52 Years Ago Today...

Markedman

Reaction score
Hendrix, had he lived, would have ushered in a whole new type of music. He could speak on his guitar and hear things before he played them knowing exactly where to play and how to play it.

You were hearing his soul when he played and the tone was in his face. A modern day Bach.

BlueX

Reaction score
Jimi Left this world...

View attachment 115476

Billy Cox tribute from today:

Billy Cox (Hendrix) ·​

“I may return If dissatisfied with what I learn from having died.”~ Robert Frost

It was set up like a Moroccan Salon, a section of Jimi's living room in his New York apartment in the village. Beautiful fabric hung on three sides; the front was left open. An oriental rug, big pillows and cushions covered the floor. The rest of the decor remained true to the ambience.

On this particular day, just Jimi and I were in his apartment. Jimi lying on pillows in the salon, facing the opening, I'm sitting outside salon, in a large bean bag chair, facing the salon's opening.

It was during moments like these: when either or both of us needed advice, an opinion or an ear we could trust, that we covered it all. But, most importantly with guitar and bass always close by, Jimi and I would either go over songs or come up with new patterns. We'd talked about the good old days, laughing about some of the old blues cats and the colorful characters we had known.

So, we are just sitting there, talking about any and everything ...enjoying, chilling.

Everything shifted, then I knew Jimi was about to lay some heavy stuff on me. He told me that it was during the wee hours one morning, that he became aware of being out of his body, hovering and looking down at his body. He then became aware of an opening in space, that looked like an entrance.. It was conveyed or it became clear that he could go through the opening, which he started to do or he could remain here. Jimi told me that It was then he recognized that he had some unfinished music that he needed to finish. So, he decided to stay. Jimi watched himself go back into his body. He then went back to sleep.

I came to recognize thoroughly just how cosmically special Jimi was, when especially, he and I shared those just enjoying and chilling moments. Jimi Hendrix was not like your everyday person or musician. The major difference being, Jimi Hendrix was CONSCIOUS of his purpose/calling for being here and committed to fulfilling it, with a very humble spirit, open and receptive to all that the Universe imparted.

From time to time and during this time of year, I'm always grateful that Jimi shared that special experience with me. It somewhat gives me comfort in believing, maybe Jimi had finished all that he was here to do, on this side, and that is why he left us and moved on.

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix (November 27, 1942 - September 18,1970)

~Always in my thoughts, my friend, Billy
Thanks for this post!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Count me in as a member of the "suspect everything" group.

It is hard to revisit the loss of this artistic genius who gave so much. I do not personally think Hendrix finished what he was here to do. What I do think is that he was cut short - murdered. I think there are enough accounts saying the same thing that it has merit to support this - he was waterboarded with red wine yet his blood alcohol level was not particularly elevated.

I love a good conspiracy theory, so count me in on wanting to hear more as well!

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Rest in Peace Maestro, you've taught me nearly everything I know and I still continue to learn from you. You inspired to pick up the guitar and continue to inspire me every single day. Your music has been my best friend, my sanctuary, my guiding light and I am forever grateful.

I find Billy's quote quite interesting as there are several accounts of Jimi expressing he felt he had ran out of ideas circa 1970. I believe Jimi just needed a break from the business, time to himself with no looming deadlines or contracts. I have no doubt he would have continued to influence music and create beyond just rock or even guitar.

I love a good conspiracy theory, so count me in on wanting to hear more as well!
I personally believe it could very well have been a murder. The biggest incriminating part imo is the fact it is documented and known that his manager Michael Jeffery had his "thugs" kidnap Jimi and held him hostage in a warehouse. Jeffrey arranged it as an attempt to make Jimi feel indebted as Jeffery was the one to "rescue" him... This shit is crazy and surprise it isn't talked about more.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Rest in Peace Maestro, you've taught me nearly everything I know and I still continue to learn from you. You inspired to pick up the guitar and continue to inspire me every single day. Your music has been my best friend, my sanctuary, my guiding light and I am forever grateful.

I find Billy's quote quite interesting as there are several accounts of Jimi expressing he felt he had ran out of ideas circa 1970. I believe Jimi just needed a break from the business, time to himself with no looming deadlines or contracts. I have no doubt he would have continued to influence music and create beyond just rock or even guitar.

