20 watt combo shootout… help…

junk notes

Reaction score
76G7.gif

leewaun

Reaction score
Hello,

I, well actually my son (he’s 14), is looking for a 20 watt combo amp. Something that will hold its own in a small venue but not obnoxiously loud and/or heavy.
I bought an origin 20, but he/we like something a little more gain-y and even with pedals, that 10” speaker lacks ballz.
That leaves me with a DSL 20, basically. I found a used JCM 2000 201, but I don’t know how those compare to each other. There isn’t anything on YouTube or online comparing them. A silver jubilee is more than I want to spend and I/we would like reverb. Side note my main amp is a fender deluxe reverb. The guitars that would be played through the Marshall would be a Les Paul with classic 57s and a Jackson soloist with slightly hotter pickups than the 57s. 498/490 (I think those are the numbers)… at least the Duncan version of them.
Please help me.

***edit***
If I end up with a dsl… I will replace the speaker with a cream back. I don’t know what the 2000 201 has for a speaker
I got the DSL 20 new for $715 and I immediatly installed an vintage 30 speaker. And changed the V1 tube to 12xy7 tube which smoothed out the gain but there is so much still available

Attachments

• IMG_2716.JPEG
    IMG_2716.JPEG
    805.9 KB · Views: 3