Dsl1 (2018 Vietnam Version) Mod's

Rocketman

Reaction score
Kinda quiet in here lately.
I'm working on modding one of my flying V 's.
I've installed (1) volume control and (11) tone thickening controls.
What do ya think 1.jpg ?,..... Too much?
"Looking for the tones bruh". "Need more tones!"

Rocketman

Reaction score
Happy Easter! to everyone who celebrates Easter. Everyone else can still enjoy the chocolate bunnies and peeps.
Stay strong and stay safe, things are getting better.

guitar1580

Reaction score
Here's a mod that I just did to my DSL1 head that some of you may find useful. My Marshall 1x12 cabinet has a handle on top, and the rubber feet on the head weren't tall enough to clear it, causing the head to bottom out on the handle and sit wobbly. I didn't really want to prop it up on wood blocks which would allow all of the vibration from the cab to transfer to the head.

After searching a little online, I found these nice Peavey rubber feet from parts-express that are just the right size for $5.88 plus shipping. Worked out great, and the head sits well on the cab without hitting the handle. The original ones from the DSL1 were bigger and better than the ones on my Roland Micro Cube travel amp, so I made that swap too. Both practice amps now have bigger and better rubber footing.

https://www.parts-express.com/Peavey-Small-Rubber-Feet-Set-of-4-248-8784

davidou

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am David from France, first I did not understand all technical content regarding DSL1HR electronics / PCB Mods ... :iough:, though it was very interesting and I much like the "tone" of the discussion :)

I am not satisfied at all with the character of the distortion of this amp (Red Channel) : Whatever the volume the "power chords" sounds really bad to me :/
I like the Green Channel turned up but not possible at home, So I added a Boss OD3 which brings much character (and much drive even at Gain 0 !) but still not fine on mutes, power chords/riffs (someone mentionned it is almost like a bad distortion pedal ==> I agree)
OK this is a Dual Super "LEAD" series but I did not expect it to be just fine on lead solos/blues/arpeggios etc !!! I WANT my guns and roses rythm riffs ! ( as much as possible ...) :agreed:

I am on my way to change the 2*ECC83 + 1*ECC81 tubes (Already ordered three of them)
I did not know which to buy so I starded with :
1x Groove Tubes Premium GT-ECC83-S (certainly V1)
1x TAD JJ ECC83S/12AX7 Tube (certainly V2)
1x TAD JJ 12AU7/ECC82 Tube (V3)

Maybe this will be the same results ... maybe worst, we will see :ohno:

I starded to remove the back grid and can see the 3 Tubes .. But I suppose I have to open it up, since the access here is not right. I should do that on my own!
But what would you advise for the tubes removal/install ? It feels like we have to put our fingers on the upper glass itself, and cannot hold the tube from the bottom of it (there are some inamovible rubber circle joints at the bottom of the tube). I am not confident here as you understood.
Sorry I cannot send pictures right, will do this later if needed.
Thank you very much for any help ! Have a good week-end

My "Set" :
Guitar Epiphone Les Paul Ultra with Micros Seymour Duncan SH2/SH4
Amp DSL1HR
Half-Open Cab 10" with Celestion Creamback G10 16Ohms
Boss OD3 Overdrive/Disto

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am David from France, first I did not understand all technical content regarding DSL1HR electronics / PCB Mods ... :iough:, though it was very interesting and I much like the "tone" of the discussion :)

I am not satisfied at all with the character of the distortion of this amp (Red Channel) : Whatever the volume the "power chords" sounds really bad to me :/
I like the Green Channel turned up but not possible at home, So I added a Boss OD3 which brings much character (and much drive even at Gain 0 !) but still not fine on mutes, power chords/riffs (someone mentionned it is almost like a bad distortion pedal ==> I agree)
OK this is a Dual Super "LEAD" series but I did not expect it to be just fine on lead solos/blues/arpeggios etc !!! I WANT my guns and roses rythm riffs ! ( as much as possible ...) :agreed:

I am on my way to change the 2*ECC83 + 1*ECC81 tubes (Already ordered three of them)
I did not know which to buy so I starded with :
1x Groove Tubes Premium GT-ECC83-S (certainly V1)
1x TAD JJ ECC83S/12AX7 Tube (certainly V2)
1x TAD JJ 12AU7/ECC82 Tube (V3)

Maybe this will be the same results ... maybe worst, we will see :ohno:

I starded to remove the back grid and can see the 3 Tubes .. But I suppose I have to open it up, since the access here is not right. I should do that on my own!
But what would you advise for the tubes removal/install ? It feels like we have to put our fingers on the upper glass itself, and cannot hold the tube from the bottom of it (there are some inamovible rubber circle joints at the bottom of the tube). I am not confident here as you understood.
Sorry I cannot send pictures right, will do this later if needed.
Thank you very much for any help ! Have a good week-end

My "Set" :
Guitar Epiphone Les Paul Ultra with Micros Seymour Duncan SH2/SH4
Amp DSL1HR
Half-Open Cab 10" with Celestion Creamback G10 16Ohms
Boss OD3 Overdrive/Disto
:welcome: to the forum.

