Ace Frehley. Who's a fan?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
do i like ace? well, sometimes.
he is directly resposible for me picking up the guitar so many yrs ago.
his playing has done nothing but gotten more sloppy over the yrs and his
attitude even worse. at this point i prolly wouldt cross the street to go see
him live. i use to think his tone was out of this world. now its a ice pick to
my ears at best.
probably responsible for more kids grabbing up guitar than anybody in history
followed closely only by EVH.
ace's fame has been set in stone in history and nobody can take that away from him.
wrote some really cool stuff over the yrs. his cover tunes are amazing and hes done every
song justice but falls apart doing his own stuff lol.
yeah i like ace, just cant stand to hear him live these last 20 or so yrs. he doesnt even
try to sound good or play better.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
They were the first rock band that I was a groupie at 7yo, clearly the costumes. First concert too 1978. Ace was my favorite,and his earliest costumes were the best. Outgrew them quickly. Listened to them as an adult, and just can't see what I saw back then:/

Crikey

Reaction score
As a wee little guy, KISS was the sole reason why I actually picked up a guitar - thanks to my aunt. I became a fan, but I never paid attention to Ace. Funny enough, I was a fan of Gene the most.

Fast forward many years, I never realized how GREAT Ace's playing and TONE was. He had great Marshall tone. LP ( with my fav Super D pups) straight in - RAW and FULL tilt.

Going through Kiss discography, they ALL really knew how to write a jam. They really pulled from a wide range of influences : Blues, Rock, RnB, Funk, Disco, etc.

Though I love the core lineup, I truly love most of their albums.

Lately, I'm ALL about ( several repeats a day at work):

Unmasked
Creatures of the Night
Dressed to Kill
Dynasty
Music From The Elder
Alive

Where are my KISS friends???
Ace is the reason i startedplaying guitar

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
KISS is the band that proved that marketing and presentation is every bit as important as having musical talent...if not even more so.

I've never been much into their music, for the most part. Don't hate it, don't love it, either. Oddly, the few KISS songs I like best came from their no makeup period. (Lick It Up) During this period their music got a bit more modern and with the times, that being the mid 80s where hair metal was dominant. So it was more to my tastes.

When you want to know what a Marshall 2203 with G12T75 Celestions in it should sound like, I just say "Ace Frehley, Kiss, late 70s. It's THAT tone."

And it pretty much is exactly that.

jeffb

Reaction score
KISS is the band that proved that marketing and presentation is every bit as important as having musical talent...if not even more so.

I've never been much into their music, for the most part. Don't hate it, don't love it, either. Oddly, the few KISS songs I like best came from their no makeup period. (Lick It Up) During this period their music got a bit more modern and with the times, that being the mid 80s where hair metal was dominant. So it was more to my tastes.

When you want to know what a Marshall 2203 with G12T75 Celestions in it should sound like, I just say "Ace Frehley, Kiss, late 70s. It's THAT tone."

And it pretty much is exactly that.
Im not sure if you are suggesting that is what Ace and Paul used, but T75s were not introduced until 1985.

They both used a mix of g12M25s and 1982 cabs with 55hz g12h30s through the 1970s.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I am aware of that, so KISS was not using T75s in the 70s, that is certain. Still...a 2203 with T75s reminds me very strongly of that tone. Maybe it's in how the EQ'ed the recording. (Push bass and treble, that pretty much defines what a T75 does anyway.)

V-man

Reaction score
Im not sure if you are suggesting that is what Ace and Paul used, but T75s were not introduced until 1985.

They both used a mix of g12M25s and 1982 cabs with 55hz g12h30s through the 1970s.

I am aware of that, so KISS was not using T75s in the 70s, that is certain. Still...a 2203 with T75s reminds me very strongly of that tone. Maybe it's in how the EQ'ed the recording. (Push bass and treble, that pretty much defines what a T75 does anyway.)

Yes, I suppose EQ/boosting is everything when you are talking about the amp that made Back in Black, through Reign in Blood and then some. Early KISS is far from the first thing that comes to mind with a 2203, particularly with GT75s, but OTOH, it seems relatively simple to achieve convincingly on that amp.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I love Ace . I loved Ace when he was in KISS . Seen Ace many times live with KISS and solo . One thing about Ace is that he really blasts the decibels . 2014 seeing him live at the Toyota Theatre somewhere in CT and my ears were ringing good-n- plenty the next day . I really love when Ace does Shock Me and makes the fire and smoke come out of his pickup in his "smoker " Les Paul. Ace said right afterwards "still smoking after 40 years " .

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally ,if you were born around 62 or later (me 63) , KISS was your thing (til Van Halen came to be)
The kids older than that ,especially musicians thought of KISS as bubblegum teenybopper sh*t , on par with The Bay City Rollers

KISS in the beginning ....no fancy shit , just Marshalls...tight as fck

Comin apart at the seams with weird Paul opera shit , but I think Ace is smokin ,some killer tone at 3:20

AND, I never bought Paul's whole "Peter can't play "BS either
Peter could play KISS just fine

playloud

Reaction score
KISS in the beginning ....no fancy shit , just Marshalls...tight as fck

This makes me wonder if there's an alternate reality in which the NY Dolls blew up in the same way....

Saw Ace open for Alice Cooper a few years ago. It felt bad when he played 'NY Groove' and only my brother and I got out of our seats. Perhaps it would have helped if his guitar lit up in time to the music!

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I still listen to his solo "KISS" cd in my ride. Best of the bunch and a great stand alone RAWK album.

My brother and I had all the solo albums and we put all the inside puzzle peices together to wallpaper one of our walls in the bedroom we shared. We had a bunch of 8 tracks, albums, action figures, and I even had the lunchbox. My 1st grade teacher told me they were Satanic! lol

They lost me after Dynasty, but I still like Ace's cover of 2000 Man (I still rawk it on my guitar on occasion), and Sure Know Something was better than decent. I did like Frehley's Comet as well. I even have a copy of Spaceman and like it. Just good raw rawk - cranked Marshals & Les Pauls.

So yeah, I dig Ace.:thumbs:

I've even spent a lot of time looking for his Washburn sig guitar, but they are as rare as hen's teeth. I like it so shut it in the peanut gallery! :p
ace.jpg

matttornado

Reaction score
Kiss were my 1st musical influence as well. Paul Stanley more than Ace, especially back then in the 70s before I started playing guitar.

Petrichor

Reaction score
No apologies for my influences. I saw Kiss on TV one fateful afternoon in 1977 and instantly knew what I wanted to do in life.

Ace's two albums of covers, "Origins" Vols 1 and 2, are really good, especially Vol. 1.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
gene simmion just told NY Post he can no longer continue with kiss on their last tour.
at 73 hes no longer able to carry 40lbs of armour and wear 6in spiked heels.