Dsl5cr

G the wildman

Reaction score
Thanks for the response G....
Tbomb,

What I do notice is that real discernible reverb kicks in at 1 O'clock. It is there below that but obs more subtle.

In other words do you have it dialled sufficiently?

G

Last edited:

Tbomb

Reaction score
Tbomb,

What I do notice is that real discernible reverb kicks in at 1 O'clock. It is there below that but obs more subtle.

In other words do you have it dialled sufficiently?

G

G...yeah I usually have the reverb on full all the time on the DSL amps because it’s so subtle. Twice when I powered it on the signal was dry even with dial on full. Turned it off and back on reverb was there. Same thing happened on my JVM205H a couple times before. Very odd. This is my second 5CR.... first one did the same thing, but much more often so I returned it to GC. This new one has only done it twice since I had it and it’s going on 3 weeks now.

Last edited:

G the wildman

Reaction score
G...yeah I usually have the reverb in full all the time on the DSL amps because it’s so subtle. Twice when I powered it on the signal was dry even with dial in full. Turned it off and back on reverb was there. Same thing happened on my JVM205H a couple times before. Very odd. This is my second 5CR.... first one did the same thing, but much more often so I returned it to GC. This new one has only done it twice since I had it and it’s going on 3 weeks now.
My JVM goes very quite when I use it on low volume but intermittently I assumed because it wants power through it. I will update this if I get any issues with the DSL. I am in England and call Marshall Direct when I have probs. They are extremely helpful.

Tbomb

Reaction score
My JVM goes very quite when I use it on low volume but intermittently I assumed because it wants power through it. I will update this if I get any issues with the DSL. I am in England and call Marshall Direct when I have probs. They are extremely helpful.[/QUOTE

Tbomb

Reaction score
Thanks...let me know. So far aside from the two times the reverb didn’t come on right away everything else works as I would expect. Loving this little amp.

Mikeyjhn

Reaction score
Had this reply from the Marshall service dept when asking about the DSL5CR i returned:-

"Hello,
The phase splitter was replaced with mosfets instead of a preamp tube. You should have no issues running the 12BH7A in your amp
"

Didn't get on with the new 5 but am loving my new DSL40CR.

Tbomb

Reaction score
Had this reply from the Marshall service dept when asking about the DSL5CR i returned:-

"Hello,
The phase splitter was replaced with mosfets instead of a preamp tube. You should have no issues running the 12BH7A in your amp
"

Didn't get on with the new 5 but am loving my new DSL40CR.

Ahhh....so phase inverter is mosfet. Interesting....Thanks for confirming. Now the missing preamp tube makes sense.

Delete!!

Reaction score
How is everyone getting along with their DSL5CR's? Mine has been going strong for a few months now. For the most part, this is a great little amp. I replaced the stock speaker with a G10 Vintage, but I think I am going to try a G10N-40 in the near future. I do hear some harshness when using humbuckers clean, some slight breakup that is a little strident at times when hit hard - but aside from that I haven't had any issues with the amp. I am going to replace the stock Shuguang tube in the V2 slot to see if that smooths things out at all. My stock V1 and power tube are both JJ's, which I typically don't have issues with.

Bftx

Reaction score
I just wanted to say Hi! I just got the DSL 5CR as my first tube amp and love it!!

I noticed the clean channel seems to be louder than the ultra gain channel. Somewhat normal?

Also, I'm trying to get a Cat Scratch Fever tone, do I need a tube Screamer to boost the clean channel?

G the wildman

Reaction score
I just wanted to say Hi! I just got the DSL 5CR as my first tube amp and love it!!

I noticed the clean channel seems to be louder than the ultra gain channel. Somewhat normal?

Also, I'm trying to get a Cat Scratch Fever tone, do I need a tube Screamer to boost the clean channel?

Congrats Bftx,

When I use my strat. the clean is the quietest. My LP is similar on both channels.

I don’t know how to get the tone that you want. But I use a pedal board with the clean channel and my blues pedal adds a nice warm tone.

Some in here should help you.

G

FedeMarino73

Reaction score
Hi, i’m new to the forum. Just got the dsl5cr, and though I'm pretty happy with it, there are some issues i'm not sure about.
1) the clean channel won't drive even a little when cranked up, it stays as clean as ever, except for a little clipping when hitting hard on the low E. It doesn't sound to me like valve saturation.
2) on both channels there's an exaggerated hi-mid resonance that can be very upsetting when playing somewhat loud above the 12th fret. It is more noticeable with my Les Paul, and with the distorted channel, it makes my ears hurt, but it is there all the time in less amount.

I still dont know if its an aesthetic thing or some sort of technical issue.
Thanks in advance for your inputs

G the wildman

Reaction score
Hi Fede and welcome.

My clean is clean and the od is quite aggressive on low.

Can you record something for us to listen to.

I will set mine up and revert later. I have not used it in a while. But I have no issues with it.

I did play with pedals on clean a while back but found they overdrive it to much.

I will get back to later.

G

G the wildman

Reaction score
Checked my Dsl5cr

Clean is clean- no crunch at all.

The OD channel is simply high gain.

Maybe try a mild blues pedal in clean.

You could also A/B your amp against one in the shop.

My strat has n3 pups and the amp in clean can't be heard at practice with other guitars. But it is real nice with my LP.

G

FedeMarino73

Reaction score
Thanks again, at least now i know the clean channel being so clean is not an issue.
I still wonder about that annoying high mids resonance, it's so unbalanced. Maybe if I mike it off axis it won't be as much a problem, but if no one else complains about it I fear something might not be working well.
I'm not so happy about the stock pickups in my les paul. It's an 2017 epiphone standard. But I've been using it with a Pod hd500 and it never bothered me. So I'm pretty clueless.

mad5066

Reaction score
I love my dsl5cr, never had an issue with the reverb. I like how they added the things I didn't like about the older one. Running an RCA NOS 12bh7 that I took a chance off ebay and wasn't real expensive either, around what a TAD costs.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
My DSL5c starts to break up around 4 or so...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, i’m new to the forum. Just got the dsl5cr, and though I'm pretty happy with it, there are some issues i'm not sure about.
1) the clean channel won't drive even a little when cranked up, it stays as clean as ever, except for a little clipping when hitting hard on the low E. It doesn't sound to me like valve saturation.
2) on both channels there's an exaggerated hi-mid resonance that can be very upsetting when playing somewhat loud above the 12th fret. It is more noticeable with my Les Paul, and with the distorted channel, it makes my ears hurt, but it is there all the time in less amount.

I still dont know if its an aesthetic thing or some sort of technical issue.
Thanks in advance for your inputs
Welcome to the forum new MF’r

FedeMarino73

Reaction score
I bought the amp new, does it makes sense that it needs making something to the bias?
It's my first tube amp, so I'm pretty new to certain things and terms. Also, sorry for my English.

Thanks for the welcome