Ceriatone Plexi51 AllAccess build

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Great work, :h5: though I'm not sure I like that ground lug mounted on a stand off that appears to have crushed/deformed the washer underneath it! Given the steel chassis, I think I would use a "BIG HONKIN'" soldering iron/gun to solder the ground lugs to the chassis! Permanent attachment that will NEVER become intermittent of loose! Of course, you would need to scuff/burnish the chassis surface for good flow and adhesion! I have never seen a ground to chassis connection fail on a Fender that was done in this manner! For added peace of mind, you could even use the bolt also. A good spot weld, if you have the equipment and steel lugs, could work as well.
Just My :2c:,
Gene

Last edited:

Rotorcraft230

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great work, :h5: though I'm not sure I like that ground lug mounted on a stand off that appears to have crushed/deformed the washer underneath it! Given the steel chassis, I think I would use a "BIG HONKIN'" soldering iron/gun to solder the ground lugs to the chassis! Permanent attachment that will NEVER become intermittent of loose! Of course, you would need to scuff/burnish the chassis surface for good flow and adhesion! I have never seen a ground to chassis connection fail on a Fender that was done in this manner! For added peace of mind, you could even use the bolt also. A good spot weld, if you have the equipment and steel lugs, could work as well.
Just My :2c:,
Gene
Thanks for looking out for me. The standoff is for the master volume wires that will run from the dual pot to the power tubes. I use ground lugs because they have two holes to be able to tie it to.

Here is an example from my HIWATT clone. A6D8C92F-9A93-4504-B521-FC6E6ABCDFD2.jpg

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
That is beautiful Rotorcraft!
Im curious about your ties...
I see your using a pliable tie of some sort, as opposed to the more common nylon zip ties....
Is there a reason for that, or is it simply a preference ?

Rotorcraft230

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is beautiful Rotorcraft!
Im curious about your ties...
I see your using a pliable tie of some sort, as opposed to the more common nylon zip ties....
Is there a reason for that, or is it simply a preference ?
It’s mil-spec lacing chord. I think it has a much cleaner look and fits more to the image of a “hand wired amp” than zip ties do. It’s wax impregnated so when you tie it it won’t come loose, its widely used in aviation. It’s about 50 bucks a roll but I’ll bet you can get 1000 ties out of it

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
It’s mil-spec lacing chord. I think it has a much cleaner look and fits more to the image of a “hand wired amp” than zip ties do. It’s wax impregnated so when you tie it it won’t come loose, its widely used in aviation. It’s about 50 bucks a roll but I’ll bet you can get 1000 ties out of it

I've seen and asked about that stuff before. Maybe it ws on one of your other builds or someone else. I notice you using dark and lighter colored versons of it. Are they the same, except for the color or does the color difference denote a different spec in your day job?
VERY Cool!
Gene

Rotorcraft230

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s all the same spec, just different colors and sizes. The black was .040” and the natural on this build is .085” wide. I like the wider chord.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super nice work. I know how much time and effort goes into being meticulous like that.

I try to be that perfect when I start one, but I must get a little impatient when I start seeing the end.

My builds look good but not micrometer straight like yours. that's awesome.

Rotorcraft230

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super nice work. I know how much time and effort goes into being meticulous like that.

I try to be that perfect when I start one, but I must get a little impatient when I start seeing the end.

My builds look good but not micrometer straight like yours. that's awesome.
Thanks for the compliment, I love building these things. Just have to finish the control pot wiring, it’s about 60% done already, then preamp tubes and PI tube. Should finish it up this week.

Rotorcraft230

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might get some hum laying those preamp wires right on top of your heater wires like that.
I tried to get them to cross at 90 degrees. They still may be a little close, we’ll see. Gonna finish tonight.
Anyway, you won’t hear the hum while you play, hum is tone right?

Latest posts