Yes, just grab ahold of the top part of the tube and pull up while giving it a little wiggle side to side.
They will come out.
The rubber ring is for vibration, it is connected to the chassis and will stay in place.

If you want to lower the gain on the red channel try an ECC823 in V1.
It's like having an ECC82 on red and ECC83 on green.
I have one in my DSL20H.
Good luck and post a reply if you have any problems with your tube swapping.

Beartone

Reaction score
What if the DSL1 fits the old Lead12 cab? And 12” speakers can fit in Lead 12. Not suggesting anyone should mod anything but Lead 12 does look a lot like DSL1.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if the DSL1 fits the old Lead12 cab? And 12” speakers can fit in Lead 12. Not suggesting anyone should mod anything but Lead 12 does look a lot like DSL1.
DSL1 heads are a good size match for the Lead12, Lead 15 and MG15 micro stack speaker cabs.
I used to have both heads on my Lead15MS.
And that's a no to will a 12" speaker fit in those 10" cabs.
But there are some great upgrades available to the 10" stock speakers.
I just put a pair of VTjrs in my Lead 15 cabs and love the tone.

edit: :welcome: to the forum.

Beartone

Reaction score
I can fit a 12” in my Lead12. It barely fits. lol Have you ever tried? I have 1984 year, but I figured they were all the same dimensions.

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can fit a 12” in my Lead12. Barely but it fits. lol Have you ever tried? I have 1984 year but I figured they were all the sane dimensions.
I looked at it, and would have needed to cut out some of the frame along with the baffle hole.
If you got one to fit, then go for it.
Not sure about the tone of a 12" in that little box, but that's up to you.
I also have a bunch of bigger amps, so if I want loud, I got it.

Beartone

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds better than 8” , and I don’t have a 16 ohm 10” laying around.

The 10” 8 ohm from Lead 12 is now paired in series with another 8 ohm 12” in an extension cab. I do like that combo a lot.

But it’s nice having 12” for stand alone. If I do buy a 16 ohm 10” speaker it will be a nice low watt one.

I’m a new member and I haven’t searched the forums. But I’m happy that people are aware of the lead 12 combo as a chassis candidate. I’m guessing the designers of the dsl1 were somewhat inspired by it. They look very similar to
me.

Beartone

Reaction score
I apologize, I can see why my original post was misleading. I was going to post pics with rhetorical questions but the jpegs didn’t work. I guess they were to large.

Anyhow it’s delightful.

davidou

Reaction score
Hello,
I come arround again, I have received my new tubes
I can easily find the ECC82 Poweramp section one (this is the one behind the 2 oher ones)
but I am not sure regarding ECC83 V1/V2 positions
I post a picture, so please would someone tell me which tube is the V1, and which is the V2 here ?
I suppose the V1 is the Red one, V2 the Grey one, but not sure :D
I would like to put for a first try the Groove Tube Premium at V1 position

Attachments

• DSL1HR_Tubes_Position.jpg
    DSL1HR_Tubes_Position.jpg
    995.4 KB · Views: 44

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I come arround again, I have received my new tubes
I can easily find the ECC82 Poweramp section one (this is the one behind the 2 oher ones)
but I am not sure regarding ECC83 V1/V2 positions
I post a picture, so please would someone tell me which tube is the V1, and which is the V2 here ?
I suppose the V1 is the Red one, V2 the Grey one, but not sure :D
I would like to put for a first try the Groove Tube Premium at V1 position
You are correct. V1 is closest to the input jack, V2 is the middle one.

davidou

Reaction score
Well the substitution of the tube is done
Not so easy to push the pin into the socket ... but finally succedeed
And I am more than satisfied with this new configuration !
Much more dynamics and sensitiveness, more balanced, more definition
also the volume seems easier to manage it is not so loud as it used to be
Maybe I will try other configuration since I have now some choice with tubes at home :)
Thank you fitz ! Cheers

Latest posts