As I profile my Marshall Collection I realize

Goober23

Reaction score
I am here profiling my several Marshall amps with my new TONEX profiling software.
I so far have profiled several settings each with the profile accuracy set to advanced.
The amps so far are:
DSL40c
'78 JMP2203
JTM 60
JVM 205
Studio Vintage-20
Origin-20.

As I do this and listen to the stunningly accurate profiles I realize that Marshall makes a lot of excellent amps.
They all have that sweet Marshall tone we all love with subtle in character. Some subtle, some pronounced.
We can all have our reliability issues but when they are working they are all dripping with beautiful tone.

Neptical

Reaction score
True story.🤟

So much variety for great Marshall tones. This is exactly why it's hard to have one or two shades. I enjoy it all from Plexi to JCM (new/old) to SS to Origin.

Once you have your foundational tone set, it's a joy to hear how different each amp responds to your playing. To me, there is no best - it's the player that makes it the best.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I am here profiling my several Marshall amps with my new TONEX profiling software.
I so far have profiled several settings each with the profile accuracy set to advanced.
The amps so far are:
DSL40c
'78 JMP2203
JTM 60
JVM 205
Studio Vintage-20
Origin-20.

As I do this and listen to the stunningly accurate profiles I realize that Marshall makes a lot of excellent amps.
They all have that sweet Marshall tone we all love with subtle in character. Some subtle, some pronounced.
We can all have our reliability issues but when they are working they are all dripping with beautiful tone.
All brands of amps have some reliability issues, but only a couple have the tones I crave. Marshall is one of them!

dro

Reaction score
You can and it'll be SPOT on when you do believe me.
That's fine. For you. But spot on how?
Spot on for me, is standing in the same room with the amp. Feeling the air movement. And the vibrations of the volume level.
Feeling the reactions of the relationship of the speakers to the pickups. And this guitar, will react differently than that guitar.
Holding the guitar in this manner may produce some feedback. And in another position may not.
Air temperature, humidity, room size, audience size. Or, maybe outside.
The variables can go on and on.
Show me a profile that can handle all these, (and more) infante little details, all at the same time.
Meanwhile, I'll just flip the switch, and play.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see the result plugging your Tonex to your tube amp. Will the profiled Marshall sound better through a Fender Twin, or through a Marshall SV20? Or in other word, can you turn your Marshall SV20 amp into a Marshall AFD1OO, or into Marshall VintageModern?

Goober23

Reaction score
My most common use of any of my amps is to use it with the speaker cab in an isolated location
Where I can only hear what comes out of my studio monitors. I am rarely "in the room" with a cranked tube amp.
I have a seperated area in my studio where my cabs are and I can have my 2203 fully cranked and not hear a thing unless
it comes through the tracking room monitors. And yes when I profile that setup what I hear back and using the profile is "spot on".
It's all good. For me though the days of ear pain and the hours of dull hearing after a session are over. I did that for years and am glad to be done with it.

Latest posts