DSL 5CR suitable for 1 bedroom flat

Robsi

Reaction score
I have ordered one of those. One question is still open. Can I play after midnight without disturbing my neighbours to the full advantage of the amp? Of course 0.5W setting. One sleeping room above and one to the right. Left und underneath are of no concern because they are living rooms. Daytime is less of a problem. Thanks!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't it have a headphone output?

Robsi

Reaction score
It will be delivered on Tuesday, but according to the specs no.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Reaction score
I have ordered one of those. One question is still open. Can I play after midnight without disturbing my neighbours to the full advantage of the amp? Of course 0.5W setting. One sleeping room above and one to the right. Left und underneath are of no concern because they are living rooms. Daytime is less of a problem. Thanks!
:welcome: to the forum.
Even low watt tube amps can be LOUD.
The DSL gets a lot of its gain tone from the pre-amp, so you can play it quietly.
Enough volume to get the speaker moving is always better, but there are always trade offs with any amp at low volume.

Robsi

Reaction score
Thank you. This is exactly what I fear. I do not like headphones but have other possibilities to play at night. I am many days awake at night, like now. The Champion 40 comes alive at Volume 2 but in a loudness that I did not expect. After changing the speaker it is even worse. I know that speakers behave like this, and tubes also and many guitarists like it loud, but arguing with neighbours I do not want.

Robsi

Reaction score
I am not going to buy any car anymore and do not have one anymore and I sometimes drove 10 MPH. Ferraris are no fun at all. What they are is expensive to buy and keep them running at all. Tuneup 10000$ and this not only once a year when you drive it at all.
I thought 0.5W will meet my demands. If not, not. It is as easy as that. There is plenty of time left to drive it at higher spee, since my currency is time.

Robsi

Reaction score
Thank you! This is an answer. I know an Italian with a Ferrari but it is in the Garage only covered by some blanket . I am eager to get the amp delivered. No matter if it is too loud.

GregM

Reaction score
Yes , in ultra gain mode no problems . In clean channel . Umm not really . Not with a good sound anyhow . Ultra gain can sound pretty good at low levels . All subjective of course . I use mine super loud to get good sounds on clean channel . Ultra gain can sound good at lower volume to my ears , doesn't sound that great super loud to my ears

Crikey

Reaction score
No. You need a 2203
You prolly get about 10 minutes of playing til the cops arrive. Lol

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait,…. there is another persons apartment, (Flat), bedroom, right above the room you’ll be playing the amp in?

Is it a child’s bedroom above you?

How’s the insulation? Lol.

Welcome to the forum.

Robsi

Reaction score
You overestimate our police. Switzerland is slow even if they are famous for watches. But speeding I would not recommend. So a Ferrari here is senseless, apart from Germany in whole Europe and I think even the rest of the world.
What is a 2203?

Robsi

Reaction score
Wait,…. there is another persons apartment, (Flat), bedroom, right above the room you’ll be playing the amp in?

Is it a child’s bedroom above you?

How’s the insulation? Lol.

Welcome to the forum.
Yes and he works shift. At the moment he is recovering from a knee surgery.
Insulation? The settlement was build in the 60s. The woman to the right has a good sleep because she drinks and not water. Looking like 70 but younger than me.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and he works shift. At the moment he is recovering from a knee surgery.
Insulation? The settlement was build in the 60s. The woman to the right has a good sleep because she drinks and not water. Looking like 70 but younger than me.
Do you plan on playing when he’s working?

I’m just wondering if you’re asking, if you can play your Dsl5 loud enough, to sound good, and not wake a person sleeping right above you?

I’m thinking maybe you should’ve bought an amp with a headphone out.

Robsi

Reaction score
Of course should have. If I wasn’t born there would not be any problem. Blame my parents but they should not have died.
I get along with the person above very well and I will play, but we won‘t argue he just will ask not to. Underneath are two little children and they are not always quite. The problem is not the sound going through the floor, It‘s massive concrete but the way the windows are build It works like the body of a Violine.
Loud enough? All I want is that I can play at all. With the Fender it is possible but I need to be careful. But I never play say at level 5 where it really sounds well. There it‘s really loud,
All I intend to find is the sweet spot with my neighbours and me. The one to the left is truck driver at daytime and taxi driver in the evenings. Anyhow it will work out some way and I will be satisfied. I surely won‘t return the amp.
If the emulated line output works as normal line output I connect it to the interface and from there to headphones. But I do not know what a emulated line output is.

Robsi

Reaction score
I did some research and the amp offers everything. Headphones if desired and it is even possible to use the effects of the Gigboard. Much more than expected. But the sound of the headphones seems to be bad.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I did some research on the emulated output. I think it does not cut off the internal speaker, but good to connect for recording if I not use a mic.

Correct, it operates in parallel - BUT, you could plug in a dummy load instead of the speaker. In all honesty though; the E-out is the worst bit about the DSL series. I've never encountered one that I considered "usable" - and I'm really not wearing my audiophile toneseeker hat when I say that. There are various ways to proceed with this like a loadbox with a line or headphone output, etc. That's quite a topic unto itself. Not because the concept is complicated, but taste/tone/etc.

I did some more research and I can connect a headphone to the emulated line output. But it seems to sound bad. In a YT video it really did.

Yes, but you probably won't like the result much. The DSL's are fine little amps but the E-out... yikes.

@scozz nailed it when he asked about the soundproofing, construction and so on. What I've done is get a looooong signal cable (or snag a wireless set from someone for an afternoon) and walk around, see what level and frequencies get through where at which volumes, etc.

Blame my parents but they should not have died.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I get along with the person above very well and I will play, but we won‘t argue he just will ask not to. Underneath are two little children and they are not always quite. The problem is not the sound going through the floor, It‘s massive concrete but the way the windows are build It works like the body of a Violine.

Thick curtains will/can do a lot. Perhaps have a chat with your neighbors and arrange for them to let you know when the 'level' is reached where it becomes troublesome for them. Generally, if you're upfront with these things, people are willing to assist as it's in their own interest. Also, a few generic pointers;

* Get the amp off the floor. It will sound better (generally with those DSL combos) and if you angle it towards yourself, you won't be "wasting" volume. They're quite directional, often.
* Don't place it so that it's close to a wall on the back. Being open back, this will aggrevate the situation without much benefit.
* Use a compressor if your "style/genre" permits it, this will give you a more constant level to deal with
* While floors and walls are often covered with stuff, ceilings are often 'naked' and can - depending on construction - carry the sound.

Good luck and :welcome: ! :yesway:

Robsi

Reaction score
Thank you for the wishes and the comprehensive answer. Bad that I have edited my post but good that you quoted. Somehow it all looks very promising. Every question will be answered in a couple of days. Have a nice Sunday and thanks to all.