Are there any good solid state heads for gigging?

chromeboy

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any solid state amp heads that would be good for gigging? I have always used tube heads but as I get older ( I'll be 61 on Saturday) I just don't want to be lugging around heavy gear. I still want to use a head and cab so not interested in combo amps. I have two 2x12 cabs (jet city cabs) that I would use with a head. I don't think I have ever heard anyone use a solid state amp at any shows either local bands or pro bands. So guys, are there any solid state heads worth buying? BTW, I play melodic metal so I need a good crunch for rhythm and a good lead channel that will cut through the mix.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Orange cr120 looks the obvious choice out there , although I can’t claim to have tried one .

TheToneDig

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any solid state amp heads that would be good for gigging? I have always used tube heads but as I get older ( I'll be 61 on Saturday) I just don't want to be lugging around heavy gear. I still want to use a head and cab so not interested in combo amps. I have two 2x12 cabs (jet city cabs) that I would use with a head. I don't think I have ever heard anyone use a solid state amp at any shows either local bands or pro bands. So guys, are there any solid state heads worth buying? BTW, I play melodic metal so I need a good crunch for rhythm and a good lead channel that will cut through the mix.

Solid-state heads can be just as heavy as tube amps. Digital amps are lighter such as the Kemper or Helix.

Maybe just downgrade your wattage to more manageable sizes? High gain lunchbox amps at 15W can still be loud enough to gig with unless you are playing in very large venues and have a drummer who is absolutely killing it.

Something like an EVH 5150III 15W LBXII can be seriously loud enough to gig with. However you need to know that IS the tone you want.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Solid-state heads can be just as heavy as tube amps. Digital amps are lighter such as the Kemper or Helix.

Maybe just downgrade your wattage to more manageable sizes? High gain lunchbox amps at 15W can still be loud enough to gig with unless you are playing in very large venues and have a drummer who is absolutely killing it.

Something like an EVH 5150III 15W LBXII can be seriously loud enough to gig with. However you need to know that IS the tone you want.

I’ve got an EVH lbx ii as well, and it’s definitely loud enough , light enough and killer sounding enough . So ultimately I see no need to go solid state really either , certainly not for portability reasons .

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Boss Katana MK2 100 watt head, is pretty loud on a 412.
Gets pretty close to certain tones too. A few of your fave pedals , and a tube screamer on the clean channel can get you close. Downladable patches and global eq for tweaks. The clean channel sounds quite loud and clean.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
It’s solid state. Not analog solid state, but solid state nonetheless.
Ok , but I’m pretty sure the op is not talking modelling. It’s hard to tell for sure since he hasn’t chimed in since the op , lol .

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Helix, Fractal or Kemper with a SS power amp (Seymour Duncan Power Stage, Orange Pedal Baby, etc.) and your cabs. Loads of quality amp models and effects, and your still moving air on stage.

if we are going this way we can also go with pedal amps.
several out there these days that just sound killer.
guitar, pedal board, DONE.

chromeboy

Reaction score
Kemper and the such are way to pricey for me especially if I am just playing a club gig here and there. I currently own two jet city heads, a 100hdm and a 50h. Both are heavy, not back breaking but heavy non the less. I have two jet city 24s+ 2x12cabs that use with them. I just if I could find a decent ss amp that sounded good I might give it a try. Not looking for modeling amps. Don't have the patients to go through programs o ly to replicate what I already have on my pedalboard. Sorry, just old school here as well as, well getting old myself.
Also, not looking to spend a lot of money so the more expensive stuff is out. I mean if I had my own recording studio then the kempers and such would probably be the way to go. For playing a club gig here and there for the lousy pay most clubs pay, I'm not willing to spend tons of money on new gear.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

I carry mine in a shoulder bag but the 50w weighs 35lbs. and it’s a ball breaker power wise.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/51506L6HIv--evh-5150-iii-50-watt-tube-head-ivory

Latest posts