DSL 5CR suitable for 1 bedroom flat

Robsi

Reaction score
The MS-2 was made for this just *this* use case...!
I thought the MS-2 was another joke like the 2203, but, I just ordered one. For that price tag I thought it was just a cable but it is a serious amp. Unbelievable!
I expect anything in music concerning prices but this was a surprise. Thank you!

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the MS-2 was another joke like the 2203, but, I just ordered one. For that price tag I thought it was just a cable but it is a serious amp. Unbelievable!
I expect anything in music concerning prices but this was a surprise. Thank you!
Lay an SM-57 down in front of it and pump that sucker through a PA system.

Who says you a need a 50-10 watt map to gig with? :D :yesway:

Last edited:

Robsi

Reaction score
Thick curtains will/can do a lot. Perhaps have a chat with your neighbors and arrange for them to let you know when the 'level' is reached where it becomes troublesome for them. Generally, if you're upfront with these things, people are willing to assist as it's in their own interest. Also, a few generic pointers;

* Get the amp off the floor. It will sound better (generally with those DSL combos) and if you angle
Done the first and I am always upfront.
Sidenote, if you tilt amps back like that, consider perhaps putting a little fan in/on the back of it, else it will develop a heat pocket underneath the chassis at the front. Unpleasant for the fingers and rough on the components and board inside. Applies to the Fender or any combo valve amp, really. :yesway:
Done. The thing with the fan I tried, but not enough space for the ones I have. And I have only one power socket left and this I need to eat some Raclette with my sister.

It was a long day yesterday but by dawn I need to be ready and practice again.
Now I have two questions. Is this any good as I have it at the moment concerning noise?
I stored the box in the cellar, which is full of empty boxes, and I came across something that I used to lift the amp. Now the amp is more to the left that means easier access to the guitar, and its not tilted. And has space for the footrest. The floor is not a problem for the ones underneath. Left also not. Windows will be for the one above and the women to the right is mostly drunk. Therefore hears much less. I will attach a picture.
And another question. How is it switching a tube amp on and off? Is it better to leave it always on or switching it on and off a few times a day? Tubes are no SS.
I am speaking now of daytime only. Thanks!

8555AC11-322A-4D75-8B48-689FB56242C9.jpeg

Edit: I just inserted a daytime picture.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Done the first and I am always upfront.

Done. The thing with the fan I tried, but not enough space for the ones I have. And I have only one power socket left and this I need to eat some Raclette with my sister.

It was a long day yesterday but by dawn I need to be ready and practice again.
Now I have two questions. Is this any good as I have it at the moment concerning noise?
I stored the box in the cellar, which is full of empty boxes, and I came across something that I used to lift the amp. Now the amp is more to the left that means easier access to the guitar, and its not tilted. And has space for the footrest. The floor is not a problem for the ones underneath. Left also not. Windows will be for the one above and the women to the right is mostly drunk. Therefore hears much less. I will attach a picture.
And another question. How is it switching a tube amp on and off? Is it better to leave it always on or switching it on and off a few times a day? Tubes are no SS.
I am speaking now of daytime only. Thanks!

View attachment 116916
I may not be entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish there, but you're definitely making good use of limited space. Getting the map off the floor is going to give you less bass response while limiting disturbance of your neighbor(s), but at "midnight" volumes you're not going to hear much low end anyway. The DSL5CR's master sweet spot is 2:00-3:00 (try it if/when you are able to, and you will see that the volume travel creeps up slowly, and doesn't really kick in until the master's up there). Nice little setup ya got there, Robsi. :yesway:

As far as switching your map on/off, there's no hard/ fast rule, even with maps that have a standby switch, but here's how I do it:

Fire it up and give it a minute or three to warm up.
Then play through it.
If you're going to use it again within the next 90 mins, leave it on.
If you're not going to play it again within 60-90 mins, turn it off.

The DSL5CR is a nice map! :yesway:

Robsi

Reaction score
I may not be entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish there, but you're definitely making good use of limited space. Getting the map off the floor is going to give you less bass response while limiting disturbance of your neighbor(s), but at "midnight" volumes you're not going to hear much low end anyway. The DSL5CR's master sweet spot is 2:00-3:00 (try it if/when you are able to, and you will see that the volume travel creeps up slowly, and doesn't really kick in until the master's up there). Nice little setup ya got there, Robsi. :yesway:

As far as switching your map on/off, there's no hard/ fast rule, even with maps that have a standby switch, but here's how I do it:

Fire it up and give it a minute or three to warm up.
Then play through it.
If you're going to use it again within the next 90 mins, leave it on.
If you're not going to play it again within 60-90 mins, turn it off.

The DSL5CR is a nice map! :yesway:
I just tested it at 2 and I got 70dB. To have a comparison I vacuum cleaned the floor and had 80dB. So I definitely have to forget everything concerning the night. It is not much of an issue though.

PelliX

Reaction score

Uhhh... I don't know whether I'd call the MS-2 a serious amp, hehe.

