Advice for tubes

slayerdude

Reaction score
I have a 1987 JCM 800 (2205) and i was thinking about getting new tubes put in it. I have heard alot of different opinions on what tubes to put in it and what would sound the best. From JJ to EH to Groove tubes. Any Suggestions?

JLH

Reaction score
I have tried many of the hew tubes out on the market, believe it or not (this may stir it up) my favorite preamp tubes for any marshall and I own many plexi's, 800,s JMP's, 900's and 2000.
The best tone for the buck is a SAG set from groove tube, this will be all three preamp tubes, matched and are from the special applications group and are a Marshall High Gain set.
these are very warm and tight
JJ EL34's for the power section
this will give this amp power, crunch and TONE, I have tried it all, NOS, chinese you name it.
Let me know if you try this

slayerdude

Reaction score
Thank you for your input. as soon as i get some cash flow in i will probably try that. I want to make this amp as hot as i possibly can. But yeah ill let you know and get back with you.

Spence

Reaction score
I tried a few varieties of valve in my amp. They didn't seem to make a great tonal difference, only gain differences. However, changing the speaker made a monumental difference.

slayerdude

Reaction score
I do want more gain. but yeah i have the regular 1960A & B cabs. i believe they are celestion 75w speaker (G12T-75 model).

swood413

Reaction score
hey, basic tube question. i bought a TSL 100 off my friends uncle about 10 months ago. i think he had the amp 6 months or so before that. i havent touched the tubes at all. how long before i should look into replacing them? the amp sounds better and better everyday, but i dont want to blow anything at a show or something. any suggestions? thanx friends.

Reaction score
Dude if you are looking for some good tubes for a great price check out Home Page they are cheaper than anyone else. For example Groove Tubes sell a SAG Kit for 60.00 dollars for only three 12AX7's Elitevacuumtubes sell's them 34.00 dollars for standard or 42.00 dollars for High Gain 3 tubes check them out.