Car battery trickle charge

mtm105

Reaction score
6 months ago brand new battery Porsche 911. German battery probably cost $3-400.

I close car doors lightly, fearing abuse. So door is left open. I covered it for a week and voila! dead battery.

I trickle charged overnight, until it says OK in green. All is good. 2 weeks later battery dead. I do local driving here & there. Not much highway usage.

Now I'm leaving it on trickle charge for a week. Or, my question is that once it reaches OK green light, does it no longer charge??

jmp45

Reaction score
I use a tender on the rider mower year round. My son uses them on his cycles. I use them til the battery is at end of life. Batteries for a Porsche @ $300+, that's nuts.

RobS

Reaction score
as RCM said, load test it.
also, with your trickle charger, if it has a desulfation program use that. the default trickle charge setting on most assumes a 'good' battery.

I have my Harley on a trickle charger all the time when not riding and when I do ride I make sure it gets a good ride in to recharge whilst riding. - batteries for them here in Aus are over $200 and theyre tiny !
Short trips do more damage to batteries than anything else......same to engines

In answer to once green light reached do they still charge, most will go into a maintain cycle where the battery charge stops for say 30 min's, it tests voltage and then tops up charge & so on - connect a multimeter to the battery & you will see what its doing

purpleplexi

Reaction score
You don't need to baby your Porsche. They are among the most well- built cars on the planet. I use a CTEK on mine which doesn't quit until the battery is ready to go. I sometimes leave it unstarted for 3 months while I'm away. Always starts first touch. I suspect your car needs what we call an Italian tune up. If I were nearby I'd offer to do it for you.😀

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Might have a bad cell or more in the battery. How old is it? Like others have said, have it tested and as the old saying goes, If you want to play, you have to pay!!!

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
6 months ago brand new battery Porsche 911. German battery probably cost $3-400.

I close car doors lightly, fearing abuse. So door is left open. I covered it for a week and voila! dead battery.

I trickle charged overnight, until it says OK in green. All is good. 2 weeks later battery dead. I do local driving here & there. Not much highway usage.

Now I'm leaving it on trickle charge for a week. Or, my question is that once it reaches OK green light, does it no longer charge??
Porsches are prone to do that... I use to buy my batteries at costco, extended warranty because I knew my Cayman was going to fuck up with the battery anyway.

I bought a Solar trickle charger at autozone because my building did not provide AC outlets in the garage, anything goes just choose something safe.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
you hit the nail on the head.

I forgot what it was called. 996s notorious. I've read owners just live with it and charge frequently. This was exasperated by 1 week interior light...

Wow, the manual says to live with it ?

I can't imagine why anyone would design a car with a parasitic draw large enough to prematurely drain a battery.
Imo a car should be able to sit at least a month with no issues.
Maybe it's a tiny battery for space savings???

Speaking of automotive stupidity did anyone see this story-
BMW subscription seat heaters

You buy a car with everything needed to have seat heaters but pay extra to have BMW turn them on . lol

"BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.
A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415."

Chargers? I still have one of these-
s-l1600.jpg

Some people still really want these old school ones instead of the new digital ones.
I think these are worth more now than when new

AtomicRob

Reaction score
German battery probably cost $3-400.
Ha, I wish the battery for my BMW was that cheap!

I will second the advice to use a battery maintainer that has a desulfating cycle - these are better than plain old trickle chargers, and can sometimes bring your battery "back to life" if it was damaged by previously discharging it too much for example.

A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415."
I have heated seats, don't recall what the option cost but it was probably bundled with the 27-way organic grass-fed leather seat package which I'm sure cost more than $415. So this doesn't seem like a terrible idea, especially if you live somewhere where you might only want them for a month or two each year.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I have heated seats, don't recall what the option cost but it was probably bundled with the 27-way organic grass-fed leather seat package which I'm sure cost more than $415. So this doesn't seem like a terrible idea, especially if you live somewhere where you might only want them for a month or two each year.

They have not done it in the states yet. Seems pretty lame to me.
From the article I linked-

"It’s no surprise that BMW isn’t trumpeting the news, though. Since the company announced in 2020 that its cars’ operating system would allow for microtransactions on features like automatic high beams and adaptive cruise control, customers have decried the move as greedy and exploitative...."

"Other features that BMW is locking behind subscriptions (as per the company’s digital UK store) include heated steering wheels, from $12 a month; the option to record footage from your car’s cameras, priced at $235 for “unlimited” use; and the “IconicSounds Sport package,” which lets you play engine sounds in your car for a one-time fee of $117."

"the dynamic is very different when software, rather than hardware, is the limiting factor."

The Digital Age- a one time fee to activate software that plays engine sounds in the cabin!
Motoring ain't what it used to be that's for sure.

Latest posts