DSL 5CR suitable for 1 bedroom flat

Del

Reaction score
I have ordered one of those. One question is still open. Can I play after midnight without disturbing my neighbours to the full advantage of the amp? Of course 0.5W setting. One sleeping room above and one to the right. Left und underneath are of no concern because they are living rooms. Daytime is less of a problem. Thanks!
Yes, you can!!! I have one of those amps and all you need is a volume pedal in the effects loop. You can buy them (best option), look up Audistorm Volume Pedal on Ebay, or make your own (bit fiddly), search YouTube for How to make a volume pedal for guitar in 3 minutes.

Robsi

Reaction score
Yes, you can!!! I have one of those amps and all you need is a volume pedal in the effects loop. You can buy them (best option), look up Audistorm Volume Pedal on Ebay, or make your own (bit fiddly), search YouTube for How to make a volume pedal for guitar in 3 minutes.
Thank you! I did it your way by solving another problem first. I had to get my Gigboard running by the 4 Cable Method. I put a Volume „Pedal“ in the FX-Loop.

gs175

Reaction score
I have ordered one of those. One question is still open. Can I play after midnight without disturbing my neighbors to the full advantage of the amp? Of course 0.5W setting. One sleeping room above and one to the right. Left und underneath are of no concern because they are living rooms. Daytime is less of a problem. Thanks!
I have a DSL 1CR that I bought for a similar purpose. It's remarkable how loud these very low wattage amps can be. I'm happy that Marshall has put out the DSL1, and I wish other manufacturers would do the same. I'd happily buy a tube amp with even lower wattage. When I was a kid I had a Fender Champ that would annoy my neighbors at 5 watts. I always play the DSL 1 on the 0.1 watt setting and enjoy it quite a bit, but not at midnight. That late, I use an amp sim pedal (tech21 sansamp para driver or a Joyo clone of an earlier tech21 pedal). I run the pedal into a mixer and then send the signal to studio monitors. I'll also run the line out of a Fender amp through the mixer into the monitors. With either of these solutions I can play very quietly. Sure, it doesn't have the feel of playing through an amp, more like listening to a CD of someone playing through an amp when it's at such low volumes, but my neighbors can't hear it. I agree with others that the line out of the DSL doesn't sound that good. All of this stuff is a matter of taste of course, and a matter of how sound travels where you live.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a DSL 1CR that I bought for a similar purpose. It's remarkable how loud these very low wattage amps can be. I'm happy that Marshall has put out the DSL1, and I wish other manufacturers would do the same. I'd happily buy a tube amp with even lower wattage. When I was a kid I had a Fender Champ that would annoy my neighbors at 5 watts. I always play the DSL 1 on the 0.1 watt setting and enjoy it quite a bit, but not at midnight. That late, I use an amp sim pedal (tech21 sansamp para driver or a Joyo clone of an earlier tech21 pedal). I run the pedal into a mixer and then send the signal to studio monitors. I'll also run the line out of a Fender amp through the mixer into the monitors. With either of these solutions I can play very quietly. Sure, it doesn't have the feel of playing through an amp, more like listening to a CD of someone playing through an amp when it's at such low volumes, but my neighbors can't hear it. I agree with others that the line out of the DSL doesn't sound that good. All of this stuff is a matter of taste of course, and a matter of how sound travels where you live.
Great post, welcome to the forum @gs175.

There are lots of ways to play quietly these days. Back in the late 60s when I was learning to play, not so much. Actually, not at all!

I also own a Dsl1 head, (playing thru a 1-12 Greenback cab), they are great for playing at low volumes. I never use the .1 watt setting because I don’t need to play at very low volumes. I don’t have to worry about being too loud, no real volume issues at my house.

The only issue I have with DSL’s is the compression, way too much compression to my ears.

I found a way to lesson it, and make the amp much more musical imo. I use a eq pedal in the loop and I turn the bass knob, (on the amp), all the way down on the amp to 0.

With the bass on 0, there is a lot less compression, and with an eq pedal in the loop, I can make this little amp sound in the ballpark of a 800. Albeit a large ballpark! :D

Both channels sound much better to me, I dime the green channel and push if with an Sd1 and it sounds great!

