A bit about me and my kit.

Brek

Reaction score
Hello all. Joined a few weeks back, thought I’d post an intro about me. In mid 50’s, Been playing on and off since school, although for the most part never really progressed much beyond a punky 3 chord thrash. Obs with lockdown and enforced stay at home, like quite a few others thought I’d see if I can master lead playing.

Been buying a few amps to try out and moved some on. I had a blackstar 20 studio head, which sounded kinda ok, but not keen on the fact the clean channel is solid state. So it went. Had a cornford Carrera which was interesting but not the sound I was after. So it also went. Early purchase was a origin 5 combo, and never been to sure what to make of it, with the built in 8 inch I found the sound a bit ‘hard’ for want of a description. Like it hit the compression limit, but not in a good way, more like someone overset a compressor. Messed about with a few speakers, tried in with the V30 of the Carrera and big improvement in overall tone, so it stayed. Way to loud for my little play room though. Thought about cranking everything and sticking it in an iso box, as a plug in and play one setting for recording, but not done anything about that yet. So it’s more of a pedal platform at mo.

Which brings me to, I have a waza blues driver, a king of tone, a Mki Timmy, not the breadboard one though, the slightly later pcb version, a decibelics golden horsie mini pedal, a mosky golden horsie, a tone city king of blues, and lastly a rehoused dan electro cool cat v1.
Present set up is the origin 5, a Jtm1c, and preordered a dsl 20 head, was thinking of an origin 20, but thought maybe the different palette of a high gain would be more useful.
Learning about valve amps is ongoing, I have a decent ear, worked as a sound engineer in my early 20’s. Bit of an audiophile, so have critical listening ability. But a lot of the knowledge of the last 50 years or so that is now ‘canon’ is all new to me. So what is old news to you guys, is like wow, that’s amazing to me. .

Built up a collection of celestion speakers to mess about with, not into moddling, but do use an IPad with bias amp and amplitude late at night, yeah I know it’s good, convenient, endless choice etc. But I work with computers for a living, so it’s nice to have an analog system, with the physicality of plugging in discreet components that shows what’s connected where without menu diving.

One the subject of speakers, I have, 2 x celestion alnico golds, 2 x alnico blues, 1 10in creamback, 1 g10 vintage, these are all in home made cabs, ones a 4x10, with inputs on a breakout box on top, so I can pick what speakers I want easily. The others a 2x12 for the alnico blues, construction is glued and screwed 18mm bitch ply, with 12mm baffles and backs. Configured as three piece backs, with a center section that removes for open back use, and a cheap subzero cab with 4 x 10in ten 30’s . Also have the matching head the subzero 50r, it’s an dual 6l6 amp, which I bought with the idea of being a endlessly clean pedal platform, which it is too good at, cannot get the volume control past 1 at home. Lmao.

Must also mention I am endlessly in awe of you guys that 1, can read and understand a schematic, and 2, can then think, what if?.
Well that’s probably put most of you to sleep so I’ll leave it here.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Joined a few weeks back, thought I’d post an intro about me. In mid 50’s, Been playing on and off since school, although for the most part never really progressed much beyond a punky 3 chord thrash. Obs with lockdown and enforced stay at home, like quite a few others thought I’d see if I can master lead playing.

Been buying a few amps to try out and moved some on. I had a blackstar 20 studio head, which sounded kinda ok, but not keen on the fact the clean channel is solid state. So it went. Had a cornford Carrera which was interesting but not the sound I was after. So it also went. Early purchase was a origin 5 combo, and never been to sure what to make of it, with the built in 8 inch I found the sound a bit ‘hard’ for want of a description. Like it hit the compression limit, but not in a good way, more like someone overset a compressor. Messed about with a few speakers, tried in with the V30 of the Carrera and big improvement in overall tone, so it stayed. Way to loud for my little play room though. Thought about cranking everything and sticking it in an iso box, as a plug in and play one setting for recording, but not done anything about that yet. So it’s more of a pedal platform at mo.

Which brings me to, I have a waza blues driver, a king of tone, a Mki Timmy, not the breadboard one though, the slightly later pcb version, a decibelics golden horsie mini pedal, a mosky golden horsie, a tone city king of blues, and lastly a rehoused dan electro cool cat v1.
Present set up is the origin 5, a Jtm1c, and preordered a dsl 20 head, was thinking of an origin 20, but thought maybe the different palette of a high gain would be more useful.
Learning about valve amps is ongoing, I have a decent ear, worked as a sound engineer in my early 20’s. Bit of an audiophile, so have critical listening ability. But a lot of the knowledge of the last 50 years or so that is now ‘canon’ is all new to me. So what is old news to you guys, is like wow, that’s amazing to me. .

Built up a collection of celestion speakers to mess about with, not into moddling, but do use an IPad with bias amp and amplitude late at night, yeah I know it’s good, convenient, endless choice etc. But I work with computers for a living, so it’s nice to have an analog system, with the physicality of plugging in discreet components that shows what’s connected where without menu diving.

One the subject of speakers, I have, 2 x celestion alnico golds, 2 x alnico blues, 1 10in creamback, 1 g10 vintage, these are all in home made cabs, ones a 4x10, with inputs on a breakout box on top, so I can pick what speakers I want easily. The others a 2x12 for the alnico blues, construction is glued and screwed 18mm bitch ply, with 12mm baffles and backs. Configured as three piece backs, with a center section that removes for open back use, and a cheap subzero cab with 4 x 10in ten 30’s . Also have the matching head the subzero 50r, it’s an dual 6l6 amp, which I bought with the idea of being a endlessly clean pedal platform, which it is too good at, cannot get the volume control past 1 at home. Lmao.

Must also mention I am endlessly in awe of you guys that 1, can read and understand a schematic, and 2, can then think, what if?.
Well that’s probably put most of you to sleep so I’ll leave it here.
:welcome:
To the forum
I have never played much with the Origin 5 watt, but I do own a pair of the 50H’s.
Enjoy your tone journey that’s what it’s about.
Cheers
Mitch

Brek

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. AlNiCo speakers (and pickups) are the best. I'm waiting on the OK from the wife to buy four Jensen P12Qs.
Let me now how they sound if she does, I am considering the p8r version as they are really low sensitivity in my jtm1c, the chap from scum back suggested something along those lines, after a bit of reading, I think they fit the bill from my intended useage and his advice in relation to it. Light magnet, and break up early, I like that the bass is described as loose and the mids as subdued.