I personally believe it could very well have been a murder. The biggest incriminating part imo is the fact it is documented and known that his manager Michael Jeffery had his "thugs" kidnap Jimi and held him hostage in a warehouse. Jeffrey arranged it as an attempt to make Jimi feel indebted as Jeffery was the one to "rescue" him... This shit is crazy and surprise it isn't talked about more.

Wait … WUT??? … why is this the first I’m hearing of this? Talk about it more, please!

Jimi-C

Reaction score
Name your favorite Hendrix ….
1. Best over all song - live or studio= my fav Voodoo Child with Steve Winwood
2. Favorite Hendrix lead= mine Foxy Lady , studio version
3. Fav clean song= mine Lil Wing
Pali Gap , Captain Coconut , Freedom , Changes with Buddy Miles , Angel came down from heaven yesterday...... just to name a few

Last edited:

Plexitim

Reaction score
As I understand it Jimi's official cause of death was not pills - although he was found to have barbituates in his system. His cause of death was from drowning in red wine. Ample amounts of it filled his stomach, his lungs and throat. His blood alcohol level did not reflect high levels of alcohol in it. In other words, waterboarding. Here is one article of many:

Please read the quote from James Wright: https://allthatsinteresting.com/jimi-hendrix-death

Jimi-C

Reaction score
it is documented and known that his manager Michael Jeffery had his "thugs" kidnap Jimi and held him hostage in a warehouse. Jeffrey arranged it as an attempt to make Jimi feel indebted as Jeffery was the one to "rescue" him... This shit is crazy and surprise it isn't talked about more.
I've heard this story as well and it has been documented and televised . Jimi was going in a new direction " Blues Rock " and Michael Jeffrey didn't like it , Jeffrey wanted to keep the status quo.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Wait … WUT??? … why is this the first I’m hearing of this? Talk about it more, please!
I will try to find a good breakdown of the story. Most of the articles on it are glorified click bait and paint Jimi as a strung out smack user (which he wasn't). This event is pretty well known in the Hendrix freak circles and has a lot of angles pointing to Michael Jeffery arranging the whole thing to make Jimi feel indebted to Jeffery. Around this time Jimi and the band started realizing they were being robbed blind by Jeffery and this is when things started coming apart with the Experience and Jimi was expression a desire to ditch Jeffery.
As I understand it Jimi's official cause of death was not pills - although he was found to have barbituates in his system. His cause of death was from drowning in red wine. Ample amounts of it filled his stomach, his lungs and throat. His blood alcohol level did not reflect high levels of alcohol in it. In other words, waterboarding. Here is one article of many:

Please read the quote from James Wright: https://allthatsinteresting.com/jimi-hendrix-death
James "Tappy" Wright is not a trustworthy source of information and has been caught in NUMEROUS lies and exaggerations. In the Hendrix circles he has little to no credibility so just a heads up!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I will try to find a good breakdown of the story. Most of the articles on it are glorified click bait and paint Jimi as a strung out smack user (which he wasn't). This event is pretty well known in the Hendrix freak circles and has a lot of angles pointing to Michael Jeffery arranging the whole thing to make Jimi feel indebted to Jeffery. Around this time Jimi and the band started realizing they were being robbed blind by Jeffery and this is when things started coming apart with the Experience and Jimi was expression a desire to ditch Jeffery.

James "Tappy" Wright is not a trustworthy source of information and has been caught in NUMEROUS lies and exaggerations. In the Hendrix circles he has little to no credibility so just a heads up!
to be fair, most of these guys w/ their lores, are a bit suspect...

You figure though, that, many of them were on acid all the time doing whatever they could get their minds on & trippin'. Jimi dying was a bad trip. Seems that people then tried to associate themselves more close to him than they were & everyone was pointing fingers...

Like that page I posted, I doubt well more than 50% of what that guy claimed, but, he was supposedly giving hearsay, w/o naming names & who knows?

There's a doc: "Last 24 Hrs (of Jimi Hendrix)" I think that's the one, but, you'll have to decide for yourself...

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
There are a lot of angles on Jimi's passing, I will share my thoughts.

