Can a DSL 100H get close to a Friedman BE100?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Very interesting, something strange going on .
That's basically what I am noticing. I think Friedman is maybe updating these amps before they go to the dealer. Making changes where they think it can improve things. Which I suppose isn't a bad idea at all... if it works out that is. So MacKenzie got a bit of a runt, lol and OldGuyJammin got a goodie. At least it means that someone is playing these amps and actually making sure they sound as they should. At those prices, you would want that kind of quality control. Customized amps can sound different. Go into a shop and see a few custom amps of the same make a model. Play them all and pick the one that you groove with the most. No two amps are identically the same, but if they are being updated like this, then yeah, they aren't going to be same.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I explored Friedmans for awhile, really loved the tone on my own in the studio....but with a band, the crunch loses its crunch, and you just get a big fat middy tone. I tried different settings, models, boosts, but Marshall amps kick Friedman butt live. Hands down.
I disagree-both are great. This is the Dirty Shirley which is one of the darker "middy-er" lol amps Friedman has.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to be a nay-sayer, but... you are using a cry-baby, which makes for a major boost in treble...
I know but that's a cool groove to solo over ain't it??

It still has bite--not as much as a JMP but more so than my Orange or EVH or any Mesa besides the Stiletto definitely. I mean, I always say Friedmans are not "better" Marshalls--nothing has the rip of a good Marshall. Nothing. But to say they aren't any good in a live setting is not true. IMO of course

Here's without the wah but I know the same Dazed clip is also in there so fair warning

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
that DS rips
Yeah it's really grown on me lately which is surprising seeing that I just bought the Helios. Like @Karl Brake said I was worried about not having the bite of the Marshall but while different it is a fun ass amp to play
Makes a Marshall sound like "meat without the bone", as Schenker used to say. Totally changes not just the treble but the structure of the midrange.
I'm a Page junkie--high treble input, treble and presence cranked, wah engaged lol.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Yeah it's really grown on me lately which is surprising seeing that I just bought the Helios. Like @Karl Brake said I was worried about not having the bite of the Marshall but while different it is a fun ass amp to play

I'm a Page junkie--high treble input, treble and presence cranked, wah engaged lol.
Like my amps ‘ bright’ with plenty of ‘bite’ aswell .

Phoenix1

Reaction score
Figured this may be of interest around here - I’m a massive fan of Friedman amps and also love the DSL. Given the price difference and what is often written online, you’re kind of led to believe that the Vietnamese made DSL’s will never hold up against a high end US built amp.

I don’t think they sound the same, and they each have different features and sounds they excel at. And I think both costs are totally justified; it’s really quite an achievement for a DSL to sell for the prices they go for and we’re in a lucky time to have some many options available at every price bracket. This is just comparing how I like my BE set up against the DSL red channel. Friedman is a noticeably nicer build in every way and doing that in america (with Dave’s personal email service) will always carry a cost.

Using the same DI performance, same cab/mic placement etc. Similar volume in the room and the audio is normalised afterwards to the same RMS. Friedman is a little darker, more compressed, DSL is more dynamic/raw/open.

I’m sure anyone with a Friedman already is delighted with their amp - if you have a cheaper DSL and are curious how it compares to a more expensive amp then this may be reassuring. I don’t think one sounds better than the other, maybe some would have a personal preference one way or the other but they can each do a stellar job.

I have a DSL 100 and it is nice is all I can say. Or close but no cigar and I want the cigar. I ordered a Silver Jubilee 2555X last October or November been so long I cant remember. All i have is the “A” cabinet that arrived a month ago. Comparing the cabs, in all honesty, I think the biggest difference from the mx 4-12 and the SJ is the wood the cabs are made from. Plus better speakers of course but the particle board cabinets of the MX series does not even compare to the spruce plywood of the SJ. The soundboards of acoustic guitars or even pianos are spruce. Now that I have both A cab plugged into my DSL the SJ cab Just sounds full and warm where the MX cab is just empty and you have to adjust the amp to produce the sound and that goes only so far. If the SJ B cab and head comes in next month my DSL will be for sale.

Attachments

• A370019B-B9D0-4342-B13B-6BB08536D816.jpeg
    A370019B-B9D0-4342-B13B-6BB08536D816.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 2

Matthew77

Reaction score
Figured this may be of interest around here - I’m a massive fan of Friedman amps and also love the DSL. Given the price difference and what is often written online, you’re kind of led to believe that the Vietnamese made DSL’s will never hold up against a high end US built amp.

I don’t think they sound the same, and they each have different features and sounds they excel at. And I think both costs are totally justified; it’s really quite an achievement for a DSL to sell for the prices they go for and we’re in a lucky time to have some many options available at every price bracket. This is just comparing how I like my BE set up against the DSL red channel. Friedman is a noticeably nicer build in every way and doing that in america (with Dave’s personal email service) will always carry a cost.

