Can I "daisychain" 2 JCM 800 Bass 100W?

P.Bass

Reaction score
Hello,
I have 2 JCM 800 Bass stacks (both 100W). I run them with a A/B/Y splitter (Orange). This works perfect and I can have a "clean" bass signal and a "distorted" one using pedals.
But I was wondering if I could "daisychain" them?
Can I use the DI for it?
Plug the Bass into JCM #1, use the DI, and plug into JCM #2? Will this work?
And if yes, should I use a speaker cable or a guitar cable?
Thanks for your answer.
Kr,

V-man

Reaction score
I had a ‘84 1992 years ago. I did slave the 1992 to a 4100 for a while, but that had a recording compensated line out and other options that IIRC were line-level outs. If the Super Bass DI is line-level, you can slave one stack to the other without damaging amp #2. this is the question you need to address.

The Question I would think is more relevant however, is why bother slaving the two? The amp does a fine clean… and that’s just about it. You need enormous amounts of volume to get one to break up playing straight in, and even then it still isn’t a very gainy/distorted signal at all. They take pedals wonderfully, so (other than pure morbid curiosity) why would you want to bother slaving a near breakup-free amp into another near-breakup-free amp, when you can set each stack with/without drive pedal(s) of choice and A/B/Y them as your needs dictate?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
How can i daisy chain these 2 heads
together? As you can see i put the
daisychains on the heads, but im afraid it
wont work like that.

Hgzu777.jpg

So maybe i need another head and put another
daisychain on it and then link them all together
somehow, maybe with a long speakercable or a real heavy chain?

Kzuzz777l.jpg

Silly. But atleast some tatas to glance at.:p

P.Bass

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer.
As it is set-up now (with the A/B/Y) it works fine and I'm able to produce 2 different sounds (using pedals) if I want to.
I was just wondering what to do, in case a have the opportunity to buy a 3rd stack (one can never have enough Marshall stacks), if I could simply "extend" and link one amp to another via the DI.
Last Monday, I went to see Marky Ramones Blitzkrieg, and the guitar player had 2 beautifull JCM 800 leads. He did not use a A/B/Y and in one amp his guitar was plugged in. In the other amp a cable was plugged in that came from the back. This got me wondering if I could do the same via the DI.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
The later 800s had DI outputs, so maybe he was
going into one head and used the DI to feed
the input of the second?

Was it LOUD?

P.Bass

Reaction score
I think that's what he did indeed. One of my Bass heads has also a DI, so I guess I can do the same?

It was loud! and it was good.
Seen the real thing 14 times in my life and this came very close.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Ofcourse this can be done, just use a regular
audiocable from DI to input of head #2.

Idk if this will produce the sound that youre
after. You might have to watch the levels
that you set the first amp to, but since those
are pure tube amps i think it should work and
im sure this has been done on countless stages
back in the days where you could play the amps
real loud.

Bassically it will overdrive the input of the #2
amp i guess and is probably freakingly loud.

I wouldnt do this with amps that have solid
state ic chips as input stages, they usually
break if overloaded too much.

But with your amps i think its fine.

Have fun!

V-man

Reaction score
Just to be clear… you are running your Super Bass amps as a Bass rig, not as a guitar rig, correct?

V-man

Reaction score
That doesn’t explicitly answer the question, but seeing that the thumbnail appears to be 412 cabs the “assumption” is you are running this as a guitar rig?

P.Bass

Reaction score
The one with the horizontal inputs has a DI. For this one I have a second cab, identical to the one on the picture. And as said, my set up now with the A/B/Y is just perfect. I use the horizontal one to have the natural bass sound. The vertical one as natural or distorted. I have a Bad Monkey and a Micro POG to have a more "guitarish" sound when our gitare player does the solos.

So, it's a theoretical question for the moment. If I should find a 3rd stack, can I link the horizontal one (with the DI) to the 3rd one?

P.Bass

Reaction score
Nono, I'm a bass player.
And the cab left on the picture is a 4X10 (his twin that is not on the picture also). The cab on the right is a 4X12.

Attachments

• Marshall 9.jpg
    Marshall 9.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Marshall 5.jpg
    Marshall 5.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 3

V-man

Reaction score
incorect assumption on my part, but now crucial question #3… unless you are a LARGE venue pro band, or a medium-large venue 3 or 4 piece band where you fill in with a single guitarist, how practical is running 3 bass amps? As a Geezer to your Toni Iommi in a reasonable venue, I can see it, but in a 4-5 piece band with 2 guitarists, I don’t see the payoff or the stage room for 3 stacks unless you are a big band on big stages. If anything, I’d opt for more cabs than a 3rd bass amp (also needing more cabs).

P.Bass

Reaction score
You are right. I'm not Geezer and we are only a trio punkish, garage rock'n'roll band.
I certainly don't need a 3rd set. But I like Marshall JCM 800 Bass amps. It's the same as my wife doesn't need a 15th handbag, nor a 40th pair of shoes :cool:

I'm looking for a 1935B cab, to go with the 1935A on the vertical input head. That's indeed more "reasonable".
But my question was "theoretical" if the DI could be used for this purpose.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
So, it's a theoretical question for the moment. If I should find a 3rd stack, can I link the horizontal one (with the DI) to the 3rd one?
Yes should work, Bass to your signalsplitter box
and connect DI from horizontal 800 into hypothetical amp #3.

Those crazy Bassplayers!:lol:

V-man

Reaction score
If you are in love with the 800 amp sound, the only sense (to me) a 3rd head would make would be as a backup in the event you have an issue with one of the other 2 that will take weeks to repair.

If you are looking for a larger sound, I would look at 2 additional cabs (figure the speakers how you want) and being a 3 piece, your bass is a larger part of the overall sound.

The second option I would consider (unless you know the JCM is your thing) is a different amp altogether. It could be a different Marshall, or something more ubiquitous to bassists, like an ampeg. It just seems a little crazy to me to have exactly 3 amps of the same type and nothing else (but I can easily see that happen however, with a pro who is convinced he has found his sound with a specific amp)

P.Bass

Reaction score
of course you are right V-man.
Currently I have the 2 heads as in the picture. And 3 cabs, only 2 of them are on the picture. 2 cabs are exactly the same (the one on the left in the picture).
And as already mentioned, if I find a cab to match with the 1935A, at a "normal" price, I will surely buy it.

The reason why? I'm in love with JCM 800 Bass. It is my bass sound for more then 30 years now. It fits the garagerock we're playing.
The one on the left I bought new when I was +- 18 years old. It never failed me. The other one on the right I bought second hand about a year ago.

I have them once in a while serviced by a freak on tube amps who does a very good job at a decent price. Never have to wait long. He also builds his own amps: FAD. I can recommend him: http://www.freeqi.be/ for those living in Belgium.

And the thing is, an old friend of mine who was also a bass player and was the inspiration that I started playing bass when I was 14y old, had the same JCM 800 Bass. Unfortunately he passed away 6 years ago. His wife still has his rig. She can't part of it. I hope someday she gives me the honour of playing his amp. I'm sure he will look down on it from above and shout: "Play it louder man, play it f*cking louder!".

P.Bass

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this video. I've seen it before. The guy has modified the amp. The sound is more distorted than mine because of this. But it comes very close. I have 2 4X10 and 1 4X12. I don't have the 15" version.

Do I hear some "Lemmy" in there ;-)