Are there any good solid state heads for gigging?

jmp45

Reaction score
I picked up an 8100 a couple years ago cheap and would gig with it with no regrets.

8100f.jpg

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
if i were in his shoes i would be looking at all the pedal size amps out there.
so many damn good ones now to achieve what hes looking for that fits right
on your board, in your pocket, the wifes purse, your purse, lol
and loud as hell too.
My purse , my wife’s purse ? Is that where your Bally are kept ? Lol

TheToneDig

Reaction score

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
The thing I forgot to mention about the 15W LBX is that it is not really for cleans. However, you don't exactly buy an amp like this for the cleans. The 50W is very heavy and also wide than most people may think until you from above.
The one I posted has a smaller board , 35 lbs is not bad. I am 61 and I have had some heavy amps like the JCM 900 dual 2 x 12 combo.
I just did a physical ability test and 65’lbs above my shoulders. 35 I could do all day.

TheToneDig

Reaction score
The one I posted has a smaller board , 35 lbs is not bad. I am 61 and I have had some heavy amps like the JCM 900 dual 2 x 12 combo.
I just did a physical ability test and 65’lbs above my shoulders. 35 I could do all day.

Everyone should get an Arnold Schwarzenegger if they get a 2x12 combo. Should be included in the purchase, IMO. 65lbs! You could carry around a whole Roland Jazz Chorus 120 and wouldn't need the coaster wheels. Do you throw pool tables out the bar window when you get cross by any chance? :pops::scream:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Everyone should get an Arnold Schwarzenegger if they get a 2x12 combo. Should be included in the purchase, IMO. 65lbs! You could carry around a whole Roland Jazz Chorus 120 and wouldn't need the coaster wheels. Do you throw pool tables out the bar window when you get cross by any chance? :pops::scream:
I wish , I’m not the “Rock”

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any solid state amp heads that would be good for gigging? I have always used tube heads but as I get older ( I'll be 61 on Saturday) I just don't want to be lugging around heavy gear. I still want to use a head and cab so not interested in combo amps. I have two 2x12 cabs (jet city cabs) that I would use with a head. I don't think I have ever heard anyone use a solid state amp at any shows either local bands or pro bands. So guys, are there any solid state heads worth buying? BTW, I play melodic metal so I need a good crunch for rhythm and a good lead channel that will cut through the mix.

MG100DFX, CR120H, come to mind. An amp I havent played but saw a good demo was BluGuitar, it looks really good! You can also take any small tube amp and plug it into a re-amper like the Bad Cat Unleash to make it 100 watts. :yesway:

Last edited:

Andy Wiggins

Reaction score
I can highly recommend the boss Katana 100 head, light, powerful and sounds incredible, I still use my JVM and an EVH 5150 occasionally but for versatility and convenience I cannot fault the Katana!
I have the mark 1 head but the mark 2 is even more versatile!

ampeq

Reaction score
For a pedal amp I would try one of these,
I don't know what years / version it emulates but I love my 1989 X100b combo. The series 4 X100's are pretty good as well and I think this might be similar. Both of mine have the best cleans of any amp I have ever used. They also have active tone controls, (boost / cut) and one of the best EQ's ever. No shortage of tones to say the least. I could easily get by with just one of these and my HX Effects on a pedal board, talk about traveling light.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I struggle with that question.
S.S. are only good for part of the tones. They fall week on single note melodies.
Nice 100 watt Valvestate shown there.

How about a Marshall head that covers a lot and is not too big to carry.
Marshall Haze head
Vox Night Train head

Orange has a couple good ones. Orange Terrer.
Juicy Amps are also small in size but large in sound.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have a Taurus SH3 HG pedal amp. 60 watts, loud, 2 channel with a solo boost. High gain. Fx loop. I mainly use it as a backup cause of the size but have giggied it once in a small venue with a 1x12 on the 7.5 watt setting.
Katana is a good little SS amp.
Mini tube heads can be light but pricey. Mesa Mark V 25 head for tiny. Kinda $$ though.

taurus-stomp-head-3-hg-266181.jpg

29da5ab.jpg

Latest posts