Using the same DI performance, same cab/mic placement etc. Similar volume in the room and the audio is normalised afterwards to the same RMS. Friedman is a little darker, more compressed, DSL is more dynamic/raw/open.

I’m sure anyone with a Friedman already is delighted with their amp - if you have a cheaper DSL and are curious how it compares to a more expensive amp then this may be reassuring. I don’t think one sounds better than the other, maybe some would have a personal preference one way or the other but they can each do a stellar job.

My Marshall Origin 50 is impressive. I have many tube amps, all with vintage tube replacements. The Origin has Mullard 12ax7’s and RCA power tubes. The cleans are brilliant and sparkly and with a pedal or 2 it really shines!
I have an original Budda SD18 that is also loaded with old Mullards and RCA. The Budda is a boutique amp, sounds really good, unique drive! One doesn’t sound better than the other…. Perhaps the Budda is a bit more rugged. I have to agree with Vietnamese Marshall’s being kick ass amps!! I’m hoping it lasts!

Reaction score

NO! it will not ! The dslh is a cheap piece of junk !

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
I prefer the DSL.

And yeah, I know some people seem to sneer at the very idea they can be any good*, but to my ears, they’re actually decent amps, and at times surprisingly so for the pricetag.

* Same goes for JVMs, and other modern/cheap/both options.
I have so many Marshalls, if I could only keep one it would be an easy choice JVM410H!

Glad I bought all my amps/gear before prices went insane too!

jeffb

Reaction score
Cabs matter big time.
I have a DSL 100 and it is nice is all I can say. Or close but no cigar and I want the cigar. I ordered a Silver Jubilee 2555X last October or November been so long I cant remember. All i have is the “A” cabinet that arrived a month ago. Comparing the cabs, in all honesty, I think the biggest difference from the mx 4-12 and the SJ is the wood the cabs are made from. Plus better speakers of course but the particle board cabinets of the MX series does not even compare to the spruce plywood of the SJ. The soundboards of acoustic guitars or even pianos are spruce. Now that I have both A cab plugged into my DSL the SJ cab Just sounds full and warm where the MX cab is just empty and you have to adjust the amp to produce the sound and that goes only so far. If the SJ B cab and head comes in next month my DSL will be for sale.

machinated

Reaction score
I wouldn’t necessarily equate amps and cabs in this instance. Cabs are largely based on their acoustic/physical properties - cutting corners on wood and it’s design, as well as speakers are going to impact the sound in pretty noticeable ways.

With far east made amps, they’re not influenced so much by these physical properties - more often than not they use the exact same capacitors and resistors as any other amp (and hearing a difference between brands of caps and resistors is very hard to consistently do). The main factor in the cost being reduced on an amplifier is to do with labour. I’m not saying the build quality is as high either, the head cab and switches etc are definitely more flimsy and cheap feeling than the UK made amps but I don’t think the tone is compromised at all. It’s the circuit that is crucial - a Friedman and most Marshalls have their DNA in a modded Plexi. That’s why they can be dialled fairly close. I’m not saying they’re identical, but I’d be a bit more concerned if they sounded wildly apart.

A good cab makes a FAR FAR FAR bigger difference to tone than people give credit for. So much emphasis is placed on amps and cabs can be treated like an afterthought, when honestly I think most people would be better off exploring cabs and speakers.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good cab makes a FAR FAR FAR bigger difference to tone than people give credit for. So much emphasis is placed on amps and cabs can be treated like an afterthought, when honestly I think most people would be better off exploring cabs and speakers
Lotta truth here

taylodl

Reaction score
I don't hear a significant difference at all. An EQ pedal would certainly fix any slight differences. At that point, the only way you'd be able to tell one from the other would be to play them side by side like you did here. You couldn't tell blindly.
Me neither. I wasn't 100% sure they ever hit the A/B switch. Like another commenter said, if they sound that similar then why am I paying 4x more for the Friedman? There's a lot of gear you can buy with that kind of money!

taylodl

Reaction score
A good cab makes a FAR FAR FAR bigger difference to tone than people give credit for. So much emphasis is placed on amps and cabs can be treated like an afterthought, when honestly I think most people would be better off exploring cabs and speakers.
Speakers make a HUGE difference in tone! The URM Academy on YouTube has done several speaker comparisons and the differences a speaker makes is amazing! Being a bit funny I've thought you can make any amp sound like any other amp just by changing the speaker! Now start combining different speakers in a cab - whoa!

Though they don't have as much impact as speakers, even cabs make a difference in tone. At the end of the day I'm always amazed how little attention people give to the devices that are actually making their sound - the speaker.

Latest posts