5E8A Amp Clone Build

bluesky636

Reaction score
Just completed my latest and last amp build (I'm 68 years old and have built a Fender 5F6A, Fender 5F1, Trainwreck Express, and heavily modified a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, and Fender Champion 600 Reissue. I think that's enough.), a Fender 5E8A head.

All my builds have been based on Weber's kits to which I have added my own little tweaks. Note that the Weber kits do not come with instructions, only a schematic and wiring diagram. You do need to know what you are doing. I have a BSEE (1976, the last year that vacuum tubes were part of the curriculum) and learned to solder while in college.

The head version of the Weber 5E8A is unusual in that the chassis is the same chassis as used in their 2x12 combo cabinet kit. As a result, when built as a head the tubes sit parallel to the bottom of the head instead of hanging vertically.

The head is then plugged into a Crate 4x12 cabinet loaded with 16 ohm Celestion G12M-25 reissues. The cab is wired to allow a choice of stereo 8 ohms, mono 4 ohms, or mono 16 ohms. The output transformer of the 5E8A is 4 ohms.

The power transformer is wired for 120 VAC input (as are all my amps). My wall outlets measure between 122 and 124 VAC so I use a AmpRX Backline Power Station to bring the voltage down to about 118 VAC. Power tubes (JJ 6L6GCs) are biased about 60% (still tweaking the bias). Preamp tubes are JJ 12AX7s (2) and JJ 12AX7s for the voltage amp and phase inverter. Weber Copper Cap WU4GBs (2) are the rectifiers. I've added a bias adjustment pot to the front panel to be used with a dual bias probe.

That's about it for technical details so here are some photos. I have ordered name and serial number plates for front and back. Hope you like.

52226095978_b2b1477799_b.jpg

52226569515_7b07ed93df_b.jpg

52226097108_725afdb3d5_b.jpg

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
That had to have been a breeze compared to some of your other builds! The experience shows...it looks fantasic. Nocely done :applause:

bluesky636

Reaction score
That had to have been a breeze compared to some of your other builds! The experience shows...it looks fantasic. Nocely done :applause:
Thanks.

It was actually the first one I built that worked the first time I fired it up. :fever:

neikeel

Reaction score
Looks really nice, excellent job, I've thought of doing one myself, only thing concerns me is how close those 6L6s are to the floor of the cab (even if 'heat rises').

bluesky636

Reaction score
Looks really nice, excellent job, I've thought of doing one myself, only thing concerns me is how close those 6L6s are to the floor of the cab (even if 'heat rises').
Thanks.

It is an optical illusion created by the angle of the photograph.

neikeel

Reaction score
Thats good, wasn't reall thinking of flashpoint! More that the vinyl will melt and might smell!

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice build, looking good!

I've never seen this tube orientation before, interesting. Is there only one speaker out on the back panel, or am I missing something?

bluesky636

Reaction score
Nice build, looking good!

I've never seen this tube orientation before, interesting. Is there only one speaker out on the back panel, or am I missing something?
Thanks.

Here is my comment from the OP about the tube orientation:

The head version of the Weber 5E8A is unusual in that the chassis is the same chassis as used in their 2x12 combo cabinet kit. As a result, when built as a head the tubes sit parallel to the bottom of the head instead of hanging vertically.

The output transformer has both 4 and 8 ohm taps. The chassis has a second hole under the output jack that could be used for a jack. I only used the 4 ohm tap as the speaker cabinet is wired for either 4 or 16 ohm mono or 8 ohm stereo.

Last edited:

bluesky636

Reaction score
Looks really good!

Nice company you got in that room. Are all those amps your own builds?
Thanks.

The 5F6A, 5F1, and Trainwreck Express clones are all my builds. The Champion 600 Reissue was modified by me to 5F1 spec. The tiny amp in the middle is stock from Fender.