Any Advice on Running a Second Cab from a DSL-40CR for Stereo Effects?

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Good afternoon fellow gearheads!

First time poster, so apologies if this has already been asked...

Does anyone have experience running a second cabinet with a 1x12 speaker of impedance matched to the one in the DSL-40CR for purposes of getting the most out of stereo effects, such as chorus? I would rather not lug around another DSL-40. I do realize that this would cut the power in half and that both speakers would have to be run at 8 ohms rather than 16 but this should not be an issue.

The DSL is a great amplifier and I am NOT looking to add a second cabinet for the usual reasons posted in similar threads, for example to match impedance with a 2x12 or a 4x12.

Thanks!

Cal

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have experience running a second cabinet with a 1x12 speaker of impedance matched to the one in the DSL-40CR for purposes of getting the most out of stereo effects, such as chorus? I would rather not lug around another DSL-40. I do realize that this would cut the power in half and that both speakers would have to be run at 8 ohms rather than 16 but this should not be an issue.

The DSL is a great amplifier and I am NOT looking to add a second cabinet for the usual reasons posted in similar threads, for example to match impedance with a 2x12 or a 4x12.

Thanks!

Cal
:welcome:to the forum.
An extension cab is not going to give you stereo from a stereo pedal.
You'd need a second amp.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score

Thanks!

Cal

FIRST: :welcome: to the forum!

NEXT: The DSL40CR has no stereo capability, for the speaker or elsewise. Adding a speaker/cab will not cut the power in half and will likely be a tiny bit louder than the single combo speaker alone, but probably bigger and more full sounding, IN MONO!
Again Welcomin'
Gene

Cooltouch

Reaction score
I have a DSL40cr also and I've also been thinking about adding another 12" to my setup. Marshall makes a cute little 12" cab that looks like it would be ideal for this. Well, Gene posted his reply as I was writing this, and he answered my question. Namely, I was wondering why adding a speaker would result in cutting the volume in half. It didn't make sense to me. The amp's still running at 16 ohms, just 8 per speaker. Now, if you went the other way, say 8 ohms to 16 ohms, then you would lose approximately half your sound output. So, I'm glad to read that my intuition was correct. He's also right --- and I'm basing this on my experience -- that adding another 12" would give you a fuller sound.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz and Gene are correct.

Don't they make attenuators with a built in loop? Is it possible to get stereo effects through that with an added cab?
Thanks.
Yes - I have a Bad Cat with a loop
No - Two speaker outputs, but still mono from the amp, mono loop, and speaker level signal out to the speakers.
Stereo needs two amps.

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I have a DSL40cr also and I've also been thinking about adding another 12" to my setup. Marshall makes a cute little 12" cab that looks like it would be ideal for this. Well, Gene posted his reply as I was writing this, and he answered my question. Namely, I was wondering why adding a speaker would result in cutting the volume in half. It didn't make sense to me. The amp's still running at 16 ohms, just 8 per speaker. Now, if you went the other way, say 8 ohms to 16 ohms, then you would lose approximately half your sound output. So, I'm glad to read that my intuition was correct. He's also right --- and I'm basing this on my experience -- that adding another 12" would give you a fuller sound.

You have some very inaccurate misconceptions about speaker impedance. I don't have the time for an instructional diatribe, but you need to do a bit of research and studying. For now, two 16 ohm cabinets/speakers (in parallel) provide an 8 ohm load that needs to come from the 8 ohm tap of the amp!

Just Speakerin'
Gene

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
FIRST: :welcome: to the forum!

NEXT: The DSL40CR has no stereo capability, for the speaker or elsewise. Adding a speaker/cab will not cut the power in half and will likely be a tiny bit louder than the single combo speaker alone, but probably bigger and more full sounding, IN MONO!
Again Welcomin'
Gene
Hi Gene,

Thanks so much! Excited to be here.

So it sounds like adding an extra cab would basically make it dual mono speakers. And running a stereo chorus wouldn't do squat (technical term there) because both speakers would be getting the same output signal. Got it.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Cal

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the clarifying my original question and for correcting my misapprehension regarding the power cut. Of course 8 x 2 = 16, just as 16 x 1 = 16, except in my oddly wired brain where 2 + 2 = 5 for large values of 2.

;^)

But yeah, it's the same power, just divided two ways. Still an intriguing idea, though, because even if the output is dual mono, my guess (and other threaders, please correct me if this is wrong) is that an audience listening to two speakers separated by some significant distance would actually hear them in stereo, not because the signal is in stereo, but because our brains process signals coming from different points as if they were in stereo. But the other posters are correct when they say that stereo effects would not work in stereo the way they would for two amps, such as signal bouncing, cross-fades, etc.

Thanks!

Cal

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the clarifying my original question and for correcting my misapprehension regarding the power cut. Of course 8 x 2 = 16, just as 16 x 1 = 16, except in my oddly wired brain where 2 + 2 = 5 for large values of 2.

;^)

But yeah, it's the same power, just divided two ways. Still an intriguing idea, though, because even if the output is dual mono, my guess (and other threaders, please correct me if this is wrong) is that an audience listening to two speakers separated by some significant distance would actually hear them in stereo, not because the signal is in stereo, but because our brains process signals coming from different points as if they were in stereo. But the other posters are correct when they say that stereo effects would not work in stereo the way they would for two amps, such as signal bouncing, cross-fades, etc.

Thanks!

Cal
Oops! Meant hi Cooltouch...

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
You have some very inaccurate misconceptions about speaker impedance. I don't have the time for an instructional diatribe, but you need to do a bit of research and studying. For now, two 16 ohm cabinets/speakers (in parallel) provide an 8 ohm load that needs to come from the 8 ohm tap of the amp!

Just Speakerin'
Gene
I seem to recall that the physics of sound was my poorest subject...

:^D

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

Thanks!

Cal
Many thanks to everyone for their great replies! Really appreciate the input.

:^)

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@Cal Nevari
:welcome:
To The Forum
The way I have been playing both of my Dsl40c’s, is with a pedal that has 2 outs, so I am still in mono,, I have two MG cabs under them.. I am using one of them to put delay an chorus in the loop, you will hear a vast improvement on spreading another cab, but as already answered (not in stereo) have fun and experiment,, just make sure you use a speaker cable for your second cab..

Cheers
Mitch

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

Thanks!

Cal
They would hear it wider, certainly, if standing in pretty much exactly the right spot. But still not really like stereo.

JohnH

Reaction score
Yes to all the above.

Id like to add, that an open-back combo such as yours can sound much more awesome with an added closed-back cab. I have a DSL401 which is an ancestor of your DSL40, also 40W 1x12. I have it on top of a 1x12 cab that I made for it. It really thickens up the sound and adds more wallop to it! Its still mono, but its a good addition. Its also a 16 Ohm cab, like the internal, so together they amount to an 8 Ohm load and each go into the pair of sockets set to 8 ohm.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
For stereo you must have two amplifiers and two speakers and one device that turns your mono guitar signal into a stereo signal. Full stop.

The amps and speakers should be similar to each other. Identical is best. Particularly for the speakers.