Attachments

• 1665558311377.png
    1665558311377.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 5

PelliX

Reaction score
You know, if you had a bigger cardboard box, you could cut into it at an angle and get some tilt from there if you see what I mean. Cardboard is generally a pretty good insulation/isolation material this stuff. Another trick I've often seen is cutting tennis balls in half and placing speakers (or combos, eh!) on them.

Jason Funk

Reaction score
Sorry, but no. I live in a high rise condo made of cement, no wood. I bought one thinking the same as you. If you want to cook the tubes to get that nice creamy sound on .5w it is far too loud, I don’t care if it’s midnight or daytime, some will not be happy with you lol. Also you said below is a living room, trust me, that amp on the .5w sound maxed is going to travel farther than one room. I feel your pain, I just want to crank a mini tube amp with all my pedals and get those awesome tones, but unfortunately not gonna happen til we decide to buy a house out in the suburbs :(. Since then I’ve gone digital with Fractal, Helix, AmpliTube etc and to be honest I’m quite satisfied getting those saturated tube amp tones at bedroom levels with those! Best of luck on finding a way to get those tones!

AR999

Reaction score
Thank you. This is exactly what I fear. I do not like headphones but have other possibilities to play at night. I am many days awake at night, like now. The Champion 40 comes alive at Volume 2 but in a loudness that I did not expect. After changing the speaker it is even worse. I know that speakers behave like this, and tubes also and many guitarists like it loud, but arguing with neighbours I do not want.
You need a master volume amp for apartment use, 5 watts is a lot louder than you think.

ITburst

Reaction score
I have a DSL20HR into the matching 2x12 slant cab. I am perfectly happy with the sound at a level low enough that it won’t wake my wife. And that goes for the Ultra Gain channel and the green channel.
I have cranked it a few times and must say I am not disappointed at very low levels. I know people will say it has to be dimmed to sound good, but I don’t agree.
The DSL20HR is a great sounding amp!

MachX

Reaction score
I originally bought the DSL5CR and I exchanged it for the DSL40CR. Unlike the 5, the 40 has a master volume and so I find that I am able to play the 40 better, AT LOWER VOLUME, than the 5. The only reason to get the 5 is lower cost and weight - not bedroom volume considerations.

ITburst

Reaction score
I originally bought the DSL5CR and I exchanged it for the DSL40CR. Unlike the 5, the 40 has a master volume and so I find that I am able to play the 40 better, AT LOWER VOLUME, than the 5. The only reason to get the 5 is lower cost and weight - not bedroom volume considerations.
The same thing with the DSL20 I suppose. Master volume and a choice of high or low power. Sweet amps for sure.

peterplexi

Reaction score
I have ordered one of those. One question is still open. Can I play after midnight without disturbing my neighbours to the full advantage of the amp? Of course 0.5W setting. One sleeping room above and one to the right. Left und underneath are of no concern because they are living rooms. Daytime is less of a problem. Thanks!
You can play that loud with any modern 100 watt head... just turn the master volume down. I don't know who started this idiotic notion that you need a low wattage amp to play at low volume. I have had many modern 100 watt amps that can easily be played at bedroom volume. That is what a master volume is for and don't let anyone else tell you any different.

Ddavid

Reaction score
Of course should have. If I wasn’t born there would not be any problem. Blame my parents but they should not have died.
I get along with the person above very well and I will play, but we won‘t argue he just will ask not to. Underneath are two little children and they are not always quite. The problem is not the sound going through the floor, It‘s massive concrete but the way the windows are build It works like the body of a Violine.
Loud enough? All I want is that I can play at all. With the Fender it is possible but I need to be careful. But I never play say at level 5 where it really sounds well. There it‘s really loud,
All I intend to find is the sweet spot with my neighbours and me. The one to the left is truck driver at daytime and taxi driver in the evenings. Anyhow it will work out some way and I will be satisfied. I surely won‘t return the amp.
If the emulated line output works as normal line output I connect it to the interface and from there to headphones. But I do not know what a emulated line output is.

I have a 1w JVM and it is most definitely not 3am friendly with people sleeping in an adjacent room. The answer is NO, no you can’t play your 5w Marshall after midnight at a satisfying level and not disturb your sleeping neighbors, even drunken ones.

Headphones. (Try open air headphones)

Last edited:

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score
Th
I have ordered one of those. One question is still open. Can I play after midnight without disturbing my neighbours to the full advantage of the amp? Of course 0.5W setting. One sleeping room above and one to the right. Left und underneath are of no concern because they are living rooms. Daytime is less of a problem. T
They will definitely hear you.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I have ordered one of those. One question is still open. Can I play after midnight without disturbing my neighbours to the full advantage of the amp? Of course 0.5W setting. One sleeping room above and one to the right. Left und underneath are of no concern because they are living rooms. Daytime is less of a problem. Thanks!
Yes

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you're liking the amp, @Robsi

I think you made a great choice. I had one and was able to get great 2AM tones out of it. It's a very versatile amp and I can't see getting anything more suitable for the money that would sound better.