DSL20C or 20CR for small apartment

jb5150

Reaction score
Update:

Amp is bad, sadly for me. Electronics guy just contacted me. He said it is a factory defect that somehow made it past inspection - a fracture in the through-hole board (something along those lines).

He also said likely the seller was aware of it as it would have come up at some time during playing, and it will get worse over time. It's in the pre-amp, power side of amp is ok so he suggested maybe getting another pre-amp.

Obv I'm choked, but I can't do much about it. I did contact the seller.

I'm not an idiot with these things I did have him play the amp while I was there and it sounded fine, but the issue doesn't really manifest until the amp heats up a bit.

Expensive lesson learned.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Amp is bad, sadly for me. Electronics guy just contacted me. He said it is a factory defect that somehow made it past inspection - a fracture in the through-hole board (something along those lines).

He also said likely the seller was aware of it as it would have come up at some time during playing, and it will get worse over time. It's in the pre-amp, power side of amp is ok so he suggested maybe getting another pre-amp.

Obv I'm choked, but I can't do much about it. I did contact the seller.

I'm not an idiot with these things I did have him play the amp while I was there and it sounded fine, but the issue doesn't really manifest until the amp heats up a bit.

Expensive lesson learned.
Oh man that sucks, how long have you owned it?

Couldn’t you tell the seller that the amp is dead, (assuming this amp tech knows what he’s doing), and you’re out the full amount,… maybe he would do the right thing and return some of your money.

Get something in writing from the tech stating that the amp is done, in case it’s required. Doesn’t hurt to tell him, he might surprise you.

jb5150

Reaction score

Couldn’t you tell the seller that the amp is dead, (assuming this amp tech knows what he’s doing), and you’re out the full amount,… maybe he would do the right thing and return some of your money.

Get something in writing from the tech stating that the amp is done, in case it’s required. Doesn’t hurt to tell him, he might surprise you.
So not surprisingly he’s gone silent.

I texted, called twice, msg’d on fb (bought it on marketplace).

His response to me a few days ago after telling him that there’s something not right w the amp was:

Hey man, thats odd I never had that problem before?

Or maybe I never noticed it, I never noticed the volume jump even when I was testing it out. I even jammed on it for a while before you came and picked it up.”

My gut tells me he knew.

I can try appeal to Marshall tomorrow. It’s a 2018 model and there’s a 5 year parts warranty - that said I bought the amp second hand from a private seller so they can easily say it ain’t their problem.

Definitely heart breaking more that someone would to this (I get it, people lie). But really I’m out $700 w the replaced tubes and diagnostic and well…pretty much a footnote to others on the board of what not to do..

Can’t even file a small claim against him as I don’t have his suite number, though i know the building he lives in. Def not going to go there and give him the choice between returning my money or eating hospital food for a week lol .

Definitely stings though.

jb5150

Reaction score

Sorry missed your Q.

Had it maybe less than a week.

It was having issues when I got home after playing it a bit. Eventually the pre-amp will die completely. In fact it’s gotten worse over the last few days.

Power section is fine so sound repair guy said I can buy a separate pre amp - what’s the point.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry missed your Q.

Had it maybe less than a week.

It was having issues when I got home after playing it a bit. Eventually the pre-amp will die completely. In fact it’s gotten worse over the last few days.

Power section is fine so sound repair guy said I can buy a separate pre amp - what’s the point.
Sorry for such a bad experience from this Marshall amp man, this your first Marshall? Hopefully this won’t sour you for future Marshall purchases.

Best of luck going forward.

jb5150

Reaction score
Sorry for such a bad experience from this Marshall amp man, this your first Marshall? Hopefully this won’t sour you for future Marshall purchases.

Best of luck going forward.
Thanks for the condolences it does feel like a death of sorts as I had high hopes and really liked the sound of the amp when it works properly.

My only hope is Marshall helping me out, but I won't hold my breath.

Goober23

Reaction score
So...my peavey 5150 combo collects dust at my folks' place as I'd rather not get evicted.

Currently I am using a little Spark amp that produces ~40 watts at 116SPL. That said I'm playing it at 2-3 volume.

The 40C/CR models make me a bit nervous as they can get quite loud. I know I could bring it down to 20watts but I'm reading it doesn't sound so hot at that volume.

