Ceriatone, Getting close.....

ampeq

Reaction score
After seeing Scooter's post about order changes, I'm very tempted to ask Nik about bumping my AH Deluxe from 50w to 100w even though it's gotta be close. You see I thought they would be different sized heads in width, but they both are 26" across. Which is kinda why I went with the 50w, plus for a little easier attenuation.

What's your thoughts ampeq? I know you didn't say there's much difference between your 50w and 100w Chupa. But I'm tempted....

edit: not gonna rock the boat, I'm staying with the 50 watt
The 100w gives you more headroom and louder clean tones. I also like a buffered loop. If you play out and loud a lot I would say go for the 100w amp, you can always pull 2 power tubes to go down to a 50w. Order what You think you may need down the road. These amps are keepers and you will love it, they can go down to a whisper very easily. They also have big power and are very versatile, they do not need pedals to drive them. Nik is great to work with and will change whatever you need. Get what you want the first time. I look at it like this, you have two road bikes one a 600 and one a 1000. The 600 will go plenty fast enough to get killed on and is lighter and slightly less money. However, there is NOTHING like a big block and you just keep pouring the power on. You simply can’t go wrong!

Mjh36

Reaction score
The 100w gives you more headroom and louder clean tones. I also like a buffered loop. If you play out and loud a lot I would say go for the 100w amp, you can always pull 2 power tubes to go down to a 50w.
Ok so I emailed him and switched it to a 100w. Thank you and good call on the pulling 2 tubes, totally forgot about that trick.

The main reason I went 50w was the head width dimension. I ordered a 2061CX cabinet from stagecraft and they are 26" wide for a 50w. Marshall 100w are 30" wide I believe, and I was stuck on thinking that Ceriatone is the same so I never looked. But no, their 100w is also 26" wide, thus won't be too wide on top of the cab.

I may email him and ask about the whole "Friedman polish" high-end thing. I think maybe I want the high end frequencies that get tamed in the Friedman's. But smart move is probably just keep it stock and see how it is first.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Ok so I emailed him and switched it to a 100w. Thank you and good call on the pulling 2 tubes, totally forgot about that trick.

The main reason I went 50w was the head width dimension. I ordered a 2061CX cabinet from stagecraft and they are 26" wide for a 50w. Marshall 100w are 30" wide I believe, and I was stuck on thinking that Ceriatone is the same so I never looked. But no, their 100w is also 26" wide, thus won't be too wide on top of the cab.

I may email him and ask about the whole "Friedman polish" high-end thing. I think maybe I want the high end frequencies that get tamed in the Friedman's. But smart move is probably just keep it stock and see how it is first.
Ask Nik about the whole “Friedman” thing, tell him what you want the amp to do. With very small changes he can most likely polish the amp to just what your after. My KK is being made with a Chupacabra on the drive side. You may be able to have a switch put in to go from stock to what you like in the Friedman, worth a shot. Mine is supposed to ship Wednesday or so.

Mjh36

Reaction score
Ask Nik about the whole “Friedman” thing, tell him what you want the amp to do. With very small changes he can most likely polish the amp to just what your after. My KK is being made with a Chupacabra on the drive side. You may be able to have a switch put in to go from stock to what you like in the Friedman, worth a shot. Mine is supposed to ship Wednesday or so.
I'll ask him, can't hurt like you said. But man mours is coming quick. I've read some of the differences in the Chupa/Yeti, but what about the chupa do you personally like over the yeti that's making you get the KK that way?

