Education or Intuition ?

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the greater skill?

From what I’ve seen an intuitive business man does fine without a piece of paper that says he was correct on at least 60% of his multiple choice questions in his final exam.

PelliX

Reaction score
I think we need to qualify "education" here. I never even completed high school, and the years where I was there... well, I wasn't exactly paying attention. Is reading a book on something a form of education? Does self-education count at all? How about 'learning on the job'?

Also, I don't believe intuition is a skill. In fact, I'd almost go as far to say that - to me - intuition is your gut feeling in the absence of knowledge.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we need to qualify "education" here. I never even completed high school, and the years where I was there... well, I wasn't exactly paying attention. Is reading a book on something a form of education? Does self-education count at all? How about 'learning on the job'?

Also, I don't believe intuition is a skill. In fact, I'd almost go as far to say that - to me - intuition is your gut feeling in the absence of knowledge.

I get what you’re saying. And I agree.

I’m talking about the person that invents an amazing invention without formal engineering education.
Or who builds a business empire but dropped out of school.

Or great artists or musicians that didnt agree with h their teachers ideas and went on to be innovators in their field.

I’m not even talking about someone who is very good at study.
I’m talking about the person that reaches heights far above a very educated professor.

Last edited:

GregM

Reaction score
Is education in a school or in the real world ? I'd say education is more important. How you get it is up to you .
Intuition is great though , for those moments you decide you couldn't be arsed

RLW59

Reaction score
btw Einstein wasnt formally educated.
A common myth. His father's financial difficulties caused Albert to drop out of the German equivalent of high school so he never earned that degree.

But he was able to enter college based on his exceptionally high math performance on their entrance exams. (Despite flunking the history and language sections.) He earned a Batchelor's and then a Ph.D.

Some professors bored him and he earned their animosity by skipping classes. He was never a good "all-around" student but he always excelled in math classes.

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Experience trumps knowledge, but papers can open doors. You can't become a doctor or lawyer w/o papers, but you can get into a lot of other fields w/o that. I never believed in college, but trade schools can be great for lots of vocations.

A friend I knew in the late 80's went to college for 8 years. Child psychology/services or something. She makes $50K/yr. today and hates where she works. You can make that much as a manager at McDonald's these days with only 6 months of training. In my opinion, college is just frigging stupid unless you're going to be a doctor or lawyer, etc. And don't even think about going for a PhD as a college professor in some kind of field like Economics, unless you want to submit to the current politically extreme education system.

Otherwise, if a college education really is what you desire, just hop on over the border, and the rest of us who don't have degrees will gladly foot the bill for yours.

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
So I'm an engineer, I do it, and I also teach it at a university. And the most important thing that I try to teach is engineering intuition.

It's building structures for me, but any field can be similar. The intuition that we need is to look at a structure, and quickly read how it works beyond the maths, by feel and instinct. And to know when it looks right and when it's wrong. Engineers who have that are the ones to trust on your project. It does need some study to get inside the engineering concepts and understand them.

In many fields, and much of Engineering, you build up that intuition by experience in life, seeing what happens and it's consequences and you start at age zero. All I teach is to go a bit deeper to study the science behind it, enough to get a feel for that too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Experience trumps knowledge, but papers can open doors. You can't become a doctor or lawyer w/o papers, but you can get into a lot of other fields w/o that. I never believed in college, but trade schools can be great for lots of vocations.

A friend I knew in the late 80's went to college for 8 years. Child psychology/services or something. She makes $50K/yr. and hates where she works. You can make that much as a manager at McDonald's these days with only 6 months of training. In my opinion, college is just frigging stupid unless you're going to be a doctor or lawyer, etc. And don't even think about going for a PhD as a college professor in some kind of filed like Economics unless you want to submit to the current political sway.

Otherwise, if a college education really is what you desire, just hop on over the border, and the rest of us who don't have degrees will gladly foot the bill for yours.
No college degree? You must be dumb as bricks like Bill Gates! 😉

I got my worthless piece of paper and I know it helped me along the way. 👍

PelliX

Reaction score
I got my worthless piece of paper and I know it helped me along the way. 👍

Yeah - and I don't mean this in a bad way - but I think you said something quite important there. The *paper* helped you - while the education should amount to "knowledge, comprehension and skills" we attribute most value to the little slip of paper at the end. I often used to paraphrase Einstein and say "at school I learned, that I would learn nothing at school". I later took that back, as there is an element in- and outside the classroom of social development. I learned to deal with people I despised in effective and agreeable ways.

G the wildman

Reaction score
My view is that success is not about intuition. I see more as seeing opportunities and exploiting them. If you have an education it makes it easier.

G

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score

A friend I knew in the late 80's went to college for 8 years. Child psychology/services or something. She makes $50K/yr. and hates where she works. You can make that much as a manager at McDonald's these days with only 6 months of training. In my opinion, college is just frigging stupid unless you're going to be a doctor or lawyer, etc. And don't even think about going for a PhD as a college professor in some kind of filed like Economics unless you want to submit to the current political sway.

Anh thats the bug in the system. How can someone get experience if he needs a piece of paper to give him an in with the company.

Which brings me to another important factor: intuition in hiring the right employee.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score

I sometimes think intuition could be a skill. Is it possible to train your intuition? Maybe it is.

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anh thats the bug in the system. How can someone get experience if he needs a piece of paper to give him an in with the company.

Which brings me to another important factor: intuition in hiring the right employee.
That makes me want to ask you your definition of "intuition". How are you defining it?

Latest posts