Any Pics of your Jam Space?

lespaul339

Reaction score
we are excited to see pics now.

Ahhhhhh ...interim pics are essential! :yesway:

:shred2:

Here's some pics of my basement studio I'm working on. I know it's been a while, but better late than never, right?!

Been busy working on it nights and weekends so I don't have a lot of free time, but it's finally coming along! I'm also in the middle of a room remodel upstairs, so I'm switching back and forth between rooms.

You can see a little bit of how the room was before I started working on it. I didn't take pics until I half of the old Waynes coating torn off, but you get the idea of what I started with. The room was a 12x13 room. I extended it and made it a 13x17.5 room. So it's not super big, but will be just big enough for a nice little home recording studio. Also, please don't judge how messy the basement is, it's normally very organized. The room I am redoing was used as a storage room, so everything just got moved out and out of the way for now until I can get my studio done and get the basement reorganized.

I started off by patching up the mortar on the block. It wasn't bad, but I wanted to make sure everything was sealed good. Then, I used Ames basement sealer on the block. They recommended at least two coats, I did four. It's water tight now! Once the walls were sealed, I put up 1" thick foam agains the block walls. Studded the foam tight against the walls, and then insulated after that. That should prevent the block from sweating since there is no way for hot and cold air to meet. The sheetrock is 1" off of the floor to prevent any moisture issues. Trim will hide the gap when I'm done.

I also put 1" foam up in the ceilings before I insulated, and then double sheet rocked the ceiling to help sound proof a little more. I'm also double sheet rocking the outside of the room for more sound proofing. It won't be 100% sound proof, but it should help a lot. I also put in a shit ton of outlets so I have options on how to lay out my studio. People think I went overboard, but if I have learned anything from other recording studios I've been in, it's that they never have enough outlets!

Finally, I have started mudding the room. I have everything second coated so far. Getting close, but still a lot of work left to do!

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Here's some pics of my basement studio I'm working on. I know it's been a while, but better late than never, right?!

Been busy working on it nights and weekends so I don't have a lot of free time, but it's finally coming along! I'm also in the middle of a room remodel upstairs, so I'm switching back and forth between rooms.

You can see a little bit of how the room was before I started working on it. I didn't take pics until I half of the old Waynes coating torn off, but you get the idea of what I started with. The room was a 12x13 room. I extended it and made it a 13x17.5 room. So it's not super big, but will be just big enough for a nice little home recording studio. Also, please don't judge how messy the basement is, it's normally very organized. The room I am redoing was used as a storage room, so everything just got moved out and out of the way for now until I can get my studio done and get the basement reorganized.

I started off by patching up the mortar on the block. It wasn't bad, but I wanted to make sure everything was sealed good. Then, I used Ames basement sealer on the block. They recommended at least two coats, I did four. It's water tight now! Once the walls were sealed, I put up 1" thick foam agains the block walls. Studded the foam tight against the walls, and then insulated after that. That should prevent the block from sweating since there is no way for hot and cold air to meet. The sheetrock is 1" off of the floor to prevent any moisture issues. Trim will hide the gap when I'm done.

I also put 1" foam up in the ceilings before I insulated, and then double sheet rocked the ceiling to help sound proof a little more. I'm also double sheet rocking the outside of the room for more sound proofing. It won't be 100% sound proof, but it should help a lot. I also put in a shit ton of outlets so I have options on how to lay out my studio. People think I went overboard, but if I have learned anything from other recording studios I've been in, it's that they never have enough outlets!

Finally, I have started mudding the room. I have everything second coated so far. Getting close, but still a lot of work left to do!

Holy Cape Canaveral. Looks like you been busy! (and will continue to be.) That's extremely cool. I suppose it wouldn't impress you to let you know my only sound treatment is a foam microphone dome thingy. :)

Thanks for the awesome story too with the details and stuff. That will be a sweet studio space. I never got around to doing anything like that myself for some reason or another. May ambition is part of it. Kudos to you. Now you need to update this with pictures and dialog so we can see the progress. Will be a fun one to watch and see when it's complete.

Thanks for that awesome post and for taking the time for all the sweet pics.

:yesway::dude:

lespaul339

Reaction score
Holy Cape Canaveral. Looks like you been busy! (and will continue to be.) That's extremely cool. I suppose it wouldn't impress you to let you know my only sound treatment is a foam microphone dome thingy. :)

Thanks for the awesome story too with the details and stuff. That will be a sweet studio space. I never got around to doing anything like that myself for some reason or another. May ambition is part of it. Kudos to you. Now you need to update this with pictures and dialog so we can see the progress. Will be a fun one to watch and see when it's complete.

Thanks for that awesome post and for taking the time for all the sweet pics.

