Can you play an AVT150h through an MG412 cab?

Bucknasty

Reaction score
I have an MG100HDFX half stack and I'm wanting to upgrade to the avt150h can I still use the MG412 cab?

stock_hippie

Reaction score
those avt150 seem way cool...i could go for that,,,,avt50 da boss amp!

felim

Reaction score
You can but don't go to full volume. The AVT150h is a 150 watt head, the MG412 is a 120 watt cabinet, the head on close to full volume would likely blow your speakers.

Bucknasty

Reaction score
I've also been thinkin about puttin some verteran 30's in there.

JohnH

Reaction score
Its OK - AVT150s only put out 150W into a 4Ohm load, which means two cabs. Anyway, they have soild state output sections, which you do not drive to the limit, (unlike all tubes amp) because they will sound nasty. So long as they are sounding good, the power is less than max.

John

myspaceruinslives

Reaction score
check your running the right impedance and as somebody else already said cause of the differece in volume dont run it full tilt!

this is a subject close to my heart actually can anybody suggest something for me??

i run the avt150 head at the moment through a jcm 800 lead series cab that is 16 ohm

the avt when driving a single cab is 8 ohm out put,

the limited theory knowledge i know would sugest that with the resistance of the speaker being twice the output of my amp, its having to work harder to drive this speaker

is there any way to rewire to make my cab 8 ohm????

or any sugestions?????

JohnH

Reaction score
The avt amps, with their solid state output sections, are perfectly happy driving higher Ohms loads, you just dont get quite as much output than it can push into 8 or 4 ohms. No need for you to change anything if it sounds good.

Its actually not possible to rewire 4 16 Ohm speakers (as you have) to make 8 Ohms. The only other sensible option is all in parallel to make 4 Ohms. The AVT head can actually drive a 4Ohm load, at which it will give its max 150W power. It will be working harder however, so if its OK now I'd keep your cab as it is.

John

Littlekookoo1

Reaction score
M
Its OK - AVT150s only put out 150W into a 4Ohm load, which means two cabs. Anyway, they have soild state output sections, which you do not drive to the limit, (unlike all tubes amp) because they will sound nasty. So long as they are sounding good, the power is less than max.
Hi John new guy here.im not the most tech inclined person.i don't understand why the an avt has 2 8ohm puts and 1 4ohm out when 2 8s just leave you with 4 at least for one cab or will it actually run 2 4s.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnH

Reaction score
hi @Littlekookoo1

Old questions are the best! There's probably way less AVTs around now, but if you have one or are just curious, then its still a good question.

Solid state amps like this AVT are limited by a lowest total value of speaker ohms that they can drive, or else the speaker draws too much current out of the amp and the amp can fail. For the AVT, this limit was 4 Ohms. So you could drive one 4 Ohm cab, or you could run two 8's which being in parallel equate to 4 Ohms. But you couldn't run two 4's because that would be a 2 Ohm load

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The output chips do get really hot at 4 ohms. They are not robust, and the fans in these amps lose lubrication and air flow. I would not press my luck and go nuts at 4 ohms.

I have replaced the outputs in these amps with fan issues before that were running 2 8 ohm cabs, Make sure that fan is pushing maximum air.

3 amps were repairable, 2 others smoked numerous traces on the pcb as well as the outputs and were not worth fixing.

I have a electronic lubricant pen with a needle tip that I just put a couple drops on the shaft of the fan and they work as new.

4ohms and a compromised fan can overheat the chips and roast them.

They use the same output chips in some car audio systems.

Not trying to scare you, but ime there are risks to running some of these amps at 4ohms at high volume for an extended length of time.

Littlekookoo1

Reaction score
It just seems a little redundant that I could run a 4ohm or 2 8s that equal 4 and don't make Thier cabs to run at 8 apologies for bad grammar