Do you stand when you practice v gaming chair or stool?

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to stand always, now I have neck and shoulder issues and can't take the weight anymore so I only sit these days. I just use a padded metal folding chair, it's easy to fold up and put out of the way when not in use.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Stand for electric, sit for acoustic.

Sit while learning songs, usually from YouTube or some recorded track so I can Stop/Rewind/FF/etc.

NOTE: Since I totally suck, this methodology is most likely the absolute wrong way to approach it since it has unquestionably produced highly undesirable results.

:coffee:

-BOOGIEMAN-

Reaction score
Back in my gigging days I always played standing. These days I play a majority of the time sitting and then stand to play for a bit. When I play while sitting, I usually play in the classical position.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Stand or sit, makes no difference to me. I do use a strap either way. I use a wide leather strap custom made for me, and every guitar I have has its own. All make the instrument sit at the same height against me. Which is fairly high. I do NOT understand how some people can play with the guitar body down around their knees. That's such a traumatic position for the left hand, I'm surprised that every player who uses it doesn't have chronic carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis too.

-BOOGIEMAN-

Reaction score
Stand or sit, makes no difference to me. I do use a strap either way. I use a wide leather strap custom made for me, and every guitar I have has its own. All make the instrument sit at the same height against me. Which is fairly high. I do NOT understand how some people can play with the guitar body down around their knees. That's such a traumatic position for the left hand, I'm surprised that every player who uses it doesn't have chronic carpal tunnel syndrome and tendonitis too.
But it looks so damn cool when performing live. When I play standing, I try to keep them as low as I comfortably can and not lose any accuracy.

lespaul339

Reaction score
Back in my gigging days, I'd practice while standing up. Now that I'm no longer gigging, I sit when I play. I have an ergonomic desk chair in my studio and that's what I use. I'm not playing out anymore so no need for me to practice while standing up and hurt my back and shoulders.

Calebz

Reaction score
Playing electric or bass, I always stand. For acoustic stuff, I sit holding the instrument classical style. I use an office chair with arm rests that fold up, as well as an adjustable foot rest. Works pretty well. I will probably get some sort of comfortable stool when I move into my studio space.

ido1957

Reaction score
When I'm practicing in my "studio" with monitors/drum machine/guitar/vocals I stand, to get good at my parts for when I hit the stage with the band. It's not the same as stage but it's as close as I can get.

When I'm in the livingroom practicing just the guitar, I sit on the couch (with several cushions against my back because I need to sit up straight so it's similar to playing live.

Sometimes I'll sit in an armless wooden chair in my studio if my wife is watching TV upstairs and I just want to practice guitar parts.

G the wildman

Reaction score
For me, a gaming chair makes great for the PC desk, guitar playing, and gaming. I highly recommend a gaming chair for these reasons, but I extremely recommend getting a chair that has arms that can fold up vertically and out of the way. Stationary arms, and arms that merely 'telescope' up & down in position, SUCK for playing guitar, as they are always in the way. Once again, get a gaming chair (or otherwise) that has arms that can be raised upward and back out of your way, as if the chair had no arms at all. Gaming chairs can also allow you to recline in a way that is very comfortable for long hours of play. Some even have a foot rest.

I currently have this. This type of arm arrangement sucks, and I'm about to ditch it for something better:
View attachment 118714

I also dislike these, because you can't even adjust the arms:
View attachment 118715

This is what I'd recommend because you can swing the arms up and out of the way for guitar playing:
View attachment 118716
I got one of these Vin it is ok.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I sit on armless chairs most of the time these days, but I do keep a mirror close by to make sure my hair looks cool every few songs.

I have a mirror in my "band" room and used to practice in front of it. People used to give me guff as if I just liked to see how cool I looked when I played. I actually used it to keep an eye on my technique from a different angle. I think it helped.