Egnater Rebel 30w - Any firsthand knowledge?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play with a guy who uses a 20 for a - and I hate these words - pedal platform. I doubt I've ever even heard the lead channel on it but I'd assume it's the same.
The 20 is single channel - and I kinda like what I've heard in the videos for the 20.
But I also inherently distrust amp videos because I'm convinced the tone I'm hearing is manipulated to sound better or worse - depending on what the poster is intending.
I have no opposition to using pedals, and sometimes prefer a loud clean "pedal platform".

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the Rebels- When they were released I was all about getting one, then I tried them- the variable power really kills the tone, the tube mix is almost insignificant, and the amp's lead/gainy tones are bland at best.
Was it the 20 or 30 you tried?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Yes it was the 30. I play with a guy who uses a 20 for a - and I hate these words - pedal platform. I doubt I've ever even heard the lead channel on it but I'd assume it's the same. I'm always teetering on getting a Tweaker 40, I should just go do it. Quite a different amp.
the 40 has a following thats for sure.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Rebels- When they were released I was all about getting one, then I tried them- the variable power really kills the tone, the tube mix is almost insignificant, and the amp's lead/gainy tones are bland at best.
not my experience at all. a lot of folks try to turn these in to metal amps. its just not going to happen.
they are a great pedal platform from my experience.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
The 20 is single channel - and I kinda like what I've heard in the videos for the 20.
But I also inherently distrust amp videos because I'm convinced the tone I'm hearing is manipulated to sound better or worse - depending on what the poster is intending.
I have no opposition to using pedals, and sometimes prefer a loud clean "pedal platform".
me too fitz. with todays home recording gear you can take about any amp
and turn in to whatever you want it to be.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Great memory, Rick! I put it up for sale at the higher end of the current going rate to see if I got any takers and it didn't take long for a full asking price offer. If it didn't sell I could at least say I tried :) Hated to see that one go but the intent for my new COVID hobby was to repair and resell, not repair and keep lol.
lol thank you. i was very stoked for you at the time. that tweaker 15 totally changed my thoughts on small amps
altogether. i was blown away when i first heard one. they still get me to this very day too.
i often wish i went tweaker before the rebel 20 but im very happy with the 20 just the same.
hell, go get you another AND KEEP IT THIS TIME.

jeffb

Reaction score
not my experience at all. a lot of folks try to turn these in to metal amps. its just not going to happen.
they are a great pedal platform from my experience.
I'm the last person who would want to turn them into a Metal amp, so that was certainly not the issue I had with it.

I found them very uninspiring/generic and also a "dry" tonality. Like trying to go in the direction of a Rivera, but without any Rivera mojo.

As for pedal platforms- IMO, just buy a tube powered Fender amp- Bassman, Deluxe, HotRod, Super, Twin, Princeton, whatever. No reason to go anywhere else if a pedal platform is the goal, unless one wants to be different, just to be different.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I'm the last person who would want to turn them into a Metal amp, so that was certainly not the issue I had with it.

I found them very uninspiring/generic and also a "dry" tonality. Like trying to go in the direction of a Rivera, but without any Rivera mojo.

As for pedal platforms- IMO, just buy a tube powered Fender amp- Bassman, Deluxe, HotRod, Super, Twin, Princeton, whatever. No reason to go anywhere else if a pedal platform is the goal, unless one wants to be different, just to be different.
i didnt mean pedal platform as i misspoke. they take pedals very well.
ive played everything bruce has put out in the last 15 yrs. i liked them all.
i do have my favorites. they all sound different unlike marshall and a bit of fender.
ive owned all the amps youve mentioned. the rebel20 and tweaker are priced much cheaper
and take up way less room as well. like i stated your experience and mine are very different on these.
i wouldnt trade my 20 for nothing. add a spring reverb pedal and a digitech bad monkey
or a Protien overdrive and its golden. yes the protien was barrowed. i want that damn pedal bad.
tired of big amps. shit ya gotta crank to get good tones. these new lunchbox amps and shoebox amps have a
lot going on these days. i dont play out any more. havent in several yrs now. i like shit with good tone
that is very capable at lower volumes. shit the neighbors dont have to hear. all your doing is advertising
what you have. im not in to that any more. it attracts all types.

yeah i know "i got my gun and i'll....." yeah bull shit too. where im at if they want it they will come get it.
they love to rob your home while your home here. aint just one or two of them either.
i know folks that have gotten robbed that way and i know of guys that are doing it. those doing arent my pals
either but they do talk openly at some of the bigger parties ive gone to over the last decade or so.
i know how they are doing it and what they are looking for before they "stop by".

back on topic, with home studio gear these days you can take any amp you like and make it sound like
anything you want it to or as big as you want it to and on the cheap. but im not into DAW or anything so......
just very very tired of all the big rinse and repeat big amps out there today. same shit over and over again most of them. honestly, look at marshall for example. they havent come up with but maybe 2 or 4 new tones
in two decades. new for them mind you not new to the world. pick 3 of their amps and you can get stupid close to the better amps they have made in the last 25 plus yrs. 3 amps to have them all lol.
a lot of these new little amps are doing things
a little differently. not all of them but a good chunk of them are. they sound amazing and well good enough for
playing along to backingtracks, albums, a jam session, back porch, livingroom, basement,
any home application one would need. a lot of them you can carry over to a med sized bar if ya want to.
basicly, they sound great in a small package and a lot of them sound altogether different. i like different.
the same ole same ole is so fucking boring any more.

Last edited:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Dude I can't count the gear items I've bought on the merits of a video and ended up hating.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I had a Rebel 30--some good tones in it but I moved on fairly quickly. Kinda like a Pabst Blue Ribbon--if that's all you are drinking it's pretty good but if you try something else and then switch to it not so much.
the 30 really didnt get the popularity that the rebel20, tweaker 14 and 40 got.

Latest posts