Be truthful with me

Essexmark

Reaction score
I had one mate, the head and matching 4x10 cab. Bought new in early 90s and sold about 10 years ago as I stopped playing. They did have some issues particularly getting very hot but I really liked it for what I used it for. As others have said does depend on what you paid and I would get a tech to have a look but these are a good step into the brand imho. They are not high gain monsters but if that's your sound play it and enjoy it and upgrade or buy another 1 or 2 down the line.

GeeStrat

Reaction score
……. I brought a jtm60, …. I have had it looked at by Marshall, ….. since buying it I've only heard bad things,.. ….. now considering it's around 25 years old it looks in pretty good shape….. have I made a boo boo?

I’m not really sure what you need to be told…

What did Marshall say? is Marshall an amp tech, neighbour, brother or the Manufacture?
If the Manufacturer, was Marshall responsible for the bad things said about it?
Did Marshall say it is in good shape?

Have you made a boo boo? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Have you?

If it looks good, and Marshall said it is good (??) .. and if you think it sounds good (??) .. then just play it and enjoy… bearing in mind “it may get loud” And hot, so take precautions.

I purchase a secondhand 2009 DSL401 about eleven years ago…. They get some bad things said about them … Gets hot.
Still going strong, still suits my needs..
🤷🏼‍♂️

KidBlast

Reaction score
I don't know anything about amps and without seeking advice I brought a jtm60, I have had it looked at by Marshall, since buying it I've only heard bad things, now considering it's around 25 years old it looks in pretty good shape, ie non of the yellowing or other signs of overheating, it does "buzz" but the buzzing seems to quieten down when I touch my guitar (strings, bridge etc) apart from that it seems to sound great, anyway back to my original point, have I made a boo boo?
I have a JTM60 2x12 combo too, in fact I am the original owner.

This amp has really never given me any grief at all. I still use it, it's still working like it did in May of 1996 when I brought it home.

I've had the tubes changed twice in the time I've had it

I also use the JTM 2x12 ext cab

It's been a work horse. I'm about to hook into to a trio with my son, and this is the rig I plan to use.

Happy to help, so what else can I tell you?

Smokie 54

Reaction score
I don't know anything about amps and without seeking advice I brought a jtm60, I have had it looked at by Marshall, since buying it I've only heard bad things, now considering it's around 25 years old it looks in pretty good shape, ie non of the yellowing or other signs of overheating, it does "buzz" but the buzzing seems to quieten down when I touch my guitar (strings, bridge etc) apart from that it seems to sound great, anyway back to my original point, have I made a boo boo?
It's a transformer that's putting out the heat. Get a small fan and you'll be fine. Doesn't need to be fancy.

jeffb

Reaction score
I bought one when they first came out. It worked great for awhile (a few weeks? a couple months? IDR anymore- it was 30 years ago) then one day it got super hot apparently, fried a bunch of things on the board and started to smoke and smell to high heaven. It was quite the spectacle. The shop was great and gave me store credit towards something else instead of having to deal with Marshall. I think they eventually got it replaced.

It was a good sounding amp though- one of the better diode clippers on the gain channel, and the clean channel cranked was pretty cool.

I'd not buy another- they were notorious for problems, their replacement (600) was also problematic. I've heard some say putting a fan in it, or on and pointed towards cures any issues.

Good luck.

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Hot! Go play a JVM, those things cook your breakfast. I swear if it could put out and open beer it would be the perfect woman.

I can smell the tubes on my SC20 every time I go in the room. Kind of like it.

The heat is natures way of telling you it’s ain’t digital shit!😂

PelliX

Reaction score
The heat is natures way of telling you it’s ain’t digital shit!😂

If I'm not mistaken Marshall introduced active cooling in the solid state models for the output transistors - a novelty they never placed in the valve amps, as far as I know.

geddy

Reaction score
First, :welcome:to the forum.

Sounds to me like the buzzing is caused by your guitar not being properly grounded. That's why the buzzing stops when you touch the strings or bridge - you have become the ground.

As for the amp, if you like the way it sounds is all that matters. I would have a fan installed, or at least a fan blowing from behind it to avoid overheating.
Not likely. You're not a good ground

StrummerJoe

Reaction score

geddy

Reaction score
If the buzzing stops when you touch the strings then that aspect of the ground isn't the problem. It's likely you're the source of the noise. Not really semantics. But I won't labour the point.

Latest posts