adds more spice to overdriven amps. Hard to turn off afterward.

DOCPAGE

Reaction score
Couple of questions for all you pedal-ites….for the OP (and everyone else) why multiple ODs? Is it just for the variety of sounds available? And if so, do you use them live? It seems it would be hard to change quickly the settings of them in a live situation. Also, I’ve been told an EQ is a really invaluable thing to have to shape and contour the sound. Any one have that on their board? Thanks….

Latest posts