B-52 AT-100 Tri Mode Rectifier Explaination...

mountain2012

Reaction score
The AT-100 I own has a tri mode rectifier switch with the options of class A, class A/B, and solid state.

I know what these mean, but when I switch to class A does it change the whole amp to class A or just the rectifier circuit? I assume that changing it to solid state means only the rectifier circuit, but I can't say the same for the two other options.

Then, if it switched the whole amp to class A with the rectifier circuit on, doesn't it not sound that different than solid state with no sag because the tubes are always on with class A?

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) No there ain't no High wattage amps running in True class "A" not even an AC30. They run mostly A/B

There are some mods that can be done to a B-52 to make it sound Very Good. The Best one is to put in a Larger Range trim pot for the Bias and throw in a quad of KT66's They Really wake this amp up.

:):) TWIN

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
that's the weirdest thing i've heard. with a triple rectifier solo (mesa) the rectifier's are as follows: 1 tube rectifier, two tube rectifier and silicon diode rectifier which has nothing to do with class of operation. Are you sure that's what that means? if so it doesn't really have anything to do with rectification.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) They are just labeled that way with some bullshit explanation in the handbook of the three operating modes. Apparently the translation from Chinese wasn't entirely accurate.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
:) They are just labeled that way with some bullshit explanation in the handbook of the three operating modes. Apparently the translation from Chinese wasn't entirely accurate.

ahhhh....okayyyy that makes sense then. that's effed up! Thanks for that clarity. that was irking me.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
:) The three modes are A. Rectifier tube B. SS Rectifier C. SS + Tube rectifiers.

Of the 3 I liked Tube the best. But My understanding is that 1 Tube isn't enough to rectify 100 watts. It is mysterious....

Alowerdeep

Reaction score
I just got one of these and it sounds great.....I dont get all the criticisms about the tone...cleans are great and the OD is so huge,warm and articulate...no fuzz at all....and they are so cheap....sound as good as alot of the high dollar amps Ive owned or played.....I dont know about the build quality,I havent looked at the inside..may get panned alot becasue of the rectifier thing,people thining it is lie a boogie....has the huge lowend like a boogie,but sounds alot different......would be a cool amp to mod.....might do it if I keep it....

Kunnz

Reaction score
I just got one of these and it sounds great.....I dont get all the criticisms about the tone...cleans are great and the OD is so huge,warm and articulate...no fuzz at all....and they are so cheap....sound as good as alot of the high dollar amps Ive owned or played.....I dont know about the build quality,I havent looked at the inside..may get panned alot becasue of the rectifier thing,people thining it is lie a boogie....has the huge lowend like a boogie,but sounds alot different......would be a cool amp to mod.....might do it if I keep it....

That's ok if you like it,

Many of us fall into the subjectivism pit and other people are so patriotic that they are brainwashed into anything made in the Far East is junk, which is pure hypocritical.

In all cases, a cheaper built amplifier will always sound much better than a Mesa Boogie if the user likes it, plus who's to say that Boogies are any good anyhow, personally, I think they all sound like shit.

:)

b52soundsplexi

Reaction score

Many of us fall into the subjectivism pit and other people are so patriotic that they are brainwashed into anything made in the Far East is junk, which is pure hypocritical.

In all cases, a cheaper built amplifier will always sound much better than a Mesa Boogie if the user likes it, plus who's to say that Boogies are any good anyhow, personally, I think they all sound like shit.

B52 are made in the usa

chuckharmonjr

Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou

I absolutely agree.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to put anybody down for playing an amp that sounds good to them. If a pro player does it, he's eclectic. If it's some guy on a forum, he gets flamed. Dude asked a legitimate question and I think he deserves a reasonable answer, not a bunch of cheap shots at the quality of his amp.

I haven't studied the schematic, but it probably switches from fixed bias to cathode bias to solid-state rectifier.

Rootwitch

Reaction score
I'm not going to put anybody down for playing an amp that sounds good to them. If a pro player does it, he's eclectic. If it's some guy on a forum, he gets flamed. Dude asked a legitimate question and I think he deserves a reasonable answer, not a bunch of cheap shots at the quality of his amp.

Well said RiverRatt. I likewise find it unfortunate that [some] people put more credence into the name on the front of their gear, and accumulating stacks of high end gear, rather than focusing on their abilities, and what they're delivering through all this name brand gear.

Stick me in front of a Bösendorfer piano, and I'll make it sound like a $200 piece of crap, because I barely play piano. Hand me a Starcaster, and a Stratocaster, and I'll make them sound very similar.

So, maybe if the B-52 sounds like a turd (which, as a new owner of one since Friday, I don't agree with), it might have less to do with the amp, and more to do with what's being delivered to the amp...

damienbeale

Reaction score
So, maybe if the B-52 sounds like a turd (which, as a new owner of one since Friday, I don't agree with), it might have less to do with the amp, and more to do with what's being delivered to the amp...

But then nobody actually said that, did they.
I found them a bit flat, and particularly dull compared to most other amps. I really wanted to like it, but couldn't.

But it was nowhere near as bad as the Portaflex that my buddy had for all of two days before he could stand it no more.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Well said RiverRatt. I likewise find it unfortunate that [some] people put more credence into the name on the front of their gear, and accumulating stacks of high end gear, rather than focusing on their abilities, and what they're delivering through all this name brand gear.

Stick me in front of a Bösendorfer piano, and I'll make it sound like a $200 piece of crap, because I barely play piano. Hand me a Starcaster, and a Stratocaster, and I'll make them sound very similar.

People have the right to know the truth, that's what forums do, share thoughts, ideas & different point of views.

I took a chance and bought this from a friend. I could have had 2 used DSL's for what I paid for the amp, tubes and all the effects its still only sounded subpar.

The PT ran so hot you could fry your meals on it. The MM OT took out some buzzy-ness and tightened up the low end a tad but at the end of the day it was still a Chinese/bugera type amp and not worth the effort.

If thats all you can afford fine but there are better deals for $600 bucks plus tax.

Would much rather ...

damienbeale

Reaction score
Scroll up to two posts above my original post...
Yup, and it STILL doesn't say that it SOUNDS like a turd!:scratch:

Although, to give some weight to Dan's findings with his, if that Mercury Magnetics badge on the front is any indication, then it's quite possible that the money spent on it went in totally the wrong direction for that amp.

Rootwitch

Reaction score
I don't disagree that the AT-100's Gain 1 channel is on the flat side (and honestly, that's the best description - it's just flat...). There's a lack of "roundness" to the tone - But, I find the same thing to be true in many amps. JTM 45 for one. Some guys love that amp - It just doesn't work for me. Doesn't mean it's a bad amp.

I'm a firm believer that you get out of it what you put into it. And, high end guitars, amps, pedals, etc. don't sound good... unless you have a good player in front of them.

Relative to the AT100 - I just use the clean channel, and use pedals for OD/Dist. Just got a used one for $275, and it takes my pedals great, has a nice EQ curve (had a Twin Reverb RI that I just couldn't find the right EQ curve on with my pedals - Either too shrill or too dull), tone is nice and round, and it's got a really nice natural compression (which the Marshall JTM-30 that I'm replacing, lacked).

I'm sure the components are sub-par, but the majority of reviews I've seen suggest the amps are as reliable as any top shelf name brand amp - Owners reporting that they haven't had problems in 5+ years with them.

To each their own...