5150 Iconic....Wow!

pittbull

Reaction score
Strummer Joe love it man…….But all kidding aside I believe Howard Kaplan(amp designer of the EVH 5150 III) was still there, interesting.

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Strummer Joe love it man…….But all kidding aside I believe Howard Kaplan(amp designer of the EVH 5150 III) was still there, interesting.
I'll stop now. I just couldn't resist.

I can't think of anyone better to have designed the Iconic than James Brown. I like his work with Peavey, Kustom, and Amp Tweaker. He's a fantasic engineer and has had more winners than clunkers IMO.

pittbull

Reaction score
Strummer Joe no problem man Yes a agree with you about James Brown. I wonder if EVH/Fender would make a EL 34 version of the Iconic if that would even matter, it might.

pittbull

Reaction score
Moony I seen that YouTube clip very cool, Eddie was never concerned about the clean channel to begin with, you here these guys talking about the clean channel on the Iconic or 5150 III, the amp wasn’t designed for clean anyway, Eddie really never played clean he would just use his volume knob on his guitar.It’s all about gain with Edward.

Last edited:

Moony

Reaction score
They "fixed" the green/blue channel anyway with the added dual concentric gain and volume pots - and that was a popular mod before it became standard, so I'm pretty sure they saw that too and thought about an update then.

pittbull

Reaction score
The green channel on the Iconic with the boost engaged is like the blue channel on the 5150 III with alittle added gain thats how James Brown designed that very very cool. I was always a single channel guy but I could except the Iconic

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Strummer Joe no problem man we know why the other Iconic topic ended😂.Yes a agree with you about James Brown. I wonder if EVH/Fender would make a EL 34 version of the Iconic if that would even matter, it might.
I could hear a difference between the 5150 III amps. The 6L6 version sounded tighter to me.

@Guitarjon posted this comaprison.

pittbull

Reaction score
Moony are you a member on The Gear Page if you are James Brown the designer of the 5150 Iconic is a member there his name is Amptweaker at The Gear Page shoot him a PM to join the Marshall Forum if you like Thanks

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that tonight, partly by accident and partly on purpose, I NAILED the 5150 Iconic sound and feel on my JCM 2000/Boss GT-100 rig.

:dude:

Sorry, peasants. No sound clips!

Len

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that tonight, partly by accident and partly on purpose, I NAILED the 5150 Iconic sound and feel on my JCM 2000/Boss GT-100 rig.

:dude:

Sorry, peasants. No sound clips!
If a tree falls in the forest and no one records it… ;)

pittbull

Reaction score
I noticed something from Jim Gausted last YouTube post a week(Van Halen 1 sound)or so ago that he runs his variac at 60 volts and the 5150 iconic and the EVH 5150III are biased cold due the the transformers and the circuit to achieve the brown sound very interesting

Len

Reaction score
Anyone figured out how to rebias an Iconic yet? The manufacturer won’t say how.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone figured out how to rebias an Iconic yet? The manufacturer won’t say how.
Don't know where it's set yet. Soon I'll b checking mine. Get PV and set bias on the cool side for 6L6GC'S.

Only thing I've heard is bias is set on the cold side out of the factory. I won't know until I get in there and measure. Get some reference points.

The bias adjust is in the amp. Been lazy about taking chassis out. Soon. I'll be using my bias probes that read plate voltage too.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know where it's set yet. Soon I'll b checking mine. Get PV and set bias on the cool side for 6L6GC'S.

Only thing I've heard is bias is set on the cold side out of the factory. I won't know until I get in there and measure. Get some reference points.

The bias adjust is in the amp. Been lazy about taking chassis out. Soon. I'll be using my bias probes that read plate voltage too.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'm glad there are some honest opinions of the amp here rather than Youtube.
I see so many amp reviews on there that are multi tracked and layered.

That seems really dishonest to me. Literally any amp can sound good with expensive recording gear being used. It is just unrealistic in my opinion...

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad there are some honest opinions of the amp here rather than Youtube.
I see so many amp reviews on there that are multi tracked and layered.

That seems really dishonest to me. Literally any amp can sound good with expensive recording gear being used. It is just unrealistic in my opinion...
Any recording can make an amp favorable. Add IR's and processing and it gets studio stroked. No one's live performances sound like studio produced finished tunes we buy.

Best suggestion I can make is to play one. Try it out. If a player doesn't like it I respect that. It won't change the fact I do cause I'm playing the amp everyday. My ears really like it. I really like my other amps too. If it ain't fun I will pass on an amp.

So Bruthers go play one. They're available to demo. Take it or leave it. I still :drool:over mine.:D

Latest posts