Boosting the TSL

Vesperado

Reaction score
These last few days I've had the opportunity to pull out every stompbox I own to put them in front of the TSL, so see if I could better ascertain what works and what doesn't.

In short, the best results were had with boosts and EQs, only particular stompboxes played nice with the amp.

During the winter break I re-voiced the Clean Channel using a quad of H75s and a T75 UK. However, having reverted back to the UK T75s and acquiring a C12NH 75, the clean is more "finicky". Although it can take stompboxes, to my taste they get colored too much, leaving the sound rather compressed and "picky". I might go back in and re-voice the channel afresh, but aside from this the channel sounds fine on its own. So I have decided to not employ any stompboxes over the Clean.

What seems to work best is setting up the drives with the Gain set on a light to moderate crunch and then, depending on the guitar pickup, either employing a boost, an EQ, or a stompbox. The TSL is rather particular to what you put before it, at volume one buffer has a different signature than that of another. Likewise, one stomp may blend better than another. I do not have an elaborate collection of dirt, but what I have found to work best were these:

ASAT Classic USA -
Crunch, Low-Gain: Ibanez TS9 with 33n, Maxon ST9Pro+ on 18V and Modern, Maxon VOP9 on 9V, Yamaha GE-100 @ 15V, Biyang EQ7 @ 15V
Lead: none, MFDs are too noisy

PRS SC-250 USA w/ Musiclily Ceramics -
Crunch, High-Gain: GMR Spares BC Dallas with a 7-11n input, Biyang EQ7 @ 15V, Barber Launch Pad
Lead: Biyang EQ7 @ 15V, Barber Launch Pad

A Buffered Boost provides the most saturated tone through the amp (think fuzzy and big bottom), an EQ a "hot crunch" tone (strings are more controlled and tight), a Treble Booster a "rock tone" (nasty mids), and a Tube Screamer type the notorious Tube Screamer tone (go figure).

Any other combination doesn't work very well or doesn't blend with the amp's character. The TSL is pure Marshall tone!

There are (3) options for dialing in a clean for those who really want to get their favorite pedals to play as best as they can on this amp, there is Clean Normal, Clean Mid Boost (disengages Mid control), and the Crunch with the Gain set low. This affords the user three separate tone stacks. But what I have determined is this amp likes to be *blasted* from the front and cannot be used as a pedal-platform. I have pedals which are great and work with ease on my BH15H, but do not, simply do not work well with the TSL. It is what it is. Be that as it may, I can get any sound I desire from the Drives, either dry or boosted, so there really is no need to fret over my pedal collection which is reserved for my pedal-platform amp anyways.

BTW, a stock TSL is a different story altogether. I would advise getting that resolved.

Adieu

Reaction score
Wait what?

You have an American PRS with 10 dollar pickups?

Adieu

Reaction score
LOL, yup, best 45 dollars spent on 2 sets, these pups are excellent. Cannot recommend them enough!

Which ones?

And are they supposed to be originals or just good copies of some sort of SD or DMZ?

Vesperado

Reaction score
Which ones?

And are they supposed to be originals or just good copies of some sort of SD or DMZ?
They list them as 15k on their website (last summer is when I ordered them, not sure of any new updates), but in reality they are a consistent 8.3k/7.6k, and need not to be a hair hotter; they work great with anything I play through, especially the TSL. Can't say that about SD, IG, etc., at least the ones I've tried. There is no undesireable spiking or dipping of freqs, all is very well balanced and controllable. I'm really happy that I gave them a shot!

The guitars I bought new from Buffalo Bros in Carlsbad, Ca years ago. Only the bone nuts, pups, and orange drops are not original. They came with tusq and really bad pups, the "250 Bass and Treble", which had no adjustable pole-pieces.

I use DR strings and occasionally D'darrio. The Amber is in drop C# 10-50, and the Deep Blue is in drop C 10-52.
View media item 12568View media item 12567

Adieu

Reaction score
Wait so you ordered a Duncan Distortion clone set but got ceramic PAFs instead??

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I boost my TSL and DSL100 with a TS9DX, SD1, or ZW44 when it’s time for metal. I could write novels about how good mine sound boosted. I have been able to get some nice SRV tone out of my TSL with the right pedals and strat. That also takes a novel to explain but it works. I feel these amps are made to be boosted for metal.

Vesperado

Reaction score
I boost my TSL and DSL100 with a TS9DX, SD1, or ZW44 when it’s time for metal. I could write novels about how good mine sound boosted. I have been able to get some nice SRV tone out of my TSL with the right pedals and strat. That also takes a novel to explain but it works. I feel these amps are made to be boosted for metal.
I couldn't agree more :) And with different cabs you get different signatures, too!

Tonight I discovered my secret weapon (well no longer a secret, just never considered its specific use for the purposes here):

Korg OCT01 Octave pedal > EQ7 or Launch Pad > OD channels = insane fat bottom crushing authoritaaah!!

