Dsl5cr

Mikeyjhn

Reaction score
The new DSL5CR has only 2 ECC83's and 1 ECC99 even though its listed on some sites including Marshall as having 3 preamp tubes. The phase inverter is now mosfet. Apparently a 12BH7A can be swapped for the ECC99 according to Marshall tech but can anyone confirm that before I try my TAD12BH7A in the new amp? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The 5c (and new 5cr) use a 12BH7A as a final. The ECC99 is a suitable equivalent. Mine came with a TAD 12BH7A.

While not exactly the same specs, it is listed as a suitable equivalent.

Mikeyjhn

Reaction score
Returned my DSL5CR for DSL40CR and happy i did. These were the tubes on the 5CR and ones TAD i was going to replace it with but decided to return.
IMG_1569.jpg IMG_1570.jpg IMG_1571.jpg IMG_1572.jpg

Tbomb

Reaction score
Just bought the 5cr too and the reverb was acting goofy on it. When I first powered it on there no reverb period. Powered it off and back on again presto reverb worked. Tried to power cycle it a few more times and reverb came back every time. Then I left it sit for a while and powered it back up..... no reverb until I power cycled again. Very odd. Thought the amp sounded great, but took it back to GC and had them ship me a new one. Hopefully the new one is ok.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
HOLY CRAPOLA! This makes me curious/wonder if they eliminated the phase inverter tube in the DSL20 also? Esteemed member "Ricky Lee" was recently pointing out and pondering why the DSL20 has only three preamp tubes while the DSL15 has four, yet the DSL20 has a few extra features that the DSL15 does not. If they are actually using a MOSFET, or some other solid state device as a phase inverter, in a "supposedly" all tube amplifier, that is simply not even close to Kosher! :wtf: I will dig in, research and see what the real poop is!
Confused? :scratch: :ugh: :shrug: :ugh:
Gene

Tbomb

Reaction score
Just bought the 5cr too and the reverb was acting goofy on it. When I first powered it on there no reverb period. Powered it off and back on again presto reverb worked. Tried to power cycle it a few more times and reverb came back every time. Then I left it sit for a while and powered it back up..... no reverb until I power cycled again. Very odd. Thought the amp sounded great, but took it back to GC and had them ship me a new one. Hopefully the new one is ok.

Well I got my new 5CR and there are still issues with the reverb. Again no reverb when first powered up, power cycle it and it comes on. Let it sit for a few hours, powered it back on reverb was still there. Turned it off for about and hour then powered back on no reverb. This sucks!!!! Very disappointed. Is it possible that I got two duds or is this some design flaw? You’d think the reverb working right would be pretty obvious...especially since it’s one of the “improvements” over the 5c. Reviews on Sweetwater were decent and no mention of issues with reverb. Anyone have any experience with the new 5CR?

Tbomb

Reaction score
Just an update....the replacement 5CR I got seems to have worked out the reverb bug it had. Reverb came up every time I powered the amp up since my last post. Overall I really like the tone...I think it’s more balanced between the Classic and Ultra channels than the previous 5C and it gets plenty loud, although for some reason I feel that the 5C was louder. Maybe that’s just my perception. I have a G10 Greenback that I’m gonna pop in tonight. I think that will be a definite upgrade....

Tbomb

Reaction score
Popped in the g10 Greenback and swapped the preamp tubes to a couple of Tun-Sols and this thing is just awesome for a small amp. Btw...The reverb issue has not popped up again. The new 5CR seems to have more bottom end than my previous 5C. I also had the 40C, which I liked, but not loved. I traded that in for the new 40CR, which so far love as well. All in all really loving the new DSLs.

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
Popped in the g10 Greenback and swapped the preamp tubes to a couple of Tun-Sols and this thing is just awesome for a small amp. Btw...The reverb issue has not popped up again. The new 5CR seems to have more bottom end than my previous 5C. I also had the 40C, which I liked, but not loved. I traded that in for the new 40CR, which so far love as well. All in all really loving the new DSLs.

The original DSL sounded much bigger after a speaker upgrade too The Ten 30 speaker sounded shrill and left my older DSL5c incapable of doing a palm mute thunk. even with the deep switch. It was pretty shrill till I put a 12" Veteran 30 in.

The old series was a mixed bag of weird feature decisions. I'm glad they finally corrected some poor decision making regarding volume knobs, reverb and FX loops across the board.

Tbomb

Reaction score
The original DSL sounded much bigger after a speaker upgrade too The Ten 30 speaker sounded shrill and left my older DSL5c incapable of doing a palm mute thunk. even with the deep switch. It was pretty shrill till I put a 12" Veteran 30 in.

The old series was a mixed bag of weird feature decisions. I'm glad they finally corrected some poor decision making regarding volume knobs, reverb and FX loops across the board.

Yeah I agree the Ten 30 speaker did the 5C no justice. I opted to change mine out to the G10 Greenback since I didn’t really want to mod the amp too much. FWIW the Ultra Channel on the new 5CR is much better than the previous version in my opinion. I am curious though about the “mosfet” phase inverter in the new one. Is that a fact? From what I read in this thread that is the reason why there’s one less tube than the 5C. Does’t really matter to me either way because I do love the tone; however that would make the new CR a hybrid rather than “all tube” correct?

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree the Ten 30 speaker did the 5C no justice. I opted to change mine out to the G10 Greenback since I didn’t really want to mod the amp too much. FWIW the Ultra Channel on the new 5CR is much better than the previous version in my opinion. I am curious though about the “mosfet” phase inverter in the new one. Is that a fact? From what I read in this thread that is the reason why there’s one less tube than the 5C. Does’t really matter to me either way because I do love the tone; however that would make the new CR a hybrid rather than “all tube” correct?
I still need someone to prove this 'hybrid' thing.
Need gut shots.

I find it hard to believe that Marshall would do that in a DSL, even a 5W version.
They probably just eliminated a gain stage and boosted the existing one.

Tbomb

Reaction score
I still need someone to prove this 'hybrid' thing.
Need gut shots.

I find it hard to believe that Marshall would do that in a DSL, even a 5W version.
They probably just eliminated a gain stage and boosted the existing one.

I’ll crack her open tonight and snap a few pics to post for ya.....

G the wildman

Reaction score
I’ll crack her open tonight and snap a few pics to post for ya.....
Hi Guys,

I just pulled the trigger on a new DSL5cr it is real cool. Sounds so much like my JVM205C but more portable for my practice group.

I have bought it to replace my Blues Junior and all the pedals that I take to practice. I don't think it will be loud enough for some practice situations so may keep the BJ. But hope it does the job.

All sounds in one small amp could be bliss.
In the shop I compared it to the 10watt Blackstar Anniversary range the rock voiced model is nice. But when I switched on the Marshall I was in Utopia.

Keep Rocking,

G

Tbomb

Reaction score

Trying to upload some pics, but getting an error saying files are too large. I think I shot the pics in “Live” mode on my iPhone, which is probably causing the problem.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't read the printing on the 2 transistors.
Can you tell me what they are?

Latest posts