Are there any good solid state heads for gigging?

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any solid state amp heads that would be good for gigging? I have always used tube heads but as I get older ( I'll be 61 on Saturday) I just don't want to be lugging around heavy gear. I still want to use a head and cab so not interested in combo amps. I have two 2x12 cabs (jet city cabs) that I would use with a head. I don't think I have ever heard anyone use a solid state amp at any shows either local bands or pro bands. So guys, are there any solid state heads worth buying? BTW, I play melodic metal so I need a good crunch for rhythm and a good lead channel that will cut through the mix.
Ty Tabor of Kings X has always used solid-state amps. He’s been using orange gear for quite a while now. Check out this vid:

Reactions: LCW
Reaction score
Hiwatt Crunch 150 head is a good pedal platform.
I acquire recently a Hiwatt Crunch 50 combo. Indeed, they take pedals like a charm. And their clean channel is in my opinion the very best tranny clean I have ever heard. A plus: they look like the old beast and as solid. They aren't light at all.

The heads are a bargain at the price they sell. And if power and LOUD is your thing, the most powerful one unleashes... 350W:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Old thread.

Quilter, Randall, or Orange imo, if it even matters anymore.

There are also some good lunchbox amps out there...so they say. You might want to check out some of those.

...and no, 15 watts is NOT, nor has ever been nearly enough to gig with ime. 40 Marshall tube watts barely cuts it. C'mon folks!

Cheers!

Latest posts