Anyone get Amp sims to sound as close to Marshall as possible?

saxon68

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok now we are talking a Marshall man here, im in the EU and whenever in the UK n Germany i see many Marshall sold at great prices.
everything suggested here works with any marshall from 1w to 100w, plexi/dsl/studio series 20/40w.

my tests to get the high gain always includes a asymmetrical clipping over drive such as Boss DS-1, very few pedals are made this way, roughly a handful., the symmetrical clipping pedals are great for none marshall amps and especially single coiled guitars.

the reason you or any marshall user will want an asymmetrical clipping pedal is because they boost all frequencies at once as to only scooping the mids (optional low or high mids but not both) like (tube screamer, ts808 etc) symmetrical clipping pedals do…which means that You will need to tweak your head/amp’s treble bass etc and once you shut your symmetrical clipping pedal off your amp will sound completely different., Which explains why a lot of heavy metal players add an EQ after a tube screamer etc to help boost whatever frequencies they want to hear before the head..but do correct me if im wrong on this subject of boosting marshall tones.

Players like Kerry King use EQ as a boost But in order to get the classic crunch to grind and sparkle do you need an Asymmetric clipping overdrive pedal like the Boss DS -1, it is like as if it becomes part of the amp and if you want to add another channel to a Marshall (example a plexi 50w) them a preamp pedal like a Friedman BE OD or a super cheaper clone of it like the JOYO UZI 03 works very well with any marshall (plexi) and even 2203/2204/2550 if you want more channels like a super high gain JVM 410h.., all these methods before the amps get the same results, punch, gain And most of all the sweet spot while keeping the amps Character (plexi-jcm-jvm-etc)

as for cabs i prefer the closed slanted 4x12 with greenbacks, they help pump air from the amp tightly., i have this but im thinking of combining creambacks., but modulers?

as for modulars i found out that tif you plug into a ds-1, then use a AMP1 with the classic marshall jcm800 setting by passing everything else internally (drive, cabs etc) you cant tell it apart from a resl one in a blind test!

in-addition to the amp1 try this as live rig:
-Guitar
-sd-1
-preamp pedal (optional) 2nd channel drive
-amp1 (by passing everything internally)

cab or direct
-to cabs mic’d to live house board or
-blubox pedal to live house board or
-iconclast pedal by neunaber (creats neg feedback like real amp/cabs) to live house board
-ir loader you use then to live house board

As for my sim tests here my new tests are night and day since last week.
i can get the same results as my jcm800 and or the amp1 or by just plugging my les paul into an
-audio interface,
-then in my daw i have a channel strip with
_compressor
_Overdrive: the plug-in alliance yellowed pedal (its a assymetrical clipping clone of the ds-1)
_Marshall based Sim with cabs bypassed, (softube-neural dsp-nimbrini audi—TH-U etc)
_Then a IR loader plug with a 4 x 12 celestion green back cab setting closed and open.

the main tones iam discussing here are based on a jcm800 2203 straight classic ac-dc crunch with guitar vol control to high gain overdrive using a ds-1
Amp1 speaker out has no cab sims. Only the headphone/direct out does.

I extensively A/B’d with the 4x12 and shockingly, I prefer the Amp1 to the JVM, it doesn’t feel like I am “settling” at all.

I haven’t recorded with it, just live playing.

Reaction score
Amp1 speaker out has no cab sims. Only the headphone/direct out does.

I extensively A/B’d with the 4x12 and shockingly, I prefer the Amp1 to the JVM, it doesn’t feel like I am “settling” at all.

I haven’t recorded with it, just live playing.
I know exactly what you mean, i stated the output options,

i havent compared amp1 to helix-fractal etc, only with actual jcm800 2203, amazing is all i can say.

Latest posts