I was thinking of the 20C or 20CR models, but even if they proved too loud and I added a JHS Little Black Amp Box Signal Converter
if that would suffice. As one commenter adds

"The Little Black Box pedal goes through the effects loop and acts as a master volume for the amp. Now I can max the volume to get that sweet tube overdrive and use the JHS pedal to reduce the volume to bedroom level. "

Maybe I should resign to sticking with my Spark for now or my computer setup.

Thoughts?
I find the DSL series of amps to be one of the great low volume amps out there! They do very well at bedroom volumes. The other great bedroom amp INMHO The Fender Twin Reverb with a tube screamer or Rat in front

jb5150

Reaction score
Righton
Really great to hear.

Now get to playin"
Well I might be a few weeks before I’m playing again with the DSL. There’s a strong chance it won’t be on the warranty. I’m thinking to save bother just to refund it to the guy but I’ll call the guitar store and see if the warranty is still valid. It’s just one of those unfortunate things that happen naturally know I’m a bit we’re buying are used DSL now.

There are others on Facebook marketplace around 100-$150 more. I know I was all music store that has a used one for 650 (mmaybe I’m just now getting that one if it is still in stock

jb5150

Reaction score
It’s bizarre he was accusing me of scamming him. He was saying he’s heard stories of people buying amps used and swapping the preamp or tubes and returning them as broken.

Crazy but I guess it’s possible. Obviously I was the one feeling scammed when he became non responsive

Funny how that works

jb5150

Reaction score
Drama update:

He reneged just now saying the amp was fine when he sold it to me and would have been aware of the issue beforehand - in spite of him telling me the other day he only used the speaker on the amp routing it to his 5150 head, bypassing the pre amp.

Dishonest people suck.

jb5150

Reaction score
I have another dls40c on hold - the one I originally tried which if I had the power of insight or a time machine would have been the one to get - in spite of being $150 more —- which this amp already cost me in power tubes and a diagnostic.

Anyway this other one has 3 months warranty included and for $37 I can have a year.

It’s from a local chain guitar shop who have been around over 50 years.

jb5150

Reaction score
I just found out the parts warranty is good until October of this year. I have a print out of the receipt. My only concern is will Marshall give me issues if I’m not here is your owner? Is there any way around this?

SLIDEMASTER-C

Reaction score
I can also vouch for the DSL5CR. All my amps were just too loud to practice with at home with. I'm not a fan of being tethered with headpones (I practice standing up since I'm a live performer), so the amp/cab sims that I have are no fun at home since I'm too cheap to use batteries to practice with my wireless IEMs. I tried a few different amps for low volume playing and ended up keeping the DSL5CR given it's ability to produce decent rock tones at conversation dB levels.

Is it awe inspiring tones that I can also crank up loud enough to gig with? Nope, but it sure sounds and feels better than any amp-in-a-pedal I've tried, very convenient, and overall fun to play. It's actually not very loud... not a lot of punch when it's cranked up, but it's great for what it's designed for... home level playing. Again, I just don't like the feel of amp sims (they can sound fantastic), and I've never had any faith in SS amps (I had a hybrid Line6 and it was just awful), so yeah, the DSL5CR is pretty good compromise. I don't dread playing it, and I still get the feel/interaction of a tube amp that 's similar to what I play live.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
So...my peavey 5150 combo collects dust at my folks' place as I'd rather not get evicted.

Currently I am using a little Spark amp that produces ~40 watts at 116SPL. That said I'm playing it at 2-3 volume.

The 40C/CR models make me a bit nervous as they can get quite loud. I know I could bring it down to 20watts but I'm reading it doesn't sound so hot at that volume.

I was thinking of the 20C or 20CR models, but even if they proved too loud and I added a JHS Little Black Amp Box Signal Converter
if that would suffice. As one commenter adds

"The Little Black Box pedal goes through the effects loop and acts as a master volume for the amp. Now I can max the volume to get that sweet tube overdrive and use the JHS pedal to reduce the volume to bedroom level. "

Maybe I should resign to sticking with my Spark for now or my computer setup.

Thoughts?
I just played a 40cr yesterday for a few minutes on the green channel pretty low but the on 3 position switch goes to low and it was whisper quite to my good ear. If I had a good ear lol .Did you solve this dilemma yet?

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out the parts warranty is good until October of this year. I have a print out of the receipt. My only concern is will Marshall give me issues if I’m not here is your owner? Is there any way around this?
I believe the warranty goes with the amp.

jb5150

Reaction score
I think it says in the fine print it goes with whomever is on the receipt. I'm still waiting for marshall to reply to my email a week later.

Latest posts