Egnater Rebel 30w - Any firsthand knowledge?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's one of these at the local GC for less than 1/2 the price of a new one.
I have no "need" for another amp, but, ya know, the addiction...

Kinda curious about the pairs of both 6V6 & EL84 power tubes and the blend back and forth knob function. I already have a 6V6 amp in the Haze and the DSL & Origin are EL34s. Would I just be duplicating stuff I already got?

I searched the threads here and only found some passing references in other topics.
If anyone else is interested, please remove the temptation.
I get carried away when I see stuff at the local GC since there's no shipping, and I can lay hands on before whipping out the gear card.

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have one when they first came out with them. I had the smaller one tho, 20 watter I think. I don't remember the reasons I didn't get along with it, I just know I didn't keep it long.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
the rebel 20 MKI or MKII are nice amps. i like the head versions.
they sound best with the matching 1x12 cab's. two of them to be exact.
i think somebody else on here has/hsad a rebel 20 also. they are very warm and
super pedal friendly.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have at least tried that 30 last year when it was at the local GC.
Think I might be more interested in the single channel 20.
There's one about an hour away on Reverb - with one matching 1x12.
Just my luck, actually drove right past there on my way to a nephew's wedding last weekend in Akron...

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Not the same amp but a few years ago I took in an Egnater Tweaker 15 to repair and resell and ended up keeping it for a while. Build quality was nice and it sounded really good with all the different tone options through the toggle switches. Ended up selling it though as I have a (bad?) habit of keeping some of the amps I buy to fix and resell. That’s how I got my Hot Rod DeVille IV and ’93 Blues DeVille :) although the Blues DeVille is going up for sale soon :(

Let us know what you decide. FWIW I’m on a tube amp repair forum that Bruce Egnater is also on and he’s a pretty smart guy.

Last edited:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
There's one of these at the local GC for less than 1/2 the price of a new one.
I have no "need" for another amp, but, ya know, the addiction...

Kinda curious about the pairs of both 6V6 & EL84 power tubes and the blend back and forth knob function. I already have a 6V6 amp in the Haze and the DSL & Origin are EL34s. Would I just be duplicating stuff I already got?

I searched the threads here and only found some passing references in other topics.
If anyone else is interested, please remove the temptation.
I get carried away when I see stuff at the local GC since there's no shipping, and I can lay hands on before whipping out the gear card.
Tried one in a store a while back - the clean sound was so nice everybody looked over to see what it was. Even the sales guy said "what is that?" Then I tries the lead channel - YEEECCCHHH!!! Couldn't beat a good sound out of it with a stick.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried one in a store a while back - the clean sound was so nice everybody looked over to see what it was. Even the sales guy said "what is that?" Then I tries the lead channel - YEEECCCHHH!!! Couldn't beat a good sound out of it with a stick.
So, that was the 30?
Kinda interests me, as I like the idea of the 2-channel reverb, but I've been really into my single channel amps lately.
Thanks for the feedback - leaning more toward the 20 again.

tymj2112

Reaction score
I have one and like it a lot. Like another poster mentioned above, the lead channel isn't great, but the clean channel is excellent. I use mine primarily as a recording amp -- the dedicated "record" output is awesome!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Not the same amp but a few years ago I took in an Egnater Tweaker 15 to repair and resell and ended up keeping it for a while. Build quality was nice and it sounded really good with all the different tone options through he toggle switches. Ended up selling it though as I have a (bad?) habit of keeping some of the amps I buy to fix and resell. That’s how I got my Hot Rod DeVille IV and ’93 Blues DeVille :) although the Blues DeVille is going up for sale soon :(

Let us know what you decide. FWIW I’m on a tube amp repair forum that Bruce Egnater is also on and he’s a pretty smart guy.
i remember this purchase bob. you posted up here about it and we talked it over. those Tweakers are stupid good man. ya gotta at least have they cab they were designed to go with from my experience.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
So, that was the 30?
Kinda interests me, as I like the idea of the 2-channel reverb, but I've been really into my single channel amps lately.
Thanks for the feedback - leaning more toward the 20 again.
Yes it was the 30. I play with a guy who uses a 20 for a - and I hate these words - pedal platform. I doubt I've ever even heard the lead channel on it but I'd assume it's the same. I'm always teetering on getting a Tweaker 40, I should just go do it. Quite a different amp.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
i remember this purchase bob. you posted up here about it and we talked it over. those Tweakers are stupid good man. ya gotta at least have they cab they were designed to go with from my experience.
Great memory, Rick! I put it up for sale at the higher end of the current going rate to see if I got any takers and it didn't take long for a full asking price offer. If it didn't sell I could at least say I tried :) Hated to see that one go but the intent for my new COVID hobby was to repair and resell, not repair and keep lol.

jeffb

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Rebels- When they were released I was all about getting one, then I tried them- the variable power really kills the tone, the tube mix is almost insignificant, and the amp's lead/gainy tones are bland at best.

Tweaker and the full size multi channel amps he did (tourmaster?) are better buys than the R series.

Latest posts