Angelo Fatica

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me to start with trying to capture Adam jones tones with my dsl40c. I just want a good basis of where to tweak from as I'm not great at picking out individual tones with my hearing. I have these current pedals to accompany the dsl40c:

- Diezel Vh-4 2
- Ibanez tube screamer
- Mxr compressor
- ernie ball volume pedal 250k
- boss 7 band eq
- the prophet analog delay
- cry baby wah
- mxr phase 95
- ibanez flanger mini
- evh 5150 overdrive
- boss noise suppressor ns2

I am planning on ordering a mxr amp pedal as well as I heard it can help boost levels without distorting tone. Any help starting would be appreciated, including where in the chain they should be, any pedals I should add, etc... thanks in advance. P.S. I'm looking for any of the tool tones but I think aenema and lateralus are my two favorite tones. Thanks!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Adam Jones tone.
But like any artist, every song will be different.
Start with the TS up front and the GE-7 in the loop (my standard answer).
The DSL40 has a ton of tone options, and different guitars are going to require different setting.
There's no magic recipe.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me to start with trying to capture Adam jones tones with my dsl40c. I just want a good basis of where to tweak from as I'm not great at picking out individual tones with my hearing. I have these current pedals to accompany the dsl40c:

- Diezel Vh-4 2
- Ibanez tube screamer
- Mxr compressor
- ernie ball volume pedal 250k
- boss 7 band eq
- the prophet analog delay
- cry baby wah
- mxr phase 95
- ibanez flanger mini
- evh 5150 overdrive
- boss noise suppressor ns2

I am planning on ordering a mxr amp pedal as well as I heard it can help boost levels without distorting tone. Any help starting would be appreciated, including where in the chain they should be, any pedals I should add, etc... thanks in advance. P.S. I'm looking for any of the tool tones but I think aenema and lateralus are my two favorite tones. Thanks!

One of the biggest factors in sound are the speakers... they are often overlooked. Adam uses a Marshall 412 with G12-65 speakers and Rectifier 412 cabs with Vintage 30s.

When I fired up my amps and played through my Marshall 412 (V30s and G12-65s in the X pattern) I got VERY close to his tone.

So if you can get your hands on at least a 212 closed back cab with one V30 and one G12-65 speaker, that would get you close enough.

The other ingredients are a mid heavy pickup, something like a Duncan JB or Distortion (Suhr Aldrich works as well), in a Les Paul ideally and a Tubescreamer up front. Keep the mids high, bass low and add in some presence for some high mid cut.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Angelo Fatica

Reaction score
One of the biggest factors in sound are the speakers... they are often overlooked. Adam uses a Marshall 412 with G12-65 speakers and Rectifier 412 cabs with Vintage 30s.

When I fired up my amps and played through my Marshall 412 (V30s and G12-65s in the X pattern) I got VERY close to his tone.

So if you can get your hands on at least a 212 closed back cab with one V30 and one G12-65 speaker, that would get you close enough.

The other ingredients are a mid heavy pickup, something like a Duncan JB or Distortion (Suhr Aldrich works as well), in a Les Paul ideally and a Tubescreamer up front. Keep the mids high, bass low and add in some presence for some high mid cut.

Hope that helps, good luck!
I actually just swapped out the 70/80 for a creamback g12h 75 and absolutely can feel a more balanced and aggressive sound. Also I have my epiphone les paul I have Duncan jb hot rods in both neck and bridge as well as skinny top heavy bottom strings. I'd love to get a mesa cab at some point and mix the v30s with the creambacks to see how close I could get!

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Might as well put up a video of one of their classic tracks, right?

Seems there’s some good advice already. I’ll see if I can dig up some more info, but you’ve probably got a good start already. :headbanger:

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
When you're done with the Diezel tone, then do a Marshall DSL40c crunch tone and layer them together in an edit.

Jones blends Diezel and Marshall. So if you get another amp you can play the Marshall as is next to it, like Jones does.

Your Diezel VH4-2 is a TRUE pre-amp pedal. It is like the front end of a Diezel amp and sounds like channels 3 and 4. However, Diezel has KT66 power tubes and this is what makes a bit of a difference also in the Diezel tone. So we sacrifice that in a Tool pedal setup.

Your biggest enemy is mud. Meaning too much on the pedals. Dial it back but the Diezel pedal can be turned up.

Angelo Fatica

Reaction score
When you're done with the Diezel tone, then do a Marshall DSL40c crunch tone and layer them together in an edit.

Jones blends Diezel and Marshall. So if you get another amp you can play the Marshall as is next to it, like Jones does.

Your Diezel VH4-2 is a TRUE pre-amp pedal. It is like the front end of a Diezel amp and sounds like channels 3 and 4. However, Diezel has KT66 power tubes and this is what makes a bit of a difference also in the Diezel tone. So we sacrifice that in a Tool pedal setup.

Your biggest enemy is mud. Meaning too much on the pedals. Dial it back but the Diezel pedal can be turned up.
I was planning on running the diezel through the marshall clean channel. I just get confused on whether the diezel eq overrides the marshall eq because im not sure if I need to tweak both eqs to the tone or just the diezel pedal. I tried the diezel out today and it sounds bad ass. I think I may try to isolate his guitar and just listen and tweak from there...

Angelo Fatica

Reaction score
Have you tried the Diezel straight into the FX Return, bypassing the Marshall preamp and EQ?
I did not yet. I thought that would just take the output of the amp and add the pedal to the sound like sending the high gain signal from the amp with the marshall eq into the diezel to further be distorted and equalized or am I overthinking that?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I've read that some use their VH-4 pedals as preamps.

The DSL preamp can be thought of as just a fancy distortion pedal, with IN (Input) and OUT (Send) jacks. If the FX Loop isn't used, the preamp and power amp are connected internally.
If you connect a distortion pedal like a VH-4 to just the Return jack (i.e. Power Amp In), all other jacks unused, it becomes 'The Preamp' for the Power Amp. The DSL Preamp is bypassed. So none of the DSL Preamp distorted tones are amplified, just the VH-4.
So you then place OD's before the VH-4 and TBE's after.
Your clean tones would be just the Power amp though. No EQ, except Pres and Res.

I use my MT-2 in a setup with an LS-2.
One loop of the LS-2 is the Marshall preamp. The other loop is just the MT-2.
The LS-2 output then connects to my TBE's before the Return jack.
This way I can switch between the two different 'Preamps'.

Last edited: