DSL 5CR suitable for 1 bedroom flat

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Yes, the little black box works great for non-master volume amps that have a loop, they don’t do much for a master volume amps imo.

I tried one with my SC20, it didn’t do much of anything really. I only used it for a couple of days, it was just like adding another master volume really.

The LBAB is good for scaling the volume of dual channel amps that have no Master master volume.
It saves having to fine tune both channels to get them even again after a volume change.
So, for an SC20, yes: useless.
But for the MkIII DSLs below the 40CR (or all MkII DSLs) they are handy.
Also, good last in a chain of pedals in an FX loop.

Mine serves a dual purpose of scaling the dual channels of a non-(Master) master volume amp and scaling the VS65R volume to match my (M)MV 40CR when I run them both in a stereo rig.

It goes at the end of my stereo pedal board on the out to the VS65R only.

20210404_161744-1000.jpg

Last edited:

Robsi

Reaction score
First of all I wish to thank everyone who gave some input. I am now at 4 Volume and 9 Gain and it quieter as before and this at 5W. Just amazing!
JHS recommends not to put other effects in the loop and a Gigboard is a Modeller, but it works well. I saw the prices of real pedals and quickly forget about it. Not to know any real pedal and buying one blind is nonsens. And specially for a beginner. And I am definitely low on budget at the moment. Thanks again!
But the sound of this DSL just hit me!!!

gs175

Reaction score
First of all I wish to thank everyone who gave some input. I am now at 4 Volume and 9 Gain and it quieter as before and this at 5W. Just amazing!
JHS recommends not to put other effects in the loop and a Gigboard is a Modeller, but it works well. I saw the prices of real pedals and quickly forget about it. Not to know any real pedal and buying one blind is nonsens. And specially for a beginner. And I am definitely low on budget at the moment. Thanks again!
But the sound of this DSL just hit me!!!
@Robsi I'm really happy to hear you've found a solution that works well for you.

gs175

Reaction score
I hope it helps. It seems the excessive compression is somehow connected to the Bass control. Because when I turned the bass to 0, most of the unwanted compression disappeared.

The eq in the loop can restore whatever, if any, low frequencies lost.

I want to say my experience with this is with a Dsl1, I don’t know if this would help with other Dsl models, I don’t own any other DSL’s
Thanks very much @scozz I got a graphic eq yesterday and have been playing around with it. I'd heard people suggesting putting one in the effects loop and always meant to try it out some day. The possibilities for sculpting tone are stunning. I can definitely get less compression already and I'm just starting to experiment. This is going to be a lot of fun!

PelliX

Reaction score
Thanks very much @scozz I got a graphic eq yesterday and have been playing around with it. I'd heard people suggesting putting one in the effects loop and always meant to try it out some day. The possibilities for sculpting tone are stunning. I can definitely get less compression already and I'm just starting to experiment. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Equally, if you want to reduce compression in those amps, an ECC81 will go a long way.

Jason Funk

Reaction score
Your post made me rethink about my DSL5 and AC4TV that had been collecting dust because they were too loud for the high rise I live in even on low power settings. I had tried the Little Black Amp Box but gave up because of what some others had said on another forum. I'm not a tech expert but what they said made sense. They said that because it is in the FX loop all it's doing is quieting the pre amp power, which according to them, means the power tubes, even if they're cranked, aren't being pushed because the signal has been killed before reaching it. In other words, it's like just turning down the volume (they say it's a glorified volume pedal). They recommended an attenuator.

So after your post and researching again, that's what I bought and it seems to work very well. You know it's cooking the power tubes because it's taking everything from the amp, then going into the attenuator, and then back into the speaker. I bought a Bugera PS1 just to try it out since it's cheap and it works awesome. As soon as you plug it in you can tell the volume has already been taken down a little bit, so you don't even really have to attenuate much at that point to get bedroom friendly sounds if you're on the low wattage amp settings. Just plugged in with no adjustments or just a little attenuation the tone is still great, I do find though, that if you attenuate it down to super quite it loses quite a bit of tone, but if you max the treble, bass almost to 0, you can use the mids to dial in a usable tone (although still not as great a minor attenuation). I highly recommend it and I think you'd find it works wonders for what you're looking for.

Some forums have said the Bugera style aren't that good because they're not a reactive load, but some youtube videos compared them and showed they're alright and there's not a big difference. I do plan on buying a Weber Mass attenuator (reactive) in the future because of all of it's options (specifically treble and bass EQ/boost), since this attenuator has done so well for me. It's great knowing I can finally start using my tube amps and pedals now that have been collecting dust for so long. I hope you find, or have already found, a method that works for you!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post made me rethink about my DSL5 and AC4TV that had been collecting dust because they were too loud for the high rise I live in even on low power settings. I had tried the Little Black Amp Box but gave up because of what some others had said on another forum. I'm not a tech expert but what they said made sense. They said that because it is in the FX loop all it's doing is quieting the pre amp power, which according to them, means the power tubes, even if they're cranked, aren't being pushed because the signal has been killed before reaching it. In other words, it's like just turning down the volume (they say it's a glorified volume pedal). They recommended an attenuator.

So after your post and researching again, that's what I bought and it seems to work very well. You know it's cooking the power tubes because it's taking everything from the amp, then going into the attenuator, and then back into the speaker. I bought a Bugera PS1 just to try it out since it's cheap and it works awesome. As soon as you plug it in you can tell the volume has already been taken down a little bit, so you don't even really have to attenuate much at that point to get bedroom friendly sounds if you're on the low wattage amp settings. Just plugged in with no adjustments or just a little attenuation the tone is still great, I do find though, that if you attenuate it down to super quite it loses quite a bit of tone, but if you max the treble, bass almost to 0, you can use the mids to dial in a usable tone (although still not as great a minor attenuation). I highly recommend it and I think you'd find it works wonders for what you're looking for.

Some forums have said the Bugera style aren't that good because they're not a reactive load, but some youtube videos compared them and showed they're alright and there's not a big difference. I do plan on buying a Weber Mass attenuator (reactive) in the future because of all of it's options (specifically treble and bass EQ/boost), since this attenuator has done so well for me. It's great knowing I can finally start using my tube amps and pedals now that have been collecting dust for so long. I hope you find, or have already found, a method that works for you!
If you’re happy with a Bugera Ps1, you would love a U.S. made Weber Minimass 50. It sounds great and has some nice options that the made in China Bugera does not have.

A two position treble boost function to increase whatever treble that is lost in attenuation, it’s a +3db or +6db treble boost.

Also the Weber attenuators are hand made in the U.S., one by one as the orders come in.

It can handle all ohm values too, 4, 8, and 16 ohm, with a flick of a switch. All that for under $200.

I use mine with my Studio 800,…

Last edited:

Robsi

Reaction score
Your post made me rethink about my DSL5 and AC4TV that had been collecting dust because they were too loud for the high rise I live in even on low power settings. I had tried the Little Black Amp Box but gave up because of what some others had said on another forum.

Oppinions are helpfull as expirience is, but at the end you decide and buy whatever you came up with. It is your wallet that is charged. For me speaking the LBAB is what I needed. Price, purpose and situation. I thought that loudness in my situation will be a huge problem. And I am a beginner and do not intend to play with anyone else. I spend most of the day within my 4 walls and the relation to my neighbours matters to me more as every gear. I wanted a tube amp and have the right one now. I do not intend to go on with buying gear. The guitar I bought blind and even there I was lucky. But what I wrote is personal and for my character and situation only. I can not be anyone else but me.

Latest posts