Compressors with eq’s

slade

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I have another question. I’m redoing my pedal board yet again and I was thinking about getting a compressor to go in my signal chain. I do have a 10 band eq in the loop and I’m putting in a clean boost after the overdrive that goes into the front of the amp. If I bought one, I would put it after the wah. I was wondering what your thoughts are one them? Would it be a waste of money? I mostly play metal stuff but from time to time I get on the ‘80’s rock/metal kick.

Last edited:

dptone5

Reaction score
I just added a Wampler Ego compressor to my board and I love it. Adds sustain and smoothness when you need it. I have it as the first pedal after the tuner in front of the OD's and it works great. I researched a bunch and there are a few really good ones out there. The Keeley and Wampler get the best reviews. Here was my thread on the topic:

slade

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the Keeley if I do decide to put one on my board.

playloud

Reaction score
What are you trying to achieve with the compressor?

An overdriven amp is already a compressor in its own right, so for heavier tones, I wouldn't really bother. (After a certain point, you lose nuance/attack in your playing if you compress too much.)

For clean playing, compression can be useful for adding "punch" (think syncopated funk riffs). The thing is, most of the compression you hear on records would have been the result of outboard gear (e.g. 1176s) applied to the recorded track, as opposed to pedals in front of amps.

I thought this thread was going to be about how to order your compression/EQ pedals. This is an interesting subject on its own.

slade

Reaction score
I was thinking that adding a compressor in would level out my guitar signals because some have passive and some have active pickups and take out some of the shrill that I get as the volume goes up. And maybe I just have to adjust my eq settings for the different guitars and volumes. I don’t know, I’m tinkering around again.

TJB

Reaction score
I love the Strymon Compadre. It gives me the ability to run it dry and wet. I have a really full sound now with great sustain!