Amp Tech To Mod Origin

SonOfMI

Reaction score
I’m thinking of getting an Origin head and having the Headfirst 1987 mod done to it. I’ll work on my guitars, but don’t feel comfy getting into an amp. I’d prefer a tech in the Atlanta GA area. Any recommendations? If you don’t know an ATL tech then who in the continental US?

SonOfMI

Reaction score
I can get an amp I like the sound of by dropping 500 on an origin plus 200 more for the mods that would cost over 1K otherwise. That’s why. Did you forget to give a link with your “Here is a simple to follow” comment or were you just trying to not contribute any real information? If it’s the same Headfirst parts list or anything derived from their videos and info already easily accessible via google, no thanks. I already addressed that when I said I’m not comfortable working on an amp. I’m looking for recommended techs to do the work, nothing else.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I can get an amp I like the sound of by dropping 500 on an origin plus 200 more for the mods that would cost over 1K otherwise. That’s why. Did you forget to give a link with your “Here is a simple to follow” comment or were you just trying to not contribute any real information? If it’s the same Headfirst parts list or anything derived from their videos and info already easily accessible via google, no thanks. I already addressed that when I said I’m not comfortable working on an amp. I’m looking for recommended techs to do the work, nothing else.
Have you made a move yet on this? I was wondering how much in common the Origin has with a 1987 anyway. No schematics available that I can find yet. I know it's marketed as a plexi (which can cover a lot of ground) with some basic real world features added that we all need, but then so was the Vintage modern. I owned one of each and wasn't happy with either, although the Origin may have been a little better sounding. It looks like conceptually both amps were at least on the right track.

SonOfMI

Reaction score
I haven’t done anything yet, because I was going to buy my friend’s Origin but he’s decided to keep it. I’ve had a few other things pop up in the meantime gearwise that I wanted more than this, so I picked up a few guitars instead. I’ll start looking for another Origin in a bit. But I did find a tech who I’ll have do the work and he’s local to me: Jon Bailey at Atlanta Audio Repair (atlantaaudiorepair dot com). He was theService Manager/Lead Technician/USA Design head for Orange Amps. He seems to know his stuff. During my convo with him I got the impression he’d be happy to go into detail discussing what you’re asking. He geeked out on me about what he has to do to do the necessary mods. He’s done the Headfirst mods to a few Origins and has his own stuff he likes to do with the Origins as well if I wanted to go further than just Plexi tones (such as JCM800 tones). Nice guy too. I wouldn’t hesitate to call him to pick his brain about what you asked.
Have you made a move yet on this? I was wondering how much in common the Origin has with a 1987 anyway. No schematics available that I can find yet. I know it's marketed as a plexi (which can cover a lot of ground) with some basic real world features added that we all need, but then so was the Vintage modern. I owned one of each and wasn't happy with either, although the Origin may have been a little better sounding. It looks like conceptually both amps were at least on the right track.

Latest posts