Education or Intuition ?

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
This guy puts shit on everything that walks but seems to back up my standpoint on why intuition is important.

I've seen that long ago, and more than 50 times, even discussing it in group situations. What he says is true, as we have seen already, and has nothing to do at all with your OP. You cannot simply watch his video from 12 +/- years ago, and use it to support your relatively new position. Moreover, what George said in that video, was already decades - if not century-old - news. He merely brought it out into modern light.

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
The only problem with Elon Musk is, once again as always, the centralization of power into one man's hands. There are limited to no checks and balances. One day you will understand that the future that this world is evolving into - in the name of "progressiveness" - is exactly this: the centralization of power and control over everything that involves humanity, by a small group of humans who hide behind the door of Technology.

No culture last forever . History is proof of that . The Native American culture was a good balance of all the goodness this planet has to offer.
Give me an Arabian buckskin stallion before a Tesla any day.. Give me pow pow before a chat room anyday.

10kDA

Reaction score
I think we need to qualify "education" here. I never even completed high school, and the years where I was there... well, I wasn't exactly paying attention. Is reading a book on something a form of education? Does self-education count at all? How about 'learning on the job'?
I have a learning disability. Everything I have accomplished as far as applying learned information has been on my own terms, by necessity. I do not assimilate or retain information the way most people do. I didn't realize the extents of the workarounds I typically use until about 10 years ago when I was in a band with a psychiatrist. As a friend and peer, he was able to make me see how I did things, compared to how most people do things. I had a whole career as an engineer but I never graduated, so no degree. The workarounds increased the time I needed to grasp new information and the college workload got too intense for me to keep up. I learned how to play guitar by myself by doing it - jamming with my other newbie friends. Just two examples. The interesting thing is that throughout my working life I found myself training people to perform unfamiliar tasks that were sometimes very complex and were usually precise and critical. Maybe because I had to "translate" everything for myself, I was able to get the important stuff across to others well. My bosses figured this out and almost always had me involved in training people on new manufacturing processes.

Also, I don't believe intuition is a skill. In fact, I'd almost go as far to say that - to me - intuition is your gut feeling in the absence of knowledge.
But skill can be developed in accessing intuition. The most important thing to keep in mind about intuition - accepting the basic truth that intuition does not reside in the mind - is to trust the information coming from intuition. This principle has been observed forever. Second-guessing our first thought, ignoring "hunches", and as the song goes "If I'da followed... My first mind..." are the things we do until we develop trust in it. Getting the rational mind to step back can be uncomfortable at first. But it's necessary to develop the skill of accessing intuitive information. Like anything else, this skill is developed through practice, practice, practice. Somebody way smarter than me once said "Intuition is right only 100% of the time."

10kDA

Reaction score
So I'm an engineer, I do it, and I also teach it at a university. And the most important thing that I try to teach is engineering intuition.

It's building structures for me, but any field can be similar. The intuition that we need is to look at a structure, and quickly read how it works beyond the maths, by feel and instinct. And to know when it looks right and when it's wrong. Engineers who have that are the ones to trust on your project. It does need some study to get inside the engineering concepts and understand them.

In many fields, and much of Engineering, you build up that intuition by experience in life, seeing what happens and it's consequences and you start at age zero. All I teach is to go a bit deeper to study the science behind it, enough to get a feel for that too.
Bingo - This ^^^^^
I relied on intuition more than anything else in my engineering career, as did the engieneers I most often sought out to work with. In aero engineering there were concept guys, process guys, and numbers guys. Yes, some of them were girls too. The concept and process guys could jump ahead of things as they sat in their current state and reliably see the outcomes, on their intuition reader boards LOL. The numbers guys supplied the details and confirmed what the intuitive engineers already (SHHHHHHH!) knew. We couldn't always out and out say we "knew" it though.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a learning disability. Everything I have accomplished as far as applying learned information has been on my own terms, by necessity. I do not assimilate or retain information the way most people do. I didn't realize the extents of the workarounds I typically use until about 10 years ago when I was in a band with a psychiatrist. As a friend and peer, he was able to make me see how I did things, compared to how most people do things. I had a whole career as an engineer but I never graduated, so no degree. The workarounds increased the time I needed to grasp new information and the college workload got too intense for me to keep up. I learned how to play guitar by myself by doing it - jamming with my other newbie friends. Just two examples. The interesting thing is that throughout my working life I found myself training people to perform unfamiliar tasks that were sometimes very complex and were usually precise and critical. Maybe because I had to "translate" everything for myself, I was able to get the important stuff across to others well. My bosses figured this out and almost always had me involved in training people on new manufacturing processes.