I go back and forth between the Dsl1h and my SC20h, (thru a 1-12 Creamback cab).

Great times!

Enjoy you new amp buddy!

Last edited:

gs175

Reaction score
@scozz: Thanks very much for the tip about reducing the amount of compression! That's the one thing I've still been trying to figure out how to deal with. I've been mainly using the green channel, with a pedal if I need distortion. I've played around with replacing tubes to try to tame the red channel, but the compression has still been very high... I've always wanted an EQ pedal anyway, so I will definitely get one and try this!

Robsi

Reaction score
I am all set now. Spending half a week to get it set was important. Sound very good. I am all happy now. The thing with the Gigboard I did not even know until lately. The Amp is very different to the Champion but the sound is more my taste. I do not regret anything. The Volume effect in th Gigboard I deleted.
And I watched a video today where somebody made a test with low volumes and high volumes were compared with various amps and he came to the conclusion to cranked it up is not necessary - in contrary.

Robsi

Reaction score
It is a little off topic. This photo could from the outside point of view be a Marshall between to pictures. Personally it expresses almost all my thoughts in the past.
6440B24B-3F9A-4E65-926E-5DFB4601F108.jpeg

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Others have said it too. Master Volume. That is why the far louder 40CR can be played quieter than a 5CR.
I know it's too late now as you've bought the amp but a volume control in the FX loop is something you could try.
I have the JHS Little Black Amp Box (LBAB) in the loop of a VS65R (which has no Master).
Better than a foot pedal because you can accurately see where the volume knob is at, and you can mark on your sweet spot.
But it is NOT an attenuator and can only be used in the FX loop!

PelliX

Reaction score
I have the JHS Little Black Amp Box (LBAB) in the loop of a VS65R (which has no Master).
Better than a foot pedal because you can accurately see where the volume knob is at, and you can mark on your sweet spot.

Hmmm.... although you're obviously correct about the LBAB not being an attenuator in any other setup, I'm wondering what the pot is rated for. Effectively 0.5W could be in range of some pots. This might be the one amp that could work in such a way. The LBAB obviously has a resistance that's completely in the wrong ballpark for the DSL5, but with the right pot in there on the low power setting - that could actually work. The DSL1 for example has a built in dummy load which is just a resistor so that you can unplug the speaker for silent operation.

@Robsi I dig the MS on the wall, haha! But, I'm seeing a Strat-type guitar, a Marshall valve amp.... and Haeschen Klein on the stand? ... care to elaborate? :D

Wildeman

Reaction score
A good 5 watt tube/valve amp is equivalent to approx. a decent 30 watt solid state amp. This is not a technical physics explanation, it's just a comparison from experience. Even something like a 1 watt DSL1 will be perceive as loud, because it will penetrate the floors, walls and ceiling and irritate anyone within the surrounding structure.

I sometimes think we get tangled up in "loudness" and forget how penetrating the mid range signal of a guitar amp actually is. Even at low volume, the primary frequencies will penetrate certain construction materials.

If you are going to play when other people are sleeping, you probably need a good pair of headphones.

Here's a good test: While in your intended practice space at "quiet time" can you hear other people in other areas of the building ? Even low muffled voices ? Can you hear doors closing ? Foot steps above ? TV's ? Radios, stereos, etc. ? Cars coming and going ?

If you can here anything outside of your immediate practice space, EVERYONE will hear even a small amp, especially when they are trying to sleep.

Modeling amps and devices have their place and usually have a headphone only output. (Verify this feature first). Having a cool Marshall amp is, well, you know, very cool, but having the Bobby show up at midnight banging on your door is not so cool.

EDIT: Looks like you already made it happen so CONGRATS. I will leave my post in case someone else has a similar situation.
As I keep reading this thread, one amp keeps popping into my head, it ain't no tube amp either, I also think a modeler may be the ticket, a Blackstar ID Core 10. Or Roland MicroCube even.
I have the Blackstar now and it's killer.

Robsi

Reaction score
Others have said it too. Master Volume. That is why the far louder 40CR can be played quieter than a 5CR.
I know it's too late now as you've bought the amp but a volume control in the FX loop is something you could try.
I give it a try and just ordered one. If I am lucky I will get it tomorrow morning. I hope if I place it between the FX-Send of Gigboard to the Amp Input it will do the job. Thanks!
EDIT: I have to explain the situation. I am using the 4CM to connect the Gigboard to the amp. Maybe the other way around FX-Return of the of the amp to the Gigboard OUT.

