Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Jimi Left this world...

305115519_5775538539123919_6246342906758334208_n.jpg

Billy Cox tribute from today:

Billy Cox (Hendrix) ·​

“I may return If dissatisfied with what I learn from having died.”~ Robert Frost

It was set up like a Moroccan Salon, a section of Jimi's living room in his New York apartment in the village. Beautiful fabric hung on three sides; the front was left open. An oriental rug, big pillows and cushions covered the floor. The rest of the decor remained true to the ambience.

On this particular day, just Jimi and I were in his apartment. Jimi lying on pillows in the salon, facing the opening, I'm sitting outside salon, in a large bean bag chair, facing the salon's opening.

It was during moments like these: when either or both of us needed advice, an opinion or an ear we could trust, that we covered it all. But, most importantly with guitar and bass always close by, Jimi and I would either go over songs or come up with new patterns. We'd talked about the good old days, laughing about some of the old blues cats and the colorful characters we had known.

So, we are just sitting there, talking about any and everything ...enjoying, chilling.

Everything shifted, then I knew Jimi was about to lay some heavy stuff on me. He told me that it was during the wee hours one morning, that he became aware of being out of his body, hovering and looking down at his body. He then became aware of an opening in space, that looked like an entrance.. It was conveyed or it became clear that he could go through the opening, which he started to do or he could remain here. Jimi told me that It was then he recognized that he had some unfinished music that he needed to finish. So, he decided to stay. Jimi watched himself go back into his body. He then went back to sleep.

I came to recognize thoroughly just how cosmically special Jimi was, when especially, he and I shared those just enjoying and chilling moments. Jimi Hendrix was not like your everyday person or musician. The major difference being, Jimi Hendrix was CONSCIOUS of his purpose/calling for being here and committed to fulfilling it, with a very humble spirit, open and receptive to all that the Universe imparted.

From time to time and during this time of year, I'm always grateful that Jimi shared that special experience with me. It somewhat gives me comfort in believing, maybe Jimi had finished all that he was here to do, on this side, and that is why he left us and moved on.

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix (November 27, 1942 - September 18,1970)

~Always in my thoughts, my friend, Billy

StingRay85

Reaction score
"It somewhat gives me comfort in believing, maybe Jimi had finished all that he was here to do, on this side, and that is why he left us and moved on."

Can't agree with that. He wasn't burned out and drugged out of his mind like e.g. Kurt Cobain. From the 27 club he's by far the one that had the most unfinished business at planet Earth. Play lead guitar in some kind of super band of the 70s.

Check out Mojo Man from the People, Hell and Angels album

StingRay85

Reaction score
I do hope at some point all those studio recordings made by Eddie Kramer would become openly available. I would be endlessly listening to them. Jimi trying to record a guitar track like Bold as Love, 10 takes in a row. See where he messed up. Listen to the version on the The Jimi Hendrix Experience 4 cd box set. Truly insane. How many more of these kind of jewels are available. What we heard from him is only tip of the ice berg, 10%. I came to the point where I prefer these kind of recordings compared to the famous studio songs.

"It's too bad"

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I do hope at some point all those studio recordings made by Eddie Kramer would become openly available. I would be endlessly listening to them. Jimi trying to record a guitar track like Bold as Love, 10 takes in a row. See where he messed up. Listen to the version on the The Jimi Hendrix Experience 4 cd box set. Truly insane. How many more of these kind of jewels are available. What we heard from him is only tip of the ice berg, 10%. I came to the point where I prefer these kind of recordings compared to the famous studio songs.

"It's too bad"
the problem I see, is that his sister, who is in charge of everything, doesn't seem to have a handle on the music side of things. I don't think she started out w/ a good business end practice either...

W/ that said, she doesn't seem to realize that, some music has certain potential & others is just what it was.

For instance, many music trading sites, have a "no officially published music allowed" policy. So, just to stop the fans of freely trading, she published some of the most horrendous bootleg recordings of him. I guess she thought that, that was stealing from her. :shrug:

IMO, those recording aren't worth much, on a commercial level.

There's been some good recordings floating around. I used to have a 50 CD box set, that was every track he ever recorded (supposedly), including different takes/mixes. Every track had studio date, location & take #. Some good stage, or soundboard recordings, of various shows.

I haven't been up on what she's released. I was talking w/ someone the other day, about the Jimi Hendrix Concerts 2 LP, that was released way back. I liked it, but, the way they spliced it together, it had no flow for playing it continuously. The concert feel was gone. It was too much song, snip, song, snip...

Most of the shows that they took the tracks from are available, either in bootleg form, or released officially now. Like my other post, she's releasing the LA Forum '69 show, which has had some excellent sounding bootlegs floating around for 50 years+...

I picked up the Paris '67 LP, which I posted about in the "what are you listening" thread. Not bad. The sound isn't perfect though, as the masters were distorted a bit, but not a bad sounding show, overall. You never know if the official release will have a cleaner source than that which has been floating around.

DBi5

Reaction score
teaserbox_12964969.jpg

teaserbox_12975172.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
50 cd box set? Say what?
I can't find much on it anymore. It used to be readily available online. I see parts of it & remnants of what it was...

here's part of it.

there's similar for '67, '68 & '70...

but that guy only is offering '69, I guess. I got it from some Russian site, years back. IIRC...

I know the guy that runs T.U.B.E above. He's pretty cool. Although, he uses slow file lockers which are worthless for me, as 1 CD will take me hours to download, when I can download a DVD from a not so capped site in 20 seconds...

Plexitim

Reaction score
Count me in as a member of the "suspect everything" group.

It is hard to revisit the loss of this artistic genius who gave so much. I do not personally think Hendrix finished what he was here to do. What I do think is that he was cut short - murdered. I think there are enough accounts saying the same thing that it has merit to support this - he was waterboarded with red wine yet his blood alcohol level was not particularly elevated.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I would sure love to see and hear what he would have done if he had lived.

I think he was just getting started.

If people would just have someone to be with them when they go on a bender, a sober eye to watch over them, and keep them from drowning their own vomit, the music scene would be different today. And richer.

I often wonder, which has the better house band? Heaven or Hell? I suspect Hell does, but the problem is that their equipment breaks down a LOT.

Phoenix1

Reaction score
there is a new recording coming out soon of live music. It is not bootleg it is an official Experience Hendrix sanctioned CD (I guess) maybe vinyl or both. Seems I just read about it a week or so ago !

21fret

Reaction score
Although having awesome talent, Eddie Kramer helped J.H. and helped with how he sounded. The better he sounded the more he was noticed as his popularity increased.

StingRay85

Reaction score
Count me in as a member of the "suspect everything" group.

It is hard to revisit the loss of this artistic genius who gave so much. I do not personally think Hendrix finished what he was here to do. What I do think is that he was cut short - murdered. I think there are enough accounts saying the same thing that it has merit to support this - he was waterboarded with red wine yet his blood alcohol level was not particularly elevated.
Didn't know this was a thing... I thought it was sleeping pills that was the real issue, not alcohol (like Bon Scott for example)