Archeological Marshall aficionados

J Marshall Hendrix

Reaction score
Around 1973 I bought a marshall head and one angle cabinet from a guitar player in a band from New York passing through Akron. I later picked up a full Marshall stack from a U.S. Navy serviceman that purchased it in England. The first amp had problems with hot plating. The second head was stolen from me. So in the early 80s I completely bread boarded the first amp. But as a nervous novice I did not have the knowledge to appreciate some of the finer points. So now I'm redoing it and have snagged a lot of vintage components like mustard caps and ohm and power selectors from British eBay etc. So my trouble is that I pulled the aluminum face plates and painted the chassis so I have no serial number nor can I find the Xfmr stamp. So obviously it's not a Plexi but I am thinking from the hundreds of pics component side and undercarriage that it may be a '70. It did not have a master volume. It has a hardwired power cord and square pilot light. It has the little straw sombreros on the el34s. Also the twin .22 mfd caps (c12 and c14?) are the half blue half white molded plastic. Any guesses?

J Marshall Hendrix

Reaction score
Picsart_22-09-11_17-23-56-875.jpg Picsart_22-09-11_17-23-56-875.jpg
Around 1973 I bought a marshall head and one angle cabinet from a guitar player in a band from New York passing through Akron. I later picked up a full Marshall stack from a U.S. Navy serviceman that purchased it in England. The first amp had problems with hot plating. The second head was stolen from me. So in the early 80s I completely bread boarded the first amp. But as a nervous novice I did not have the knowledge to appreciate some of the finer points. So now I'm redoing it and have snagged a lot of vintage components like mustard caps and ohm and power selectors from British eBay etc. So my trouble is that I pulled the aluminum face plates and painted the chassis so I have no serial number nor can I find the Xfmr stamp. So obviously it's not a Plexi but I am thinking from the hundreds of pics component side and undercarriage that it may be a '70. It did not have a master volume. It has a hardwired power cord and square pilot light. It has the little straw sombreros on the el34s. Also the twin .22 mfd caps (c12 and c14?) are the half blue half white molded plastic. Any guesses?
This is close to what was the original.

playloud

Reaction score
Maroon, partially-perforated boards suggest '69/'70 to me. Photos are too blurry to tell definitively, but cloth colored wires on the impedance selector would suggest C1998 OT, which would suggest pre-'71 too.

Date codes on the capacitors/pots should help narrow this down further.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Looks like '69/70 to me, too. Maybe early '71. Note the circular steel plate covering the fourth preamp socket space, which would be used in a tremolo amp, and the punch-out next to the speaker jacks which would be for the DIN socket for the tremolo footswitch.

That chassis style with the extra punches was discontinued in 1971 based on reference photos found at the amparchives site, and also in '71 the circuit board was usually yellow/off-white, not red-brown.

Starting in 1973 Marshall also started stamping the serial number into the top of the chassis itself, near the front edge close to the input jacks. I THINK that started in 1973, I've never seen it stamped there on any chassis before 1973.

TAZIN

Reaction score
More than likely a 1970. The 0.22uF/1000v snubber caps start to show up during September 1969 but they tend to be gray in color vs blue & white. If the turret board color is red-brown then there's a good chance it was from the first half of 1970 whereas the second half of the year tends to use the darker brown color boards.

neikeel

Reaction score
Is that the amp in question?
The board in the pics looks to be a hybrid. Preamp is PA spec (shared cathode, no mixer bypass cap, the output couplers are lead spec 0.022uF
Whers is pic from?

Latest posts