Can a DSL 100H get close to a Friedman BE100?

machinated

Reaction score
Figured this may be of interest around here - I’m a massive fan of Friedman amps and also love the DSL. Given the price difference and what is often written online, you’re kind of led to believe that the Vietnamese made DSL’s will never hold up against a high end US built amp.

I don’t think they sound the same, and they each have different features and sounds they excel at. And I think both costs are totally justified; it’s really quite an achievement for a DSL to sell for the prices they go for and we’re in a lucky time to have some many options available at every price bracket. This is just comparing how I like my BE set up against the DSL red channel. Friedman is a noticeably nicer build in every way and doing that in america (with Dave’s personal email service) will always carry a cost.

Using the same DI performance, same cab/mic placement etc. Similar volume in the room and the audio is normalised afterwards to the same RMS. Friedman is a little darker, more compressed, DSL is more dynamic/raw/open.

I’m sure anyone with a Friedman already is delighted with their amp - if you have a cheaper DSL and are curious how it compares to a more expensive amp then this may be reassuring. I don’t think one sounds better than the other, maybe some would have a personal preference one way or the other but they can each do a stellar job.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
I prefer the DSL.

And yeah, I know some people seem to sneer at the very idea they can be any good*, but to my ears, they’re actually decent amps, and at times surprisingly so for the pricetag.

* Same goes for JVMs, and other modern/cheap/both options.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. Tbf for context I have 10 Marshall amps (plus cabs) and one Friedman
Like you said they both have their places, I have no Friedman to compare, but I do have a couple of Dsl40c’s, and I think they are great amps.
Thanks for sharing this..
Nice playing and tones for sure and a very honest comparison.
Cheers
Mitch

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Figured this may be of interest around here - I’m a massive fan of Friedman amps and also love the DSL. Given the price difference and what is often written online, you’re kind of led to believe that the Vietnamese made DSL’s will never hold up against a high end US built amp.

I don’t think they sound the same, and they each have different features and sounds they excel at. And I think both costs are totally justified; it’s really quite an achievement for a DSL to sell for the prices they go for and we’re in a lucky time to have some many options available at every price bracket. This is just comparing how I like my BE set up against the DSL red channel. Friedman is a noticeably nicer build in every way and doing that in america (with Dave’s personal email service) will always carry a cost.

Using the same DI performance, same cab/mic placement etc. Similar volume in the room and the audio is normalised afterwards to the same RMS. Friedman is a little darker, more compressed, DSL is more dynamic/raw/open.

I’m sure anyone with a Friedman already is delighted with their amp - if you have a cheaper DSL and are curious how it compares to a more expensive amp then this may be reassuring. I don’t think one sounds better than the other, maybe some would have a personal preference one way or the other but they can each do a stellar job.

In answer to your question , NO . Not even close tbh .

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Get an EQ, boost the low mids (400-500hz) and tame the highs. Goose the front end on the Lead 2 channel with the gain kinda low. It won’t be the same, but you’ll get a thick, “hot rodded Marshall” sound.

To be fair, I think this gives me more of a 70’s Orange tone than a Friedman tone with my DSL40C, but it’s a cool and very usable heavy tone.

johan.b

Reaction score
Copy and install the saturation switch and try again.... diode clipping, to my ears at least, always have a certain sound you can't get away from.. diodes become the great cockie cutter. Whatever pushes them gets cut to the shape determined by the diodes (friedmann uses two back to back transistors, using the zener effect, but that's still diodes).. some love it, some like it.... and some don't....

machinated

Reaction score
Copy and install the saturation switch and try again.... diode clipping, to my ears at least, always have a certain sound you can't get away from.. diodes become the great cockie cutter. Whatever pushes them gets cut to the shape determined by the diodes (friedmann uses two back to back transistors, using the zener effect, but that's still diodes).. some love it, some like it.... and some don't....

I actually like the diode clipping options as a novelty but I usually leave them off unless i’m noodling for fun or after a specific sound. Friedman doesn’t implement them the “proper” way but I still like how Dave’s take on it sounds. Jason Tong has done some good videos on youtube showing different ways of implementing various clipping circuits and how they sound.

On this example there was no diode clipping involved just to keep it a fair test.

If I was doing mods to a DSL, then things such as switchable bright cap, a choke, adjusting gain etc would be fun things to add

In answer to your question , NO . Not even close tbh .

perfectly entitled to your opinion although I believe my video shows it can get close for some sounds. Maybe those small differences are extremely important to you though… Perhaps you’d like to explain what you mean a bit more

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I lost all respect for Friedman and his products.
It was a podcast episode where Friedman lied about Marshall not manufacturing anything in England anymore.
That podcast quickly was deleted from youtube, and rightfully so.
What a slam to the parent company that he earns his living.
Told me all I need to know about him.
No respect for Friedman here.
None.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I lost all respect for Friedman and his products.
It was a podcast episode where Friedman lied about Marshall not manufacturing anything in England anymore.
That podcast quickly was deleted from youtube, and rightfully so.
What a slam to the parent company that he earns his living.
Told me all I need to know about him.
No respect for Friedman here.
None.

could he have been mistaken by chance?
can you show us that podcast if you can
find it?

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
could he have been mistaken by chance?
can you show us that podcast if you can
find it?

It was pulled rather quickly and is no longer on you tube.
I bet someone out there has a copy.

And for a man who has made a living by modding a Marshall, Im 100% certain it was intentional.