I think it is possible it was an accident, Jimi being reckless with Vesperex to knock himself out... it is said that he said he was having troubles sleeping routinely. I'm sure he took uppers to get thru the day and downers to finally come back down, all so he could maintain the work load AND his life style

I think it is more likely a result of a jealous Monika Dannemann, Jimi's then current girlfriend. Jimi was seen at a party the night before his death, it is said he was complaining about Monika, she was clingy and desperate to have him to herself. I believe it was mentioned somewhere that she insisted to Jimi that he marry her. Jimi more than likely didn't see it that serious and was not interested. Witnesses at the party claimed Monika showed up to retrieve Jimi and crashed the party in the process. I believe she knew Jimi would eventually leave her and if she couldn't have Jimi to herself then no one could. The Vesperex found in Jimi's system were prescribed to her, she claims Jimi asked for them and took a large dose to get some good sleep... but 8 Vesperex??? I believe the recommended dosing was half a pill? 1 pill? The toxicology showed Jimi had a large amount of Vesperex in his system. Monika's story has changed numerous times but Eric Burden claims she called him after finding Jimi, she was in a panic claiming she couldn't wake him and she couldn't call an ambulance because there were drugs in the flat. I believe Eric convinced her to hide the drugs and call an ambulance immediately in which she did... It is said by the ambulance driver's Jimi was deceased upon arriving to his flat at the Samarkand Hotel. The ambulance medics did not have authority to declare death and races Jimi to the hospital where they tried resuscitation but to no avail. It is said his throat and airway were full of vomit and red wine, that the vomit had already started to dry and crust when they found him. Monika went on in life OBSESSED with Hendrix and endlessly painted pictures of him and talked about him her entire life. Kathy Etchingham, Jimi's first seriously girlfriend upon landing in the UK, had the case reopened to investigate foul play. Monika was to appear and testify her ever changing story before a court... Oddly she committed suicide before she could speak in court.

I personally think Monika Dannemann killed Jimi, she was obsessed and angry/hurt and fueled with jealousy, plotted and killed Jimi. I believe she either convinced Jimi to take the 8 Vesperex or drugged him and then proceeded to waterboard/drown Jimi with red wine as he lay defensless and unconscious in bed.

I think her obsession with Jimi her entire life AND her sudden suicide before trial says a lot.

Just my theory.

Not doubting that Jimi might have expressed that, but one listen to Night Bird Flying is enough to disabuse me, at least, of a sound basis for that sentiment
I agree 100%!
That song alone points to how amazing Jimi's new direction could have sounded. I think about how amazing a whole album of that new stuff would be! The posthumous albums show a faint glimpse but most of those tracks were never 100% finished.

I think Jimi had just burnt out by the end, I feel he would have benefited from doing like the Beatles and quit touring, if only temporarily but obviously the Jeffery would not allow that.
to be fair, most of these guys w/ their lores, are a bit suspect...

You figure though, that, many of them were on acid all the time doing whatever they could get their minds on & trippin'. Jimi dying was a bad trip. Seems that people then tried to associate themselves more close to him than they were & everyone was pointing fingers...

Like that page I posted, I doubt well more than 50% of what that guy claimed, but, he was supposedly giving hearsay, w/o naming names & who knows?

There's a doc: "Last 24 Hrs (of Jimi Hendrix)" I think that's the one, but, you'll have to decide for yourself...

I agree 100%

It is worth noting that a lot of those involved with the Experience or just around Jimi in general did not make a ton of money IE the road crew etc and tried to profit off of their "involvement" with Jimi. Tappy Wright and others probably genuinely knew Jimi more than most people but it is known Tappy has tried to cash in on it more than once in not so honest ways.

I read all the stories about Jimi and those who knew him and view them all with a context of the times and the situations... simply a grain of salt.

dimbulb

Reaction score
Eddie Kramer pulling up various tracks on the faders

Jimi Hendrix - Night Bird Flying (Behind The Scenes)

Towards the end of the song, Jimi and Billy Cox lay on all these funky unison parts they'd been working on in that phase of Jimi's career, there are some other songs that have these kinds of parts as well

They're mainly beneath the more prominent main phrases and motifs in the song, and the downright funkiness is a reason to kick up the bass knob a bit to highlight them

Latest posts