Last edited:

JamminJeff

Reaction score
As I keep reading this thread, one amp keeps popping into my head, it ain't no tube amp either, I also think a modeler may be the ticket, a Blackstar ID Core 10. Or Roland MicroCube even.
I have the Blackstar now and it's killer.
There's nothing like a good tube/valve amp, especially cranked up, but not everyone can do that. I'm also not a tube amp snob and have been in and out of the amp modeling trend from the beginning. I never cared for the Line6 sound and still don't, but that's just me.

I'm still messing around with a Roland VGA-5 COSM amp and still find sounds in it that I can't find elsewhere. It's dated technology at this point, but what I finally learned is this: If a guitar player knows what a certain amp sounds likes (plexi, twin, whatever) then they know how to get close with an amp modeler or cabinet/speaker modeler.

I still think we have to move air out of cabinets to get closer to the original model of whatever we are attempting to replicate. YMMV

The new Roland and Boss series and a few others have come a long way and are affordable and give the player enough options to choke a horse. They're not stupid heavy and don't require tube replacement. Solid State is not Tube, but Tube is not Solid State.

These modeling amps can also be played at very low bedroom volumes and still sound decent for practicing at home.

When I first started, practice amps sounded like a dead cardboard box. To further drive the point home, my first effect "pedal" wasn't even a pedal. It was this:

Robsi

Reaction score
@Robsi I dig the MS on the wall, haha! But, I'm seeing a Strat-type guitar, a Marshall valve amp.... and Haeschen Klein on the stand? ... care to elaborate? :D
Beginner and a electric guitar course as you now. Goal 1
Hänschen klein possibly as a duet at the Kindergarten in the settlement first gig. Goal 2.
Maybe even with a choir 😂.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@scozz: Thanks very much for the tip about reducing the amount of compression! That's the one thing I've still been trying to figure out how to deal with. I've been mainly using the green channel, with a pedal if I need distortion. I've played around with replacing tubes to try to tame the red channel, but the compression has still been very high... I've always wanted an EQ pedal anyway, so I will definitely get one and try this!
I hope it helps. It seems the excessive compression is somehow connected to the Bass control. Because when I turned the bass to 0, most of the unwanted compression disappeared.

The eq in the loop can restore whatever, if any, low frequencies lost.

I want to say my experience with this is with a Dsl1, I don’t know if this would help with other Dsl models, I don’t own any other DSL’s

Robsi

Reaction score

After watching this video I disconnected the Gigboard and wait until tomorrow. It looks promising. To be honest, the Gigboard was one of many miss buys. But as everybody I am not sh…ing money. Having a volume expression in the Gigboard destroyed the whole sound. Anyhow I think this will solve my problem 👍. Good relations to the neighbours means a lot to me.

Robsi

Reaction score
For many people I might be kind of weird and ambivalent. There is a saying: Never judge a person, without having walked in his shoes.
Everything I do even by making a mistakes has a reason. The course I started last December and did not get far and this by doing something else. I expressed my life musically but with the iPad. I know the C-Position on the piano and never intended to know more. Everything since 2018 had to do with music. Why? By a feeling. It is all about feeling, memories, believes, past and future. And I wanted to learn an instrument without knowing any note. With the guitar TABs make it possible. To finish the course is a goal but not more and not less. I am far too old to set higher goals. Even this if I fail I won‘t be disappointed.
If anyone is interested in my life it can be explored musically on a YT playlist
It was done on with an iPad not knowing anything of it. That means beginners stuff. Every picture, the timeline anything had a reason. But I am not after likes and subscribers as most on YT, it was to share it to my few contacts. After It was done I continued with the guitar.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, the little black box works great for non-master volume amps that have a loop, they don’t do much for a master volume amps imo.

I tried one with my SC20, it didn’t do much of anything really. I only used it for a couple of days, it was just like adding another master volume really.

Right, it’s not an attenuator, it doesn’t work like an attenuator.

Latest posts