6100 LM in my area and other questions

jamesband4

Reaction score
As title suggests, there is a 6100 LM in my area for decently cheap. I know from research these are behemoth tone monsters, capable of melting away dozens of other similar range and above amps. Probably going to buy it. The allure of the 6100 LM for me is specifically the separated channels. i love my DSL40 to death, but I feel the cleans on it are pretty mediocre and the toan capability is limited with the single EQ. This leads me to my question:
Are the number of Marshalls with dedicated clean/OD channels really so limited? All I can think off the top of my head are:

the TSL, which apparently is “not that good” when compared to the DSL
the JVM, which is $$$, and if I’m spending that much change (new, used is rare but cheaper), would just go balls to the wall for a Friedman
the 6100, which is highly praised but can be a hit or miss if that Midi ends up dying (may anitoli bless me with good luck).

Why is it that good Marshalls don’t have the versatility that modern designs offer? I get that “modern” and classic Marshalls don’t exactly go together, but I guess I’m just wondering why there weren’t many designs available during the past 50 years.

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a 6100 LM in my area for decently cheap... Probably going to buy it.
Ya lost me after "probably going to buy it".
I don't have a TSL, or a JVM, so I can't compare for you.
My 6101 is a very versatile amp with cleans that are crystal clear, and gain that goes to crazy.
Any way you can try it out?
Let us know what you do.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The TSL in my opinion is way better than the DSL tonally and feature wise.
The JVM covers everything. 6100is very nice too amd versatile.
The 2 channel 800s has a separate EQ for each channel as did the 900s. That was early 1980s.

Come to think of it the Mode 4 as well.

The JVM IS the modern Marshall design amd it certainly holds it's own against anything. At the time the 6100 and TSL would have been as versatile as anything else.
Not sure what you refer to as modern Marshalls. Good Marshalls do have the versatility.
In fact with the modes and footswitch on the JVM it would kill a Friedman in that respect and pretty much anything else.
I mean, do we really care with the Mesa Mk V if the rectifier is tube or SS? At what point does versatility just become unnecessary?

jamesband4

Reaction score
The 2 channel 800s has a separate EQ for each channel as did the 900s. That was early 1980s.

The JVM IS the modern Marshall design amd it certainly holds it's own against anything. At the time the 6100 and TSL would have been as versatile as anything else.
Not sure what you refer to as modern Marshalls. Good Marshalls do have the versatility.
In fact with the modes and footswitch on the JVM it would kill a Friedman in that respect and pretty much anything else.
I mean, do we really care with the Mesa Mk V if the rectifier is tube or SS? At what point does versatility just become unnecessary?

Appreciate the reply! Do you have models for those JCM800/900s you mentioned?
I’ll check out the TSL a bit more then. I just remember reading peoples complaints on them when researching my first tube amp. Some of my issue might also just be not knowing how to dial in the sound I have in my head. Oh well, I learn with time.

When I say modern Marshalls, I guess I just haven’t seen much of anything that I’ve been wanting in an amp - separate EQs/ totally independent channels, so I don’t have to compromise the cleans I want with the Marshall gain and distortion that I love. Perhaps using a single EQ amp for the past 5 years has made me crave something a little more convenient for myself now that I’m trying to get back into playing music with a band.

jamesband4

Reaction score

As far as versatility goes, I agree with you on that example. DC is DC if its filtered properly, so who cares! I would just consider that for amps as good as marshall (or Mesa, etc), independent channels should have been a standard on their most popular amps. Maybe versatility wasn’t the correct term, but practicality? I don’t want a Marshall to sound like another amp, but I do want it to be practical to use for my needs.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Appreciate the reply! Do you have models for those JCM800/900s you mentioned?
I’ll check out the TSL a bit more then. I just remember reading peoples complaints on them when researching my first tube amp. Some of my issue might also just be not knowing how to dial in the sound I have in my head. Oh well, I learn with time.

When I say modern Marshalls, I guess I just haven’t seen much of anything that I’ve been wanting in an amp - separate EQs/ totally independent channels, so I don’t have to compromise the cleans I want with the Marshall gain and distortion that I love. Perhaps using a single EQ amp for the past 5 years has made me crave something a little more convenient for myself now that I’m trying to get back into playing music with a band.

JVM has been around for like 10 years and the 4 channel version has 3 modes per channel making it 12 separate tone settings plus separate EQ! With the footswicth capability it is one of the most versatile amps ever. Great for live use.
The JMD was a digital preamp with tube power amp amd has tons of options.

The TSL 100 series had issues with some of the main boards in terms of the bias drifting but past that the actual amp is killer.
The early 800 amd 900s are not modern by any stretch given when they were made. The 2205, 2210 series was a 2 channel 800 with a loop. The 900 series has a few models, just google it. 4100, 2500 etc
That aside, the 6100 is a killer amp. Came out in 1992 and way ahead of it's time. Hope you like it it is a sweet amp for sure.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
As far as versatility goes, I agree with you on that example. DC is DC if its filtered properly, so who cares! I would just consider that for amps as good as marshall (or Mesa, etc), independent channels should have been a standard on their most popular amps. Maybe versatility wasn’t the correct term, but practicality? I don’t want a Marshall to sound like another amp, but I do want it to be practical to use for my needs.
Well, again, Marshall had 2 channel amps with a loop since early 1980s. The 900s had more features, some even had dual Master Volumes like the JVM. The 6100 covered 3 channels in 1992 with 2 loops etc etc. . Then came DSL and TSL followed by JVM. In my opinion Marshall has always had fairly versatile models.
EDIT I lied. The 900s shared EQ but had 2 separate gain and volume controls among others. I thought some had independent channels. My bad.

I too like multi channel amps to be practical for my needs.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
JCM800 2 channel example.

1989-marshall-jcm-800-2210-100-wat-1.jpg

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Marshall was God the last half of the last century. It went to their head and they thought they could always just rely on the old black and gold standard "The Sound of Rock" and "there is no other" mentality. This was until everyone started passing them by. May be too late to catch up because after our generation is stinking in the Earth none of the tube amp companies will matter anymore anyway.

I have not caught up on this thread but based on your post I'd snag the 6100 since it's debatably the best Marshall ever made in terms of ...well, everything. I had one but sold it after I got my JVM410HJS (Satriani) head which in my opinion completely trumps it. Well, kinda ...it is it, just even more.

Friedman's are great if you like supercharged Fenders. If you like Marshall it's a different animal.

Last edited:

jamesband4

Reaction score
Marshall was God the last half of the last century. It went to their head and they thought they could always just rely on the old black and gold standard "The Sound of Rock" and "there is no other" mentality. This was until everyone started passing them by. May be too late to catch up because after our generation is stinking in the Earth none of the tube amp companies will matter anymore anyway.

I have not caught up on this thread but based on your post I'd snag the 6100 since it's debatably the best Marshall ever made in terms of ...well, everything. I had one but sold it after I got my JVM410HJS (Satriani) head which in my opinion completely trumps it. Well, kinda ...it is it, just even more.

Friedman's are great if you like supercharged Fenders. If you like Marshall it's a different animal.

Yea, we’ll see how much hookie I can play with work come tuesday. Want to play with it ASAP if it is as coveted as it sounds. Been thinking about it non stop since i found it listed.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yea, we’ll see how much hookie I can play with work come tuesday. Want to play with it ASAP if it is as coveted as it sounds. Been thinking about it non stop since i found it listed.
Plus nothing wrong with owning a more rare, 30th Anniversary Marshall. It was way ahead of it's time.

Latest posts