Another Frusciante tone/amp thread

Dbunch9

Reaction score
I’m not ready to buy an amp so I’m not sure why I’m worried about it (I have too much time right now lol), but I’m a big frusciante fan and I play a lot of frusciante and Hendrix. So for awhile now I listen to live shows and clips of him in the studio playing and I know he ran a jubilee/major setup for like 3 straight album tours and then now he has the JMP 2203/Major setup. One thing I have to say is, shows with the jubilee and shows with the JMP really don’t sound all that different… and it seems like when I watch videos of all these different JTMs, JMPs, Plexis, jubilees, etc people have on YouTube they all have the same general Marshall tone and each amp has its own little minor/hard to notice differences in tone like brightness, less or more headroom and what not… but for the most part it seems like a Marshall is just a Marshall. Does it really matter at the end of the day if I get a Jubilee, JMP or 100w major for frusciantes tone? Is his tone 90% the major and that’s why I feel his tone hasn’t changed much with the JMP over the Jubilee? Or do they all really sound that much different from one another and I’m just stuck going by videos on the internet?

Listogast

Reaction score
He plays with a cleaner tone, so the nuances won't be as noticeable compared to more overdriven tones. But in general the Marshall voicing is what's key with his sound. I've heard people get close to his tone with pretty much any Marshall. I get pretty close with my DSL40. Another thing is the way he sets up his amps, he cranks them and pushes the gain up enough to where he gets right on the edge of breakup and that gives his tone a tone of compression and punch.
Another huge aspect of his tone is his BOSS CE-1 chorus pedal which has it's own preamp that adds a unique gain structure and compresses his tone more as well. So yeah I'm pretty convinced that you can get his tone without having to get his exact amps.

Dbunch9

Reaction score
I was playing around with my positive grid and ce-1 pre amp clone last night after I made this post and with the Hendrix 100w plexi I had the EXACT tone I hear from frusciantes jmp 2203 live videos I see… and it sounds almost exactly like the old jubilee live shows lol sounds like I’ve been way too worried about what amp I want the last year 😂

3ivan7

Reaction score
Marshall SuperBass100w, ce1 , EHX mycrosynth are nice combination for 99 era sound

Latest posts