Acoustic players, preferred string brand etc

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
So I’m experimenting with my new Martin D10e with different string brands/gauges.

Wondered if there’s some I’ve never considered.

I swapped out the phosphorus bronze for 80/20 as I’ve never really like the mid boost I hear from phosphorus and I generally like a nice bright guitar sound with clear loud trebles and tight low end.

Is there other bright strings worth a try?

I’ve used and like Martin and daddario in the past.
Got some 85/15 bronze 13-56 daddarios on order at the moment.

I’m not in need of a coated string as my strings seem to last a while and I don’t play live or in conditions that’ll cause quick deterioration.

I’ve been using 13s and 12s so far. Mainly an acoustic strummer. Using 0.5 pick most of time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

DaDoc

Reaction score
I like Daddario phosphor bronze in light gauge (12's) myself.

Some like heavier gauge strings on their acoustics as they think it projects more volume, I used them for a while but went back to light gauge..To me the increase in volume was minimal, and when compared to the stiffness and lack of being able to do much string-bending the heavy strings just don't make it for me.

Also, heavy strings are harder on the neck than lighter ones are.

KidBlast

Reaction score
As controversial to some as it may sound, I like coated strings myself and I usually go with Phospher Bronze strings (PBs) vs 80/20

I've used all of these
Elixir PB Nano
Cleartone PBs
Gibson Coated PBs
D'Addario EXP
D'Addario XT
D'Addario XS

The clear winner for me is D'Addario XS

They don't feel like coated strings (slippery or sticky) the coating doesn't shred (like Elixirs do) and they last forever,. I can get a few months out of a set. (4 or 5)

I do have 5 acoustics, so I'm not playing just one, which probably gives me the advantage to making a set lest up to 5 months. I'm guessing I'd get a solid 3 months out a set had I just one acoustic.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
As controversial to some as it may sound, I like coated strings myself and I usually go with Phospher Bronze strings (PBs) vs 80/20

I've used all of these
Elixir PB Nano
Cleartone PBs
Gibson Coated PBs
D'Addario EXP
D'Addario XT
D'Addario XS

The clear winner for me is D'Addario XS

They don't feel like coated strings (slippery or sticky) the coating doesn't shred (like Elixirs do) and they last forever,. I can get a few months out of a set. (4 or 5)

I do have 5 acoustics, so I'm not playing just one, which probably gives me the advantage to making a set lest up to 5 months. I'm guessing I'd get a solid 3 months out a set had I just one acoustic.
Thanks for the reply.

My daddarios I just ordered are EZ930 so I’ll see how they go but maybe look into some you have mentioned. Maybe try the XS version if they don’t feel coated. Happy to try many till I settle or find one that stands out

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I don't generally use 80/20 - I just buy the occasional set for variety - but my favorite 80/20s so far are John Pearse or Curt Mangan but both can be harder to find and cost a couple bucks more.

I like GHS Americana phosphor strings- they're cryogenic and are brighter sounding but still balanced and not too tinny. If you order them the GHS have a "True Medium" which is 13-56 but with lighter gauges in the middle- they have a good feel imo. They work good on my D-28 which benefits from the top end brightness.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Cheers for suggestions. Maybe I should try sticking with the 12s. Came with 13s and care manual said nothing more than 13s is recommended so thought I’d keep trying 13 sets.

Do you guys find much difference in gauge sound wise? Obviously 11s are much easier on the fingers.

Just thought I’d add. Just back from my mates how picking something up and he was playing my Martin and this is first time I heard from another position other than playing it and wow! Sounded so good. I mean to me it sounds beautiful but it sounded a whole lotta awesome when hearing from a listening point. It never crossed my mind to get someone else to play it when I purchased it.

Last edited:

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
So I put on the daddario 85/15s (13 gauge) instantly don’t like them 😂
Much harder to play and seem extremely loud. Seem more low mid heavy to me. Guitar doesn’t sound as delicate and sparkly which probably means nothing to nobody but definitely like the Martin 12s the best so far.
Might put them back on for now as they were nice and use them till they’re in need of changing

KidBlast

Reaction score
Cheers for suggestions. Maybe I should try sticking with the 12s. Came with 13s and care manual said nothing more than 13s is recommended so thought I’d keep trying 13 sets.

Do you guys find much difference in gauge sound wise? Obviously 11s are much easier on the fingers.

Just thought I’d add. Just back from my mates how picking something up and he was playing my Martin and this is first time I heard from another position other than playing it and wow! Sounded so good. I mean to me it sounds beautiful but it sounded a whole lotta awesome when hearing from a listening point. It never crossed my mind to get someone else to play it when I purchased it.

going to a lighter gauge string will drop a little volume acoustically, but if it's from 12s to 11s is more or less negligible to my ears. Subtle, but,, yea there a little. but a more noticeable difference to ones hands

One of the secret weapons to an acoustic guitar purchase is to go with a person you know who plays too. With an acoustic guitar, unless there's a sound port up that's facing you, the "player" has the worse seat in the house.

Sit a few feet in front of a wall in your room, the sound will bounce off the wall and come back at your head. Try it, you'll be surprised how much sound as players, we're missing.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
It seems most guitars I’ve bought over the years came with 12s. For what it’s worth, I prefer 11s. I used to play 50 songs a night and the difference was quite noticeable. I also feel the 11s are a little brighter/livelier - this could just be me though. I have a few sets of 10s I bought for beginning student guitars, but haven’t taught guitar since before COVID so can’t speak on them although I should try a set this summer and see.

Try different string sets and hopefully you’ll find ones that work for you and your guitar. Good luck.

Latest posts