ampeq

Reaction score
To me the Yeti is more like a Friedman, darker so to speak. The Chupa is brighter and has a little more drive. They are both good amps and not a huge difference between them.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
The 100w gives you more headroom and louder clean tones. I also like a buffered loop. If you play out and loud a lot I would say go for the 100w amp, you can always pull 2 power tubes to go down to a 50w. Order what You think you may need down the road. These amps are keepers and you will love it, they can go down to a whisper very easily. They also have big power and are very versatile, they do not need pedals to drive them. Nik is great to work with and will change whatever you need. Get what you want the first time. I look at it like this, you have two road bikes one a 600 and one a 1000. The 600 will go plenty fast enough to get killed on and is lighter and slightly less money. However, there is NOTHING like a big block and you just keep pouring the power on. You simply can’t go wrong!
Ampeq,
I wish you would put "CERIATONE" in the title of this thread!
I skip right over it, not knowing any better, as the title dosent grab my attention.
Then Im several days behind, trying to catch up!
I go back and forth on the 50w vs. 100w thing.
The testosterone in me says just get the 100 watter.
My wallet says get the 100 watter...its only a few dollars more.
My brain says get the 50.
My ears say get the 50.
Ive always prefered the early volume distortion that a 50 watt offers (2204) vs. a 100 watt (2203), although both eventually sound great.
I already own the Yeti in 50.
So Im divided between my next Ceriatone Chupa being a 50 watt or 100.
I cant make up my mind!
I may even change models at the last minute, who knows???
I keep checking my e-mail every day, for a notice that its finally my turn!
Paid my deposit back in January, so Ive got to be VERY close!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score

CONGRATULATIONS!
Congratulations on your Ceriatone choice!
Id bet if you e-mailed Nik, and asked for a comparison video, A/B ing a Yeti and Chupa, he would probably do it, and add it to his YouTube channel.
If Not, perhaps I could, if and when I have them both in my possesion.
I already own a Yeti, and have a Chupa ordered and should be finally my turn, and coming my way very soon.
I agree with whats already been said about the Chupa being slightly brighter than a Yeti.
Take a look at the schematics of these 2 models, (Chupa & Yeti) .
They are identical, minus a few resistor values.
Only 3 resistor changes as I recall, off the top of my head.

On a side note, I would not consider a Yeti or Chupa as sounding like a Friedman.
Different sound to my ears.
If thats the sound your after, Id take a listen to the Molecular, Leviathan, or BE models that Ceriatone offers.
Depending on which model of Fman your after, I believe those 3 models may be a much closer match.

The great thing, is that Nik is flexable, so you have some time, to compare and decide.
With so many models, its almost overwhelming in a great way!
And again, congratulations, on whatever model and wattage you choose!
I believe your about to discover that great sounding, hand wired amplifiers, dont have to be expensive!

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Ampeq,
I wish you would put "CERIATONE" in the title of this thread!
I skip right over it, not knowing any better, as the title dosent grab my attention.
Then Im several days behind, trying to catch up!
I go back and forth on the 50w vs. 100w thing.
The testosterone in me says just get the 100 watter.
My wallet says get the 100 watter...its only a few dollars more.
My brain says get the 50.
My ears say get the 50.
Ive always prefered the early volume distortion that a 50 watt offers (2204) vs. a 100 watt (2203), although both eventually sound great.
I already own the Yeti in 50.
So Im divided between my next Ceriatone Chupa being a 50 watt or 100.
I cant make up my mind!
I may even change models at the last minute, who knows???
I keep checking my e-mail every day, for a notice that its finally my turn!
Paid my deposit back in January, so Ive got to be VERY close!
Scooter, if you like 50w most of the time I would say get it. Or, ask Nik if the 100w amp will sound the same as the 50w if you pull 2 tubes. Don’t get me wrong the 50w is an awesome, awesome amp. Did I tell you it was awesome? I guess you could look at it like this, if you play out a lot, especially with a loud band, get the 100w. If you just play at home or with a few friends go for the 50w. They will both do what you want, and you will need tools to get the smile off your face. These days I just rock the living room for the most part. You can’t go wrong either way my friend, one thing I will say is the 100w weighs a ton. You can tell the 50w amp is lighter, so if you move it around a lot you may want to consider that.

ampeq

Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS!
Congratulations on your Ceriatone choice!
Id bet if you e-mailed Nik, and asked for a comparison video, A/B ing a Yeti and Chupa, he would probably do it, and add it to his YouTube channel.
If Not, perhaps I could, if and when I have them both in my possesion.
I already own a Yeti, and have a Chupa ordered and should be finally my turn, and coming my way very soon.
I agree with whats already been said about the Chupa being slightly brighter than a Yeti.
Take a look at the schematics of these 2 models, (Chupa & Yeti) .
They are identical, minus a few resistor values.
Only 3 resistor changes as I recall, off the top of my head.

On a side note, I would not consider a Yeti or Chupa as sounding like a Friedman.
Different sound to my ears.
If thats the sound your after, Id take a listen to the Molecular, Leviathan, or BE models that Ceriatone offers.
Depending on which model of Fman your after, I believe those 3 models may be a much closer match.

The great thing, is that Nik is flexable, so you have some time, to compare and decide.
With so many models, its almost overwhelming in a great way!
And again, congratulations, on whatever model and wattage you choose!
I believe your about to discover that great sounding, hand wired amplifiers, dont have to be expensive!
I will try to get Nik to do a video showing both the Yeti and Chupa to help people decide, that is a good idea. I just got word my KK should be here Monday, it shipped last night. Yippee! I can’t wait to try that one, I’m really hoping it is my dream amp, it has the right stuff in it.

jchrisf

Reaction score
I will try to get Nik to do a video showing both the Yeti and Chupa to help people decide, that is a good idea. I just got word my KK should be here Monday, it shipped last night. Yippee! I can’t wait to try that one, I’m really hoping it is my dream amp, it has the right stuff in it.
That's awesome.. looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
My favorite sounding local guitarist plays a 100 watt modified JMP, with 2 tubes pulled, so 50 watts.
He uses that amp to play everything from very small indoor gigs, to large outdoor events.
He has taught me that 50 watts is absolutely plenty.
Yet my wallet, and testosterone are the ONLY things directing me toward the 100.
The great thing about a waiting list, is I have time to think things over, and change my mind numerous times!

Ampeq must feel like its Christmas eve!
Please keep us posted on its arrival!

Mjh36

Reaction score
Looking forward to your post about this one especially.

Mjh36

Reaction score
My favorite sounding local guitarist plays a 100 watt modified JMP, with 2 tubes pulled, so 50 watts.
He uses that amp to play everything from very small indoor gigs, to large outdoor events.
He has taught me that 50 watts is absolutely plenty.
Yet my wallet, and testosterone are the ONLY things directing me toward the 100.
The great thing about a waiting list, is I have time to think things over, and change my mind numerous times!

Ampeq must feel like its Christmas eve!
Please keep us posted on its arrival!
Yeah I was easily talked into it. I don't need 100w at all. Or 50 watts for that matter. This will be a bedroom amp with attenuation/loadbox most of the time.
Once Ampeq reminded me that I could just pull 2 tubes, and I saw the width is 26" for both the 50w and 100w, which will fit on my 2061cx cab, that kinda finalized the decision. I'm in your shoes, I can afford it and I don't want to question myself later. I'd rather have 100w and cut down to 50w, than have a 50w and then one day realize I need 100w. But when does that ever happen? Lol that's how crazy this crap is haha. I dunno man!

jchrisf

Reaction score
There is a 100 watt Yeti for sale at TGP for $1,300 shipped for anyone interested.

I emailed Nik this afternoon to ask about adding a bright cap to my 2204 and he replied back in 3 minutes.. it was 5am over there.

pwrmac7600

Reaction score
I gotta say, reading through your thread, while I am happy for you, I am bummed for me.
I ordered my AH 100 Deluxe last august, and I am still waiting....

Mjh36

Reaction score
I gotta say, reading through your thread, while I am happy for you, I am bummed for me.
I ordered my AH 100 Deluxe last august, and I am still waiting....
Oh man I hope mine won't take that long. I ordered back in January, same amp, and I was hoping it would be soon, but you're going on just over a year... maybe email him and get a rough estimate on time? If you find out let us know.

Latest posts