But skill can be developed in accessing intuition. The most important thing to keep in mind about intuition - accepting the basic truth that intuition does not reside in the mind - is to trust the information coming from intuition. This principle has been observed forever. Second-guessing our first thought, ignoring "hunches", and as the song goes "If I'da followed... My first mind..." are the things we do until we develop trust in it. Getting the rational mind to step back can be uncomfortable at first. But it's necessary to develop the skill of accessing intuitive information. Like anything else, this skill is developed through practice, practice, practice. Somebody way smarter than me once said "Intuition is right only 100% of the time."

You’ve never had a teacher. A teacher does what his name says it does. RESULTS !!

We demand of a mechanic to fix the car so that it runs properly or better than before, Unfortunately there are very few teachers that know their craft enough to acheive their advertised promise to parents.

Please dont come back at me with ‘I had great teachers’. You’ve already professed to have not learned one iota at school.
The other side of the coin would be that you were stoned or drunk at school. Thats your fault anyway.

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Something you wont learn at school. It would be taboo.

Last edited:

10kDA

Reaction score
You’ve never had a teacher. A teacher does what his name says it does. RESULTS !!

We demand of a mechanic to fix the car so that it runs properly or better than before, Unfortunately there are very few teachers that know their craft enough to acheive their advertised promise to parents.

Please dont come back at me with ‘I had great teachers’. You’ve already professed to have not learned one iota at school.
The other side of the coin would be that you were stoned or drunk at school. Thats your fault anyway.
Thanks for telling me all about my life as it has unfolded. Thanks for telling me what I professed when I clearly did not profess any such thing. Good job attempting to pre-emptively shut down any response. You're obviously at least one step ahead of me. I had not realized you knew it all. I'll be sure to defer to your judgement in the future. I think you should try to get everyone you interact with to do the same.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Those that say education is not necessary. Don’t know what they don’t know.

Ask Plato.

Just sayin.
Education is a wonderful thing! :thumb:

And college used to be about higher learning, now it's about teaching agendas.

And without getting too political, the agendas they are teaching are mostly total B.S., and are as far from "higher education" as earth is from pluto.

I know, I spent four years at a liberal arts college.

Tiboy

Reaction score
It’s not necessarily an either or proposition. One can have both. The trick is not to let education override one’s intuition.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for telling me all about my life as it has unfolded. Thanks for telling me what I professed when I clearly did not profess any such thing. Good job attempting to pre-emptively shut down any response. You're obviously at least one step ahead of me. I had not realized you knew it all. I'll be sure to defer to your judgement in the future. I think you should try to get everyone you interact with to do the same.

Any time you’re in Australia, let me know and I can put you through my study course.
Results guaranteed!
Education is my stock in trade.

We will even ,in the boxing ring, tackle that rebellious edge which is prevalent in you.

Say goodbye to sheepishness and a runny nose.

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s not necessarily an either or proposition. One can have both. The trick is not to let education override one’s intuition.

But that right away removes you from the debate. But I agree.
The problem is that education has become “force data down peoples throats and dont allow an opinion”. Choice is missing. Without choice there will be but a handful of Elon Musks, Bachs, Einsteins.
Its no accident that millenials prefer to watch vampire and zombie movies.

Even Rick Beato with his advanced avante guarde insight, has to wittle it down and is trying to firstly bring the zombies up at least to understanding things that they should have been taught in elementary school.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Everything one takes in is education.
Intuition is discerning what that education is worth and applying it appropriately.

Now crap education, formal establishment learning, can be part of education but one still needs to use that god given intuition to evaluate its application and worth.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything one takes in is education.
Intuition is discerning what that education is worth and applying it appropriately.

Now crap education, formal establishment learning, can be part of education but one still needs to use that god given intuition to evaluate its application and worth.

You’re confusing intuition with insight.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
no, you are confused

intuition is a deeper form of insight

‘Deeper’ is what scientists did when they gave up on the origin and meaning of life.
Dont become another statistic . Atoms lead to sub-particles lead to the bum steer. Hawking was right about the black hole. By this point he had his head up his ass engulfed by the black hole. 👽

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Rick Beato. Now there’s a music teacher.
He pracices and preaches. Thumbs up for quality YouTube content.

Only, one fault in his interactive course is he throws this word ‘doubly’ in the first few pages amongst easy info and DOESN’T EXPLAIN WHAT IT MEANS. Its probably some jive used between jazz cats. But nevertheless he should explain what it means.

Want to tell me what a ‘doubly’ is?
(Dont just copy and paste crap that Joe Blow copied and pasted). If you understand what a “doubly” is please explain.

…waiting for an explanation of a “doubly”…

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I like Rick. I think he's a valuable asset to the music world. When I'm scoping out some music, and really getting into analyzing the track(s), just call me that guy's brother.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I like Rick. I think he's a valuable asset to the music world. When I'm scoping out some music, and really getting into analyzing the track(s), just call me that guy's brother.

Thats great and I think he’s the best thing since shredded guitar.
But what is the “doubly”?