Digital processor effects question

slade

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I bought this digitech processor which got me to thinking. I’m a old school pedal person and this is my first digital processor besides my old xp100 and some rack units. And with them I just picked a tone and went with it. I think that it would safe to say that most people place the wah and overdrive in front of the amp and time based effects in the loop. Now this processor and a few others that I looked at have a selectable effects chain that all goes in front of the amp. Why wouldn’t they put an effects loop into the processor? Why don’t they split the distortion/ overdrive from the other effects?

Last edited:

freefrog

Reaction score
They do in other MFX's than yours. Many processors feature an FX loop and can be used in "4CM" (4 cables method, that I use for 25 years approximatively). :)

NOTE - That said, time based effect can be used in front of a distorted amp: an analog delay with its echo set @ low volume does the job. That's what I use with various amps deprived of FX loops.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
It probably comes down to cost. Added hardware and you need a way to tell the effects unit where and when to route the signal in and out.

I have a Helix LT and routing the signal chain couldn’t be easier due to it's programmable interface. I used to have a Korg AX1000G which had no 4CM capabilities. I also had a Line 6 M13 that did have 4CM, however, it was very limited in it's functionality. The M13 had 4 vertical banks with 3 effects in each bank. To achieve 4CM you had to specify which banks you wanted going to the front of the amp and which one's went to the effects loop. The problem is you had to start with the left bank and work your way to the right. So if you wanted two banks in the loop, it had to be banks 1 & 2 - you couldn't choose. Also, all three effects in the bank you chose went to the loop - you couldn't split effects within the bank.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I have had the idea to make a 4CM setup with two Zoom B1 Four units for my bass amp.
The B1X Four (out front) I have already is waiting for a B1 Four to put in the loop of my Trace Elliot.
If I ever find another 2nd hand (I am cheap!) I'll post with my thoughts.
I even have a 2nd hand Pedal Train board waiting for them.

slade

Reaction score
For what I have it sounds pretty good. I guess that if I were to go with some sort of modeling equipment, I would have to research it more to get one splits the distortion and effects. I bought it because of the aux and headphone jacks.

Latest posts