DSL and pedals

NelsonP

Reaction score
I've got a DSL20CR and a growing collection of pedals. Interested to know what pedals other folks are using, and how.

This is my board. DD8, Hof2 and the Source Audio EQ are in the loop. Everything else is infront of the amp.

EP Booster is on most of the time. TS Mini is used as a solo boost on the red channel, and also to add a bit of hair to the green channel when needed. Big Muff used with the green channel.

Very pleased with it, but always on the lookout for the next big thing.

What are you using?

QOGesHd.jpeg

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothin' fancy on my DSL20HR board.
Demon-Fx Tube Screamer II & MRX Custom Modified Badass OD up front.
Just use them for some different flavors on the classic cannel.
I love the DSL ultra - that's why I have the amp.
MXR 6 band EQ & Analog Chorus in the loop.
I'm fine with the amp reverb and I like a touch of chorus.
EQ in the loop always, on every amp with a loop.
dsl20pedals.jpg

PelliX

Reaction score
I've got a DSL20CR and a growing collection of pedals. Interested to know what pedals other folks are using, and how.

This is my board. DD8, Hof2 and the Source Audio EQ are in the loop. Everything else is infront of the amp.

EP Booster is on most of the time. TS Mini is used as a solo boost on the red channel, and also to add a bit of hair to the green channel when needed. Big Muff used with the green channel.

What are you using?

QOGesHd.jpeg

Only pedal I use on the DSL is a tubescreamer for the green channel. What the heck is that Xbox pedal? :confused:

NelsonP

Reaction score
The Xbox pedal is a Green Ringer, built from a kit. I polished the enclosure to within an inch of its life and put the xbox logo on it, for a touch of 'wtf is that?'

It's a nasty, spitting monster when paired with a fuzz or big muff....

TheToneDig

Reaction score
Good stuff. I would personally add a Boss SD-1 to tighten up the ultra gain channel but these minimal boars and solid pedals known for doing their jobs is A+!!!!

Ken Ops

Reaction score
I think phaser in front of dirt is modern-day conventional wisdom, along with wah (if I recall correctly) and maybe vibe.

Chorus and flanger though, probably in loop. Tremolo I don’t know either way, but I would throw in the loop if I still had a trem pedal.

gregr

Reaction score
MXR Flanger and Phase 90 in front of the amp and before any OD or distortion.

Boss BF-2, PH-2, Small Stone and choruses in the loop.

Echoplex style delay up front. All other delays in the loop.

Last edited:

assquatch20

Reaction score
I have a 40CR that I use with a fuzz, Klon type OD and clean boost in the front. In the loop I have a delay and a tremolo. That's how I gig but I'm sure I'll do it differently someday. Looking at a different OD right now. The reverb on the amp leaves something to be desired (I keep it cranked) but the best reverb is a delay sometimes.

assquatch20

Reaction score
@assquatch20 Which fuzz do you use? On which channel?

It's a custom fuzz/delay thing that a friend of a friend made. It's kind of a fuzz/distortion. I don't use the delay side. It uses an LM386 if I remember right. It gets fuzzier as I cascade everything but dynamics kinda go out the window unless you roll off the volume. I think I'd like to replace it with something like the Skreddy Lunar Module fuzz.

I use the classic crunch setting usually (gain around 9 o'clock and channel volume at about 3 o'clock) and sometimes the ultra OD1 with the same settings but the master is higher.

It could maybe still use a boost but I assigned the clean channel on the amp to the same volume as the ultras to balance it out. It's much quieter than the classic crunch.

If I had a MIDI loop switcher I'd be using the clean channel with OD and distortion and fuzz more so, but I like the classic crunch for a lot of tones live and can't easily switch back and forth. I could maybe try playing with the ultra side to find a balance but I'd rather have 3-4 gain stages available from the amp as opposed to 2. I'd need to upgrade my board and my power supply to get there though. I have a Terra 42 board in storage but that's overkill for the stages I'm usually playing.

Here's a kinda low quality phone clip of me playing through a little 5w with the same pedal setup: fuzz thing, Soul Food and a Mooer Pure Boost. There's delay and reverb as well. Amp gain is set low like I tend to do. You can maybe hear how the LM386 circuit just kinda makes it lo-fi as opposed to full on fuzz.

I know that's a lot so I hope some of it is helpful or at least interesting to ya.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

What are you using?

QOGesHd.jpeg
Hey Nelson,

Wow! That's a lot of pedals. Here's a photo of mine. As you can see, very simple. The Delay unit is for use at home only with my Origin 20, which does not have reverb. For rehearsals and gigs, I use a DSL40CR, which has reverb, so it's just the three others.

Cal

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Sorry, having trouble uploading the file. Stay tuned (pun intended)...