The thunder I get is so reminiscent of Tremonti when I saw him live in '99...

I modded the TS9 to give it a pinch of extended lows. I never tried a SD1 or ZW44, but they sound like fun. Is that an original or a reissue you have? Oh yes, I know what you mean, I get some serious tone with the ASAT, and SRV is definitely on tap there (I made my TS9 switchable between the 47n and my 33n value).

El Gringo

Reaction score
They list them as 15k on their website (last summer is when I ordered them, not sure of any new updates), but in reality they are a consistent 8.3k/7.6k, and need not to be a hair hotter; they work great with anything I play through, especially the TSL. Can't say that about SD, IG, etc., at least the ones I've tried. There is no undesireable spiking or dipping of freqs, all is very well balanced and controllable. I'm really happy that I gave them a shot!

The guitars I bought new from Buffalo Bros in Carlsbad, Ca years ago. Only the bone nuts, pups, and orange drops are not original. They came with tusq and really bad pups, the "250 Bass and Treble", which had no adjustable pole-pieces.

I use DR strings and occasionally D'darrio. The Amber is in drop C# 10-50, and the Deep Blue is in drop C 10-52.
View media item 12568View media item 12567
Beautiful PRS guitars . Didn't they come with Dragon pickups ? If not tell me what made you replace them please ?

Vesperado

Reaction score
Beautiful PRS guitars . Didn't they come with Dragon pickups ? If not tell me what made you replace them please ?
Read the text to which you've replied and you will have your answer.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
LOL, yup, best 45 dollars spent on 2 sets, these pups are excellent. Cannot recommend them enough!
Truth be told, I put a Musiclilly humbucker in my old Aria Pro 2 back when my daughter wanted to learn guitar (she unfortunately gave up after a while), and it sounds pretty damn good, quite similar to a Duncan Distortion. Definitely usable, and a great bang for the buck.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Are you using the clean channel for SRV? Would make sense as ive read the clean channel is fender based. Even with gain on 10 it’s very clean.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Are you using the clean channel for SRV? Would make sense as ive read the clean channel is fender based. Even with gain on 10 it’s very clean.
Gain on 10 on clean channel on TSL? Mine has quite a bit of grit, that's why I like gain on the clean channel.

Buzzard

Reaction score
It's been a bit since I used my tsl 100 but I do remember the clean channel had almost no grit at all with gain on 10.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
It's been a bit since I used my tsl 100 but I do remember the clean channel had almost no grit at all with gain on 10.
Huh. I havent used mine in a bit but recall specifically using that for some grit. Perhaps it wasnt bery much grit so I switched channels.
Memory these days.

I like cheese, too! :D

Vesperado

Reaction score
Truth be told, I put a Musiclilly humbucker in my old Aria Pro 2 back when my daughter wanted to learn guitar (she unfortunately gave up after a while), and it sounds pretty damn good, quite similar to a Duncan Distortion. Definitely usable, and a great bang for the buck.
Great bang indeed: I had a friend over today who would not put the PRS down, and he's a single-coil/P90 kind of guy. Should have seen the look on his face when I told him they were $20 Korean pups, he was baffled but proceeded to test out the range to see what they could do...that grin...

Vesperado

Reaction score
New boosting shema for me TSL (modded to proper Marshall spec [not factory]):

OD (2203): Maxon OD9Pro+, VOP9, SD9 (mod'ed, see my thread for details), Ibanez TS9 (mod'ed, dido) - all @ 9V

Think 90s High Gaiin, 80s Hair Metal, 2000s Nu-Metal

Crunch (1959): Throbak StrangeMaster Clone, Dallas RangeMaster Clone, Ibanez TS9 - all @ 9V

Think Brown Sound, 90s Rock, 2000s Hard Rock

Clean (my own "super glass" tweek): either Treble Booster clone > Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff - all @ 9V

Think Nuclear Meltdown Fuzz (Soundgarden/STP). Didn't ever imagine my Clean was useable for High Gain tones...until now. Very pleased!

This amp was made for 30W OPERATION. 55% plate dissipation with V5/8 installed ONLY. Requires a resister value change, ofcourse. If anyone does so, it becomes 16 OHM LOAD ONLY !!!

With the V3 Cathode resistor value decreased that stage gets louder, anyways, as it is on mine.

Sitting THREE FEET in front of my 4x12 (UK T75s) with volumes above "2" in normal mode: I get air and thump, good sizzle, good hair, and hardly any ear fatigue. Jammed today twice, one four-hour session and another two-hour. Currently jamming to music over my Topping D30/A30 (modded) stack with Beyerdynamics DT770Pro 80 for two hours now...no ear pain/fatigue/trebble loss.

So glad I still have my TSL-100! Original owner!

:woot:

Latest posts