Dimarzio Super Distortion

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Strong and clear sounding, thats how I describe the Super Distortion! A vast improvement over the Fender humbucker I had in my Strat! I was a little concerned the 250K pots in my Strat would be too dark but not at all, the humbucker is bright enough to overcome that. Sounds good in all my amps, this pickup is hot enough I can get a good crunch without an OD pedal whereas before I needed the OD pedal to get crunch, now I can use my OD pedal to get distortion. I can dial in good sounding clean tones as well with no problem. The only disappointment has nothing to do with the Super Distortion, the matching cream Dimarzio single coil covers I ordered are too tall to fit on Fender pickups so I'm stuck with them, I'm gonna buy a bunch of aftermarket covers off Amazon to find a good fit and return what I dont use - free returns buddy thats what I like about Amazon! So currently I am very pleased with the purchase of my Super Distortion, its definitely an upgrade for my Strat! :yesway:

Last edited:

matttornado

Reaction score
I have 36th A. in the bridge position, in my Les Paul at the moment. I had a late 70s Super D in it but been thinking about putting it back in. This thread got me thinking about it again. I remember the Super D sounding really good in the Les Paul, My Super Strat, not so much.

The 36th A is Ok but is a little to thin and smooth sounding to me if that makes any sense? It produces plenty of distortion though.

solarburn

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a SD bridge and 36th anniversary neck in my #1. Great combo for cover band gigging imo.
Fuck I've had a 36th anni for the neck position I wanted to pair with my SD bridge. Been sitting buried in my nightstand for 2 years. I procrastinate much? :agreed:

Glad to hear they work good together. Thought they would!

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Done! It looks and sounds cool! I have cream knobs and switch tip but I think I like the white better, makes the pickups stand out on their own. :yesway:

CBzs6VI.jpg

Last edited:

solarburn

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you think about this one? DiMarzio SD, JB Archer pedal(gain 9am)into Mono Price amp. Amp gain at 11am.

Pedal was on the whole time me raising guitar volume as I went. Phone mic adjusted overall volume the more guitar knob I gave er'.

Riffraff

Reaction score
Did the pickup swap this morning. Super D at the bridge and 36 Anniversary at the neck.

J0VHk50.jpg

I love them already and I haven't even gotten a chance to try them through a proper amp yet. I just tried them with my rack preamps through my DAW to rough set the pickup heights. A tube amp test drive through a real speaker cabinet needs to happen pronto!

** UPDATE **

First test done. Holy Sh!+ what a difference!
I broke out a greenback loaded 112 cab (WGS Invader 50) and just used the Tweaker with it's MV cranked and the gain control at about 4. I ran through it's USA, AC & BRIT tones and it was great with all. I knew the Super D would slay but I was even more impressed with the 36 Anniversary neck tone. What a great sounding pickup!! I only used my neck pickup for woman lead tones with the BB Pro's, It sucked for anything else. it's fantastic for everything now. I kept the '50s wiring scheme I did to this guitar 17 years ago or so when I installed a RS Guitar Works controls kit in it. Man that P/U kills and still rolls down so sweetly.

After 20 years the honeymoon is in full swing with this Les Paul again. ❤️❤️:lol:

I need to break out my 212 so I can fire up my YBA-1.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Did the pickup swap this morning. Super D at the bridge and 36 Anniversary at the neck.

J0VHk50.jpg

I love them already and I haven't even gotten a chance to try them through a proper amp yet. I just tried them with my rack preamps through my DAW to rough set the pickup heights. A tube amp test drive through a real speaker cabinet needs to happen pronto!

** UPDATE **

First test done. Holy Sh!+ what a difference!
I broke out a greenback loaded 112 cab (WGS Invader 50) and just used the Tweaker with it's MV cranked and the gain control at about 4. I ran through it's USA, AC & BRIT tones and it was great with all. I knew the Super D would slay but I was even more impressed with the 36 Anniversary neck tone. What a great sounding pickup!! I only used my neck pickup for woman lead tones with the BB Pro's, It sucked for anything else. it's fantastic for everything now. I kept the '50s wiring scheme I did to this guitar 17 years ago or so when I installed a RS Guitar Works controls kit in it. Man that P/U kills and still rolls down so sweetly.

After 20 years the honeymoon is in full swing with this Les Paul again. ❤️❤️:lol:

I need to break out my 212 so I can fire up my YBA-1.
Ive been playing the Super Distortion in my Strat bridge for a month now its been my daily player I've been really liking it, does clean, crunch and lead very nicely. :yesway:

Latest posts