DSL5CR low volume and low reverb?

playhardtolittleget

Reaction score
Hey all, recently looked into getting back into tube amps after using Katana for a few years and being almost entirely regulated to headphone usage.

Katana is fine with great cleans, but soooo much treble on the drive channels it's almost unusable.

Anyways, I grabbed a DSL5cr because it fit the bill of what I want - but now that it's hear, I'm really surprised by how low the volume is. In full 5W mode, the volume taper and sound is almost exactly comparable to the Katana at .5w setting, and the .5w setting is whisper quiet.

In addition, the Reverb is extremely subtle. Even at the top it's definitely not what I'm used to on an amp of any kind, and I've owned quite a few.

Is this normal? I can't imagine the 10 30 has that low of a DB rating, but maybe this is way more of a home amp that I imagined. I'm just used to 5 watts being much louder.

Bamarado

Reaction score
A DSL5 should be noticeably louder than a Katana at .5 watt. If you bought it locally it'd probably be worth taking it back to have someone take a look or replace it. I have a DSL1 that I wouldn't call whisper quiet even on the .1 watt setting. The 5 combo isnt crazy loud, and definitely usable at home, but what you describe doesn't sound quite right. You may also want to look into replacing the speaker with a greenback or creamback, but I dont think the speaker is the volume issue. As for the reverb, Marshall reverb is never anything to write home about and most people seem to go with pedals for good reverb.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I have a dsl5C, not the CR, but at full 5W is enough for band practice with a solid drummer. Definitely something is not right with your amp.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I have a dsl5C, not the CR, but at full 5W is enough for band practice with a solid drummer. Definitely something is not right with your amp.

I'm always blown away by statements like this. I've never played ANY 5 watt amps, but considering I like a 100 watt half stack pretty cranked in order to jam with a band, I just can't even see the drummer even being able to hear a 5 watt amp. I suppose it could depend on the style of music though. :)

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I'm always blown away by statements like this. I've never played ANY 5 watt amps, but considering I like a 100 watt half stack pretty cranked in order to jam with a band, I just can't even see the drummer even being able to hear a 5 watt amp. I suppose it could depend on the style of music though. :)
My DSL5C puts out some serious volume, even with a 10" speaker. Bigger amp is always better( maybe not always), but like i said, theres something not right with your amp for sure

JHMvP

Reaction score
My DSL5C puts out some serious volume, even with a 10" speaker. Bigger amp is always better( maybe not always), but like i said, theres something not right with your amp for sure

I live in a detached house and in 5 Watt my DSL5C (modded with 12" speaker) is loud enough to turn the heads of people walking through my street and direct neighbours (30 meters away) noticing that I had friends over to play until deep in the night. It is loud enough to be my everywhere to go amp, even at smaller gigs. If it's not enough we'll mike it into the PA though.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you’d be surprised how loud a 5 watt amp is Leonard, especially a 5 watt Marshall. I’ve owned four 5 watt amps, all are gone now except my Bugera G5 Infinium.

If you play a DSL5CR into a 4-12 cab,….it will be loud, and some would NOT believe it’s only 5 watts! If you consider that a 50 watt amp is only about twice as loud as a 5 watt amp, its easier to understand, imo.

From your description there’s definitely something wrong with your Dsl5 @playhardtolittleget, if you bought it new you have a 3 year warranty. In any event, you should get it to a certified Marshall tech.

JHMvP

Reaction score
Yeah, you’d be surprised how loud a 5 watt amp is Leonard, especially a 5 watt Marshall. I’ve owned four 5 watt amps, all are gone now except my Bugera G5 Infinium.

If you play a DSL5CR into a 4-12 cab,….it will be loud, and some would NOT believe it’s only 5 watts! If you consider that a 50 watt amp is only about twice as loud as a 5 watt amp, its easier to understand, imo.

From your description there’s definitely something wrong with your Dsl5 @playhardtolittleget, if you bought it new you have a 3 year warranty. In any event, you should get it to a certified Marshall tech.

Very indeed!
If I pug my DSL5C into my JTM30 (2x10" stock Eminence) or -even worse!- in my 1922 (stock 2x12") then windows and walls start to resonate, very similar to when I'd be in a full 100W 4x12" in a free space!
(Brick house, built in 1990, conform European standards....:)).

Latest posts