:yesway::dude:

Thanks! Yes, still a lot of work to be done. Even when I get the studio done, I still have to finish up getting the rest of the basement walls sealed. The plan is to eventually finish the rest of the basement as well. But of course my studio gets done first! I'll definitely do a better job from here on out with update pics! I'm excited to get this finished up so I can start recording again!

And you're right, it's hard to keep up the ambition with a big project. I'm getting pretty worn out at this point. I fell like all I do is work because I get off work and I work on this. Plus, I ended up injuring my back and shoulder, so I had to take a couple weeks off from working on this. Between that and the holidays, it kind of got in the way of getting this done. I was hoping to have it done by now.

Nothing wrong with what you use to record with. The only reason I'm even trying to sound proof is so my neighbors and girlfriend don't bitch about how loud I am! I do plan on making pro acoustic panels after I get the room done. I'm not going to completely go nuts with them as I want some wall space to decorate and hang stuff up, but it will still be enough to acoustically treat the room a little bit too! It's going to be the most legit recording space I've ever had!

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, still a lot of work to be done. Even when I get the studio done, I still have to finish up getting the rest of the basement walls sealed. The plan is to eventually finish the rest of the basement as well. But of course my studio gets done first! I'll definitely do a better job from here on out with update pics! I'm excited to get this finished up so I can start recording again!

And you're right, it's hard to keep up the ambition with a big project. I'm getting pretty worn out at this point. I fell like all I do is work because I get off work and I work on this. Plus, I ended up injuring my back and shoulder, so I had to take a couple weeks off from working on this. Between that and the holidays, it kind of got in the way of getting this done. I was hoping to have it done by now.

Nothing wrong with what you use to record with. The only reason I'm even trying to sound proof is so my neighbors and girlfriend don't bitch about how loud I am! I do plan on making pro acoustic panels after I get the room done. I'm not going to completely go nuts with them as I want some wall space to decorate and hang stuff up, but it will still be enough to acoustically treat the room a little bit too! It's going to be the most legit recording space I've ever had!

Keep it going, bro! Don't quit now. That's gonna be of the manley ..ist of man caves! :flex:

:metal::metal::metal::metal::woot::metal::metal::metal::metal:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Good stuff, but why did you leave
the window? Oxygen alright, but the
noise will fly right through?

Last edited:

lespaul339

Reaction score
Good stuff, but why did you leave
the window? Oxygen alright, but the
noise will fly right through?

For safety reasons. I left it so I had an escape in case of a fire or something. It's just big enough for me to squeeze through if I have to. I just don't feel safe completely boxing myself in a room with the only way out being just the door. Plus, I do like the natural light it lets in.

If noise is an issue I will make an acoustic panel that I can hang over the window for late night recording sessions. The window well is also pretty deep, and I can also make an insulated pad to throw in the well along with the acoustic panel. The window is a thick double pane and actually doesn't let all that much sound in too, so I'm hoping it doesn't let that much sound out. We'll see.

Last edited:

dptone5

Reaction score
Here is my corner of the basement.

puFfx9t.jpg

lespaul339

Reaction score
That is going to be nice. My basement is small but it could work. Problem is the depth is shallow which means lots of digging , about 18” and cement.

Thanks! I never planned on doing a basement studio, but I ran out of space in my old jam room upstairs, so it was time for an upgrade. Plus, my girlfriend needed a space too. She gets the old jam room upstairs, and I get my new studio downstairs! I'm currently working on both rooms, but both are getting close!

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of work on your part! Digging that out would suck!

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Some of these jam spaces have a bigger footprint than my whole 3 bed semi detached house 😱

Very small but does me fine. Wooden lean too on side of the property.

My little corner and a pic from further back as it’s also where the washing is done but that’s covered with a roller blind normally. Also how it was when we bought the house 10 years ago. Best investment I ever got even tho I sold a fair few great guitars for a deposit. £150k up so far in equity

Last edited:

lespaul339

Reaction score
Basement studio is coming along. All mudded and textured. Now just have to paint it, get lighting installed, lay flooring, get doors installed, and get trim put on.

1645733912797.png
1645733934228.png
1645733957785.png
1645733983612.png
1645734014549.png

Close up of what the texture job looks like in person

1645734210336.png

These are the lights I went with. I like the pipe industrial look of them. I think they'll look cool for a studio. They also came with those old style looking bulbs.
1645734437169.png

1645734455852.png

speyfly

Reaction score
Basement studio is coming along. All mudded and textured. Now just have to paint it, get lighting installed, lay flooring, get doors installed, and get trim put on.

View attachment 102895
View attachment 102896
View attachment 102897
View attachment 102898
View attachment 102899

Close up of what the texture job looks like in person

View attachment 102900

These are the lights I went with. I like the pipe industrial look of them. I think they'll look cool for a studio. They also came with those old style looking bulbs.
View attachment 102901

View attachment